MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Thursday, August 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 67.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

RIP Pinetop Perkins

Music news, rumors, what you're listening to, how you're listening to it and whether it's all on the up-and-up.

RIP Pinetop Perkins

Postby jman111 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:01 pm

Delta blues legend Pinetop Perkins passed away yesterday at home in Austin. At age 97, he was still playing weekly gigs and reportedly had over 20 shows booked for 2011. He just won a Grammy for Best Traditional Blues Album- the oldest ever Grammy winner.
This was a guy who knew Robert Johnson. We've lost another legend.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Re: RIP Pinetop Perkins

Postby Some Guy » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:12 pm

The back room at Doc's drinkin' Old Charter and smokin' Pall Malls. That was a lifetime ago. Shit, more like two, dependin' on how you look at it.

One night Pinetop and Homesick James were goin' on about some shit - I don't remember what - and he called Homesick an old man. "Who the fuck you callin' old, you fuckin' piano tuner!" Heh heh heh... they was both ancient fuckers to me at the time (Pinetop in his 70's and Homesick in his 80's). He showed me how to play a proper arpegio.

Last time I saw him was when I played the Biscuit in 2000. That's a whole other story...
Some Guy
Forum Addict

Re: RIP Pinetop Perkins

Postby EastSideTom » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:32 pm

I saw him with Muddy a few times. The last time I saw him was at the 2002 Madison Blues Festival. I was honored to shake his hand. RIP
EastSideTom
Forum Addict

Return to General Music