MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, November 27, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 23.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Jazz is dead, very dead

Music news, rumors, what you're listening to, how you're listening to it and whether it's all on the up-and-up.

Jazz is dead, very dead

Postby Huckleby » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:55 pm

One of many good things about Madison is that there are a lot of jazz radio shows. Well, maybe not a lot anymore, but certainly enough.

The guy on public radio, Bob Parlocha, plays a lot of jazz recorded in the past 15 years. The Charter cable jazz channel also plays newer recordings, since they are hawking CDs.

I think newly recorded jazz is boring. I can't tell you why. Partly it is my prejudice, I am so in love with the sound of older recordings. I'm OK with the 1970's stuff, but after that, meh.

It's not that today's musicians are not playing jazz, or that it is commercial. But to my ears it has no soul. It is fancy music for brunch, too precise sounding. The improved recording allows you to hear the instruments better, that's a plus. I can't put my finger on my objection. The newer jazz is more cerebral, less from the gut.

Am I just an old fogey addicted to the simpler sounds and recording technology of the 50's and 60's? Do heroin addicts make better music that graduates of Juliard?
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Return to General Music