MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Wednesday, September 17, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 62.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

vintage microphones?

Music news, rumors, what you're listening to, how you're listening to it and whether it's all on the up-and-up.

vintage microphones?

Postby Galoot » Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:23 pm

I have three vintage microphones that don't seem to work. Two are Astatic (A T-2 and a T-3) and the third appears to be an Electro-Voice (although that's just on the pot-metal stand, the mic itself as a red K on it).

They all have 1/4" connectors, so they plug into my little Fender Champ 600, but only one of them even makes any clicks or pops when I tap the mic. They certainly don't amplify anything.

Is it a question of impedance matching, or are these old salt crystal microphones just shot? I can't seem to find much online about troubleshooting them.

I'd love to get one of them to work for playing blues harp.
Galoot
Forum God/Goddess

Re: vintage microphones?

Postby Galoot » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:48 pm

Oh, hey, I got one working. I poked around some more for information online, and apparently the weak link in these vintage mics is the 3-pin connector where the cable connects to the microphone. I switched the cables between the two Astatic T-3 mics, and got one to work.

It's pretty underwhelming with this silly little amplifier, but hey, "Juke" sounds a lot better through a mic and crappy amp, rather than just acoustic.
Galoot
Forum God/Goddess

Return to General Music