MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Wednesday, July 30, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 77.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Bill Callahan

Music news, rumors, what you're listening to, how you're listening to it and whether it's all on the up-and-up.

Bill Callahan

Postby john_titor » Thu May 19, 2011 9:42 pm

Anybody seen him live?

Is this the terrace?

http://www.dragcity.com/tours#tour_date_2580 wrote:7/2/11 University of Wisconsin Madison WI
john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Bill Callahan

Postby john_titor » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:48 pm

I guess no BC/Smog fans here. Looks like he IS playing the Terrace on the night of Rhythm and Booms. Not sure how that(I) will go.

NPR site - Tiny Desk that has a video of him playing a few songs acoustic, if you are curious.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... =106471639
john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:41 am

Wow! Glad you posted again, didn't see anything about this. I really like Smog and have really liked his last couple solo albums as well.

I'm assuming he plays solo - is that right? It does indeed seem like a misfire to have him there the night of Rn'Booms (really even if he has a large band).
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:02 am

When I've seen him live it's been with a band.
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby john_titor » Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:05 pm

Wow. I went to look this post up and saw the date. I cannot believe it has been two years. In my mind it was maybe this Summer or last. Anyway.

He did play on the terrace and had a band with him. Not to be negative, but it was possibly the worst sound I have ever experienced. Shame. The others I was with either wanted to see fireworks or were tired from fireworks. I can't remember and it has been two years, but we left. I got to see maybe four songs.

Well he is back in town and has a new album I just got today.

http://www.dragcity.com/products/dream-river

He will be at High Noon on 10/12/13. Bill, let me know if you would like to come over for dinner before the show. I make a mean brat and we could just chill in the backyard and listen to birds.

It really seems like Madison is flush with good shows lately. Still contemplating The Orb. Disappointed about Shuggie.
john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby john_titor » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:45 pm

Bill,

Come on. I am obviously your biggest fan in Madison. Throw me a bone here.
john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby john_titor » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:19 pm

Last post until he comes to town again in two years and I come here and say, "Wow. I went to look this post up and saw the date. I cannot believe it has been two years. In my mind it was maybe this Summer or last. Anyway."

His new album is really good. Same feel as his last two. A lot of times I want new but more of the same. That was the satisfaction I got with this album. New and more same good. I guess we call those sequels.

I encourage any reluctant fans or curious lookie-loos to investigate.

Come to the show or if you can't, if you could please ask your soundboard buddies to help a fella out and give me the good stuff, I'd give many thanks. Heck, I'll buy anyone that asks at the bar a strong drink! That's a promise. (but please don't sell out because I am going to get tix dos)

edit: Where to be for the "best" sound at HN? Or where not to be? Maybe that's the better question.
john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:02 pm

john_titor wrote:Where to be for the "best" sound at HN? Or where not to be? Maybe that's the better question.
The sound at HNS is usually top-notch.
Experience tells me that, no matter what the venue, the best sound is generally right by the soundboard, since that's where the sound guy's ears are most of the time.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby john_titor » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:34 pm

I know I said I wouldn't come back to this for two years, but I wanted to report in to the massive BC fanbase here at TDPF.

Wow the opening woman sucked. Fortunately for me I looked her up on YouTube ahead of time and came late. Then again I once was displeased with Camper Van opening for REM. What do I know.

As for BC, the sound was awesome. Thanks sound fella. When I read your suggestion Prof, I thought I remembered that the soundboard is in the deerpath to the whizzer. True enough. Instead I stood by those awkward, sight blocking supports in the middle.

Bill rocked. Made minimal small talk and failed to call me up to the stage as I had envisioned. No one asked me for a drink either.

I normally am tired of guitars. His guitarist was awesome. Really added a lot of texture and depth to Bill's simple words and sound. Good stuff. Exact same sound as on the new record. Flawless live. Percussionist was tight too.

It was weird to be at HNS listening to a band where no one was dancing. Maybe some swaying, but no dancing. I did not expect dancing, but it was different none the less.

Until 2015 http://www.johntitorfoundation.com/
john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Return to General Music