MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, December 18, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 27.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

The solo career that eclipses the band

Music news, rumors, what you're listening to, how you're listening to it and whether it's all on the up-and-up.

Re: The solo career that eclipses the band

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:44 pm

Stebben84 wrote:
Prof. Wagstaff wrote:On what planet has Daryl Hall's solo career eclipsed his work as half of the most successful duo in recorded music history?

I was thinking the same thing. I'm voting that one off the ship.

As I am not/was not a fan of either H & O or Hall's solo work, I'll concede that point.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:56 pm

Marvell wrote:Also, Peter Tosh.

Bigger than the Wailers?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:03 pm

Jacobim Mugatu

Waaay hotter than Frankie Goes to Hollywood.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby scratch » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:25 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:
Marvell wrote:Also, Peter Tosh.

Bigger than the Wailers?

Maybe it's a question of semantics, but I'd say that Tosh eclipsed the Wailers but not Bob Marley and the Wailers. Even the few Wailers albums that achieved respectable sales in Babylon (African Herbsman, Catch a Fire, and Burnin') seem to usually be referenced as Bob Marley albums.
scratch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:29 pm

Not sure what you are saying, the Wailers from 69->73 were the bee's knees. Never eclipsed by anybody.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby scratch » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:51 pm

Huckleby wrote:Not sure what you are saying, the Wailers from 69->73 were the bee's knees. Never eclipsed by anybody.

Seems to me that Bob Marley and the Wailers, from 1974 until Bob's death, eclipsed the original band and the former members, at least for the mass audience. That's why I said it could be a question of semantics. Bunny was an original member, too, and ultimately recorded more stuff than Peter solo or the original Wailers, but I wouldn't say that he eclipsed the Wailers. Or maybe I'm misunderstanding the term "eclipses" as it's being used in this thread.
scratch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:12 pm

scratch wrote: Seems to me that Bob Marley and the Wailers, from 1974 until Bob's death, eclipsed the original band and the former members, at least for the mass audience.

Ya, commercially for sure. I just think the the original Wailers got really good from years playing together, heard especially in the live recordings of 73. The Wailers of the late 70's were a stadium-friendly, giant touring production. Nothing bad about that sound, but the original small band was more spontaneous and intense. Peter Tosh, Bob Marley and Bunny Wailer in one band is hard to beat, they were the dreadlock beatles.

Are you named after Scratch Perry, the famous Reggae producer of 60's and 70's? (actually I'm not sure if I remember who Scratch Perry was so maybe "famous" is a little strong.)
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby scratch » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:34 am

Huckleby wrote:Are you named after Scratch Perry, the famous Reggae producer of 60's and 70's? (actually I'm not sure if I remember who Scratch Perry was so maybe "famous" is a little strong.)

Yes, the moniker is an homage to Lee 'Scratch' Perry. He's arguably more famous other places than he is in the U.S. Here he's more notorious. There are reggae fans (or maybe over-amped publicists) who call him the 4th Wailer because of his work with the band from the Soul Rebels era until they signed with Island. Of course there were already 4th and even 5th Wailers who were in the group in the late 1960s including Beverly Kelso, Junior Braithwaite, Rita Marley (when she was Rita Anderson), Cherry Smith, etc. And Bob left the band for a while when he moved to Delaware where he worked the night shift on a forklift while the Wailers carried on with their early recording career. Then there are records on which the Wailers backed other singers, too, like Picture on the Wall by Carl Dawkins and the Wailers.

Back to the thread title: how about Iggy? He's pretty much eclipsed the Stooges although lately there's been an upsurge in interest in the original band.
scratch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:08 am

I wasn't wild about Belinda Carlisle's solo stuff in the 1980s, but with four top-10 singles to the Go-Go's' three, including the number-one hit that the Go-Go's never landed, she loomed larger than her band. Arguably.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby keelio » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:56 pm

My wife's soundtrack has superseded my own...mellowing with age, I guess. Natalie Merchant stretched creatively after 10,000 Maniacs.
keelio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:04 pm

The Four Seasons. Frankie Valli.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:04 am

Right Bower wrote:Ronnie James Dio

Ozzy?

Dio's name maybe, but I am not sure if he ever had ticket or album sales that were bigger. I still think his best vocal was on "Mask of the great deceiver".

Ozzy yes, but more because of dumb luck than anything.
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:10 am

Kenneth Burns wrote:I wasn't wild about Belinda Carlisle's solo stuff in the 1980s, but with four top-10 singles to the Go-Go's' three, including the number-one hit that the Go-Go's never landed, she loomed larger than her band. Arguably.

She loomed large for a while but then lost some weight.

For as many problems as the Go-Go's had, their membership was more stable than most girl bands.
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:38 pm

Re: the Wailers -

Yes, I was referring to the original Wailers incarnation as a vocal group, consisting of Bob, Bunny, Peter, and various other (usually female) vocalists. Some of the recordings of the period are labled 'Bob Marley and The Wailers,' others are labled 'Peter Tosh and The Wailers' - so it's clear that the notion of The Wailers as the band that backed up Bob Marley was a later evolution.

This is, admittedly, semantical. But Tosh's (and Bunny's) solo work is, at its best, at least as good if not better than Burning and the earlier 'original Wailers' output.

Not that I don't love Burning. 'Small Axe' is the shit.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:52 pm

10000 Maniacs. Natalie Merchant.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to General Music