MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, August 22, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 81.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Summerfest?

Music news, rumors, what you're listening to, how you're listening to it and whether it's all on the up-and-up.

Summerfest?

Postby jjoyce » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:37 am

Anybody gone/going?

I haven't been in years.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Summerfest?

Postby Uncle_Leaver » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:16 am

Honestly, I think I'd rather spend a day in an internment camp.

Really ... fucking Night Ranger? A Cheap Trick COVER BAND? What the fuck?! Are you, like, the only summer festival in the fucking world that couldn't book the actual band? Really?! And hasn't Dread Zeppelin's novelty expired yet? That shit was amusing for about 6 seconds back in '88.

"An Evening with RUSH?" Did I just see they actually billed it that way? You're a fucking prog rock band, not a Mark Twain impersonator, fer chrissakes.

Offspring? Counting Crows? The perennial trotting-out of Pat McCurdy's otherwise lifeless corpse?

Yeah sign me up ... to have my eardrums surgically removed.
Uncle_Leaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:22 am

Uncle_Leaver wrote:"An Evening with RUSH?" Did I just see they actually billed it that way? You're a fucking prog rock band, not a Mark Twain impersonator, fer chrissakes.

Just one evening?
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby juanton » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:37 am

I bet that chicken broaster sounds warm and punchy mic'd up with that there condenser:

juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:38 am

I used to go every year when Summerfest first started. In the last ten years or so, only once to see the Susan Tedeschi/Derek Trucks Band.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:40 am

About 5 years ago it seemed like I couldn't decide what day to go becasue there were so many acts I wanted to see. This year and last at least I can't find anything worth the trip. Maybe that's partially me getting old and not being into the new fandangled music the kids are listening to.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Michael Patrick » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:38 am

fisticuffs wrote: the new fandangled music the kids are listening to.

Like Rush.
Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kyle Motor » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:57 am

There are always a couple things I'd like to see, but they're never even close to being on the same day, so I never go.
Kyle Motor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:01 pm

Like Rush.

Nope. Never had any interest in paying the price for the big gigs. A few years ago I would have liked to see Spoon, Alkaline Trio, Andrew WK, Maritime, Lewis Black, The Roots etc. etc. Now all we get are WJJO bands, tributes, and not quite as huge country radio acts. Or scary screamo stuff the kids like that I can't get into.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:23 pm

There are actually a number of awesome things going on at Summerfest tonight, including...

* Joan Jett
* The Roots
* The B-52s
* Cameo (!!)
* The Hold Steady (who I dislike intensely, but it's still cool that they booked 'em)

On Saturday, you can see Modest Mouse (with Avi Buffalo opening) and Levon Helm (and my band).

I've never understood why so few people from Madison go to Summerfest - trust me, I am very, very well aware of the drawbacks (big crowds, lots of back hair, etc.) but there are always some acts worth seeing.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Goober McTuber » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:30 pm

The last time I went to see live music at Summerfest was blues night, probably around 1973. Luther Allison, Butterfield Blues Band, Muddy Waters and B. B. King. I believe that was the year they had a riot, people ripping off kegs from the beer tent and other assorted fun. Henry Jordan refused to book rock bands for a while after that.
Goober McTuber
Forum Addict

Postby jjoyce » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:06 pm

rrnate wrote:There are actually a number of awesome things going on at Summerfest tonight, including....

Yeah, but isn't there something wrong with that schedule? They're all on at the same time! The Roots and Hold Steady and Joan Jett would all be great to see, but they're playing simultaneously.

Many, many years ago, they would book similar bands on the same stage leading to a crescendo... like Gear Daddies --> Jayhawks --> NRBQ. Or Semisonic --> Son Volt --> Old 97s. I might be mixing up years there, but I know that when I went for a few years, I would pick one day and show up at like 2 to watch several bands in a row. Throw in a local band and you're going to actually discover something.

I was spoiled about five years ago when a friend produced some all-access passes allowing us to see, among others, Death Cab from the wings of the stage. They've got gratis beer back there! And it sounds pretty good, too. That kind of raises the bar to impossible heights.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:13 pm

jjoyce wrote:
rrnate wrote:There are actually a number of awesome things going on at Summerfest tonight, including....

Yeah, but isn't there something wrong with that schedule? They're all on at the same time! The Roots and Hold Steady and Joan Jett would all be great to see, but they're playing simultaneously.

Many, many years ago, they would book similar bands on the same stage leading to a crescendo... like Gear Daddies --> Jayhawks --> NRBQ. Or Semisonic --> Son Volt --> Old 97s. I might be mixing up years there, but I know that when I went for a few years, I would pick one day and show up at like 2 to watch several bands in a row. Throw in a local band and you're going to actually discover something.

I was spoiled about five years ago when a friend produced some all-access passes allowing us to see, among others, Death Cab from the wings of the stage. They've got gratis beer back there! And it sounds pretty good, too. That kind of raises the bar to impossible heights.

Well yeah, you do have a good point about how they book their stages - they definitely used to have more of a "theme" on a stage and it seems like they've stepped back from that. (I'm guessing it's logistically complicated/expensive.)

That being said, awesome is awesome, and it always feels like people around here ignore the good bits and just focus on the drawbacks.

Unrelated anecdote - a couple years ago, one of the guys from Goldfinger was briefly arrested by the Milwaukee PD for pulling some sort of stunt which involved shoving a twinkie up his butt on stage.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

These are people who have NEVER been laid

Postby Marvell » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:21 pm

Uncle_Leaver wrote:Really ... fucking Night Ranger?

I resent the implication that anyone fucks Night Ranger.

I mean...why do you think they're motoring to begin with?
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Sausagefest?

Postby Marvell » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:25 pm

Uncle_Leaver wrote:"An Evening with RUSH?" Did I just see they actually billed it that way? You're a fucking prog rock band, not a Mark Twain impersonator, fer chrissakes.

Actually, I think having a Mark Twain impersonator fronting for Rush is full of win.

Imagine the craaazy shit they could do for 'Tom Sawyer.' It would be Clemens-riffic!
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to General Music