MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Skating at Olbrich
Thursday, March 5, 2015 |  Madison, WI: 4.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Amp for resonator guitar?

Music news, rumors, what you're listening to, how you're listening to it and whether it's all on the up-and-up.

Amp for resonator guitar?

Postby Galoot » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:42 pm

I'm having a pickup put in my Johnson resonator while it is being switched back to RH playing (loaned it to the left-handed Little Brother for a year or so).

I know absolutely nothing about amps, since I've always played acoustic. The pickup is a Schatten resonator pickup. I also have a piezo pickup in the bridge of my Taylor acoustic.

I'm thinking the Fender Champion 600 looks good, and it gets pretty good reviews. Any other suggestions? My budget is only up to maybe $200 max.
Galoot
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Amp for resonator guitar?

Postby Mean Scenester » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:26 am

Galoot wrote:I'm having a pickup put in my Johnson ...

Heh.

Sorry, couldn't resist. The Fender looks like a pretty cool amp, but it's probably not optimal for amplification of an acoustic instrument. An acoustic guitar combo would be a better bet if you're concerned about accurate reproduction of the high harmonics of your resonator or Taylor (though the resonator would probably fare better through a standard amp than the Taylor).

Most electric guitar amps are pretty low-fi in terms of their frequency response. If you go that route, I'd advise you try before you buy to make sure the sound is what you're after (and if it is, more power to you). If what you want is an amp that's going to sound like what you hear playing unplugged only louder, an acoustic amp is the way to go for sure. There are a number available in the $200 range. Do a search for "acoustic guitar combo" and see what the user reviews (on retailer sites and elsewhere) have to say.
Mean Scenester
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:30 am

If you're going to play a resonator with pickup the way it should be played, The Fender Blues Jr. or the Epiphone Valve Jr. would both be perfect. You'd have to look at used gear but they'd be worth it.

For the Taylor, however, you should stick with an acoustic combo amp as Meanie suggested above.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:16 pm

I love my Blues Junior for electric guitar, but I'm not wild about the way my acoustic sounds with it. Usually when I'm playing acoustic I use a DI box and go through the PA. Could be a good option for the resonator.

Old school bluegrass people just mike everything. That is, old school bluegrass people who aren't single-mike old school bluegrass people.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ivotedforcarlweathers » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:48 am

The $200 is going to be the tough part, but not impossible.

I'd say tube amp is the way to go. The assumption of blues comes with the resonator, so dirtier sounds would be gotten via the tubes. Check out Carvin, they have some smaller combo amps that are pretty versatile.

Clean sound, DI to a PA or mic a small Fender at low volume.
ivotedforcarlweathers
Forum Addict

Postby wack wack » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:22 pm

ivotedforcarlweathers wrote:The $200 is going to be the tough part, but not impossible.

I'd say tube amp is the way to go. The assumption of blues comes with the resonator, so dirtier sounds would be gotten via the tubes. Check out Carvin, they have some smaller combo amps that are pretty versatile.

Clean sound, DI to a PA or mic a small Fender at low volume.

A thought about Carvin: I have a Club Master 112 tube combo from the mid-90s. 6L6's and AX7's. The amp features both the most amazingly beautiful clean tones, and the most horrible overdrive tones I've ever encountered.

I kept it because it was easier than returning it, and later on came to really appreciate the clean side. But it was a lesson in the perils of mail order, and not being able to try something first.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Return to General Music