MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Monday, September 22, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 68.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Double albums that earn their girth

Music news, rumors, what you're listening to, how you're listening to it and whether it's all on the up-and-up.

Re: Double albums that earn their girth

Postby SombreroFallout » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:40 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:Living In The Past is a comp. But it contains a bunch of otherwise unavailable-on-LP stuff, so I don't see any reason to exclude it. By that logic, we must also include The Kink Kronikles. Hooray!

Some of it's live, too. I went out and tracked it down because a couple of the best tracks can't be (couldn't then be) found anywhere else and were originally published on Living in the Past. Then discovered the series of lesser-known tracks also unavailable elsewhere. All of Side Three is live.

I'll have to check out the Kink Kronikles. Which other Kinks albums you rec?
SombreroFallout
Forum God/Goddess

Postby SombreroFallout » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:42 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:
SombreroFallout wrote:I feel like there are half-a-dozen I'm forgetting, but several are live or compilations: Tull's Living in the Past, Cream Disreaeli Gears, Decade .. .

Disraeli Gears is a single lp, in studio and not a compilation. Wheels of Fire was a double album, with both studio and live material. Love "Crossroads." Not a fan of "Toad."

Right! Had 'em both and must've been distracted by all the bright colors . .. .

I vaguely remember Wheels of Fire being a bit choppy, somewhat hit or miss.
SombreroFallout
Forum God/Goddess

Postby SombreroFallout » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:23 pm

rrnate wrote:
Prof. Wagstaff wrote:Limiting myself to those not yet mentioned as I agree with the list so far, for the most part:

Quadrophenia THE WHO
At Fillmore East THE ALLMAN BROTHERS BAND
London Calling THE CLASH
Sign O' The Times PRINCE
Made In Japan DEEP PURPLE

Honorable mention: George Harrison's All Things Must Pass would've made a heckuva double, but nobody needs a triple.

It is my firmly held belief that "Lost In The Supermarket" is so terrible, it negates what is otherwise a pretty great album.

I saw that, which was why I mentioned it. It's a bright changeup in the equally stellar series of tracks that make up London Calling, and while they all hold up better than most, not all wear as well that one. Much as I love the album, it has it's ponderous moments when overplayed.

Including Live albums opens up a lot of territory.
SombreroFallout
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:40 pm

Kyle Motor wrote:In what I'm sure will be an extremely popular vote, I nominate ELO Out Of The Blue.

I liked Out of the Blue a lot, but it's memory is now marred by the disasters that immediately followed. (Although Time redeemed them somewhat) A New World Record would probably be the one that got the most play on my turntable.

The double LP that got the most play from me is probably Head East Live . They only had 2 studio albums out of about 10 during their career that were any good, but the live album (coincidentally featuring mostly songs from the two good studio albums) was awesome.

Tragically, the thing has never been released on CD. Even the "Arrows" album barely got a release. Nice cover for a 70's teenager.

Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:50 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:
Huckleby wrote:Got to include the White Album, unless 3 LPs are disqualified.

Mine's only a double album. You got three in yours?

Huckleby wrote:you got cheated.

No, I'd call that blessed.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby acereraser » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:04 pm

Pink Floyd - The Wall
acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:31 am

Frankie Goes To Hollywood
Welcome To The Pleasuredome
Say what you will about this band - gimmicky schtick, lackluster live performances, general cheeseballness ... This album is friggin' great. Or at least really, really good. Interesting song arrangements. Awesome production and mixing; it sounds amazing. There's a slightly sinister edge that comes across on this album (which they seem to pose-force awkwardly in live videos I've seen).
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:35 am

George Harrison's All Things Must Pass was a great album. Somebody already mentioned XTC's English Settlement, my favorite album of the era. Not too many double albums in the late 70's and 80's.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby chainsawcurtis » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:50 am

I was around as a kid when a lot of these LPs were first released and it's nice to think about records I haven't listened to in years. Nobody has yet mentioned the first 1969 Chicago set Chicago Transit Authority. Later albums aside this one has born repeated listening if only for Terry Kath's guitar work.

Plus, 1972's Roadwork from Edgar Winter's White Trash is outstanding live work. And while I assume compilations aren't allowed, the first Steve Miller Anthology (not the re-release with the Joker on it) is well worth listening to on a fairly regular basis. It combined all the good stuff he did from his first albums into a great collection.
chainsawcurtis
Forum Addict

Postby minicat » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:09 am

I shoulda thought about CTA. The 2nd & 3rd Chicago discs are also pretty solid throughout.

Also: Odessa by the Bee Gees. It's actually a bit short for a double but is pretty great.
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:09 am

Ducatista wrote:Bill Evans, Spring Leaves. Which probably doesn't really count... I didn't know until I tried to replace a lost copy that it was two earlier records (Portrait in Jazz and Explorations) packaged together.

As you point out, that was two albums, so your suggestion is out of order and stricken from the official transcript.
But I just remembered that a double live album was released of that greatest of great Bill Evans trios (Scott Lafaro on bass) called Live at the Villiage Vanguard. I think it is on seperate CDs now, but anyway that CD is just as great as the ones you like.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:13 am

chainsawcurtis wrote: the first 1969 Chicago set Chicago Transit Authority .

Good call.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:22 am

Huckleby wrote:
Ducatista wrote:Bill Evans, Spring Leaves. Which probably doesn't really count... I didn't know until I tried to replace a lost copy that it was two earlier records (Portrait in Jazz and Explorations) packaged together.

As you point out, that was two albums, so your suggestion is out of order and stricken from the official transcript.
But I just remembered that a double live album was released of that greatest of great Bill Evans trios (Scott Lafaro on bass) called Live at the Villiage Vanguard. I think it is on seperate CDs now, but anyway that CD is just as great as the ones you like.

Just wanted to call secondsies on this - Bill Evans is pretty amazing. (I like Bud Powell even more, but don't think there are any double lps from him, though I think they'd immediately qualify here.)
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby The Center Square » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:26 am

Lots of good stuff mentioned here.
I wonder about everyone's thoughts on a few Q's though.

- I get that cramming less tracks on a platter ups the fidelity, but what's the deal with regular LP's being broken INTO double LPs? (or LP3's as the Merge Records folks call 'em)
Recent culprits were Dead Meadow, Black Mountain, The National, Thee Oh Sees (3 sides with a doodle, but you still…), Darker My Love - I can go on and on. It bugs me as I I want to listen to an LP, not 2 EPS. Are other folks into these? - not the bands, save those jokes, but the format itself.

- I'm also seeing a ton more gate-folds for single LPs. Subpop and Matador seem to be digging this. - and it shows in their pricing. I'll pay it though, as I'm a sucker for interesting packaging. Are other folks buying into this?

Funny thing: when Double Nickels got put out on CD by SST originally, they had to cut a couple songs off of the record. That still kind of cracks me up.
The Center Square
Forum Addict

Location: Above Phyllis Diller & next to Waylan Flowers & Madame

Postby Kyle Motor » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:35 am

rrnate wrote:Actually, I'd add "Black Foliage" (double on LP) by Olivia Tremor Control - that's one where the sprawl really works in it's advantage.

Missed this post earlier, I'll cosign on that one.
Kyle Motor
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to General Music