MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, January 29, 2015 |  Madison, WI: 33.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Rock Against Rove!

Music news, rumors, what you're listening to, how you're listening to it and whether it's all on the up-and-up.

Rock Against Rove!

Postby spacetiki » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:00 am

This is AWESOME! Please help out this project if you can, it'll be worth it!

(Full Dislosure: a song from one of my bands will be on the compilation, but it's for the cause. We'll be compensated in satisfaction.)

Project: Courage and Consequence - an LP comp./ culture jam of bands against Rove

Project by Conan Neutron

About this project

The idea began as an internet rant and quickly has expanded since then.
Karl Rove, Bush's brain, the man behind George W. Bush's presidency wrote a memoir and had the unmitigated gall to call it "Courage and Consequence". I'm irritated by a lot of things, but this really rubbed me the wrong way. The architect of the Swift Boat Veterans, 2 wars, and our economic crisis taking a victory lap and making money on book tours? Courage?

The original idea was a "one off band" that wrote a bunch of songs about how lame/bad for America, and the world, Karl Rove is, release it at the same time and Googlebomb the whole internet to sow as much chaos into his book release as possible. Success would be measured by the amount of disorder brought to him, and by nothing else. Even if it never went further than my group of friends it would be worth it.

However, the response was overwhelming, and soon enough enough fantastic bands were interested that it only made sense to do as a compilation. It made sense to create something positive from this. The idea is to release free downloads of the record via the website, with participants, friends, fans, and the internet linking to it and raising its google search results, and a beautiful QUALITY vinyl record for audiophiles and those with the desire for a physical product. Additionally the artwork, for both, should be very similar to the book. (Ala: Going Rouge vs. Going Rogue)

It is a little known fact that most conservative books go to the top of the best seller list and quickly fall off because they are purchased en masse by right wing think tanks and churches and then given away for free.

We believe that by getting this project ready by the time Karl Rove's disgusting memoir is released we will be able to garner considerable attention (and maybe even confuse conservative book buyers) and, while it will be artistically viable on its own, will be a wonderful example of culture jamming.

Many more established and older artists such as Bob Dylan and Neil Young have called out wondering where the political voices are in music today. They are here but because of the nature of the current music industry we need some help to do anything that gets over the signal to noise ratio.

We stand against Karl Rove, his tactics and what he has wrought, and reject, in its entirety, the idea that turdblossom should get to do his victory lap unanswered.

Any additional money not going to the production of the physical compilation will be going directly to the bands and artists involved in this project, split in an even manner, to recoup recording costs. We do not plan on taking one cent of money as profit.

Costs for pressing of this record and digital distribution are just shy of $3000, there is mastering, laquer pressing, processing costs, labels, shrinkwrap, inserts and jackets... and that's just the physical production, not including the actual recording costs which are mostly handled by the bands.

My qualifications for this:
I was the international head of Bands Against Bush, whose only crime was registering young voters, yet it still got me on a "watch list".

I have played in rock bands for over 10 years, completed 5 US tours, and countless smaller ones, and independently released and distributed 5 full length albums, multiple eps and online singles.

Consider this a massive excercise in free speech and an earnest attempt to ruin a man's day that has directly wrecked so many lives.

Here is a list of participating bands so far:

Generalissiimo
Cartographer
Cold Lake
United Sons of Toil
Death Dream
Have Special Power
at least 2 bands I am in.
Poster Children (perhaps!)
Bottomless Pit/Tim Midgett (perhaps!)

Project location: Oakland, CA

link
Last edited by spacetiki on Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spacetiki
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Rock Against Rove!

Postby supaunknown » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:30 pm

Love to take part in this, but the $3G cost is prohibitive. Best of luck. Stick it to that jerk.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby spacetiki » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:54 pm

Thanks Sup, but actually donations are $1 min.

There's no way I would come on here asking folks to put up $3G!

Conan is trying to raise $3G total for the whole project.
spacetiki
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:11 pm

Wow, that's nice. If Digibot (or maybe the Sons of Atom) took part in this, obviously it'd be cooler if we could at least cover a fair share of costs. I'll talk to the boys on Sunday. When's he hoping to have all the elements in place for this project?
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby 7 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:21 pm

The way I understand this is that you are looking for bands to submit new subject relevant songs for consideration.

If so I have dibs on the song title Turd Blossom.

dickipedia
Forum Addict

Postby spacetiki » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:32 pm

Well, Conan is doing this pretty much on his own. I'm just being town crier here. I just now realized that it looks like this is my doing, but alas, I cannot take any credit whatsoever. I am merely lucky enough to play a very, very small part.

I'm not sure what the situation is right now as far as submissions go, but feel free to contact him through the link.

Ultimately he's trying to raise the $ by the end of the month so the release of the LP will coincide w/ the release of Rove's book. Thereby putting the GOOGLEBOMB in place and fucking with his promo and such.
spacetiki
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:28 pm

Sounds like I heard about this a bit too late. I sincerely wish the coincided release causes Rove many headaches. That guy is one evil sumbitch.

P.S. Heard the latest USOT release and it sounds great. The drums sound especially wonderful.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby spacetiki » Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:52 pm

Thanks Sup!
Another new one coming soon!

I read recently (on another forum :oops: ) that he needs submissions in by Feb 1st, but can't guarantee all will be included. Seriously e-mail him if you're interested. The 'Bot would be perfect methinks!

But he really needs to get some folks to pony up a couple bucks to get it done, otherwise all is for naught.

Here's the breakdown of incentives listed:

Pledge $20 or more
LIMITED REWARD 996 of 1000 remaining
Copy of the LP release, as well as digital access to compilation downloads 1 week before release date.

Pledge $50 or more
LIMITED REWARD 60 of 60 remaining
A signed copy of the LP compilation (by as many of the artists as we can get in one place). As well as digital access 1 week before release date.

Pledge $100 or more
LIMITED REWARD 30 of 30 remaining
Signed physical copy of the LP compilation, digital access, 1 week ahead of time. And your choice of full length release from any bands on the comp (as available).

Pledge $1,000 or more
LIMITED REWARD 60 of 60 remaining
Inclusion of an (up to) 1,000 word entry into the liner notes of the record and digital download package. (within editorial standards) . A a signed test pressing of the LP, and 5 copies of the final LP package. Along with everything included in the lower levels.

Also, pledges aren't charged until the goal is met and the deadline expires. If the $3G goal isn't met, no-one gets charged anything.
Last edited by spacetiki on Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spacetiki
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:54 pm

supaunknown wrote:Heard the latest USOT release...

No you didn't, unless you're talking about a different CD then the one I played for ya, which was their 2007 release, Hope Is Not A Strategy. It does sound great, though.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:37 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:
supaunknown wrote:Heard the latest USOT release...

No you didn't, unless you're talking about a different CD then the one I played for ya, which was their 2007 release, Hope Is Not A Strategy. It does sound great, though.

Oops. I'm not doing my best to keep up with things. Sorry.
That explains how it was recorded at Coney Island.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby conanneutron » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:41 pm

Hi all!
Just found this kind of happenstance.

The fundraising page is here:
Karl Rove: Courage and Consequence

We're at $1,150 of $3,000, and believe me... that's cutting costs as much as I can. U'm actually tearing my hair out right now, because if everybody that actually wants to be on it gets me a track, we might have too much for single vinyl.

Which is hard enough because it's something akin to tooth extraction to even pay for SINGLE vinyl.

Obviously the digital release can be as long as possible.

I don't care WHO you are, you can probably afford $1.
$20 gets you a copy of the compilation, postage paid.
I am paying every CENT of this out of pocket, and I'm barely able to keep the water on in my place. So, I am not being overdramatic when I say that EVERY DOLLAR COUNTS!

The fun part begins when the funding is over, people have a habit of disappearing/getting quiet whenever something needs to be paid for. :)
Don't just hope, help.
Please, we need it.
It'll take a village to bum out that jerk.
conanneutron

Return to General Music