MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, October 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 39.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Science-fiction-themed music

Music news, rumors, what you're listening to, how you're listening to it and whether it's all on the up-and-up.

Re: Science-fiction-themed music

Postby Kenneth Burns » Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:01 pm

Bobby "Boris" Pickett's "Monster Mash" is sci-fi-themed to the extent that it alludes to the Frankenstein yarn, which I guess is proto sci-fi.

There's also Sheb Wooley's "The Purple People Eater." And Creedence Clearwater Revival's "It Came Out of the Sky." And Wings' "Venus and Mars (Reprise)." And Wings' "Magneto and Titanium Man"?
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:26 pm

Can't believe this thread is on page two and nobody's mentioned Hawkwind yet. Sample song titles: "Quark, Strangeness and Charm", "Mutation Zone", "Fahrenheit 451", "Love In Space", "Hyperdrive", "The Nazca", "Veterans Of A Thousand Psychic Wars", "Time We Left This World Today", "Spiral Galaxy 28948", "Space Is Deep", "Space Love", "Space Sex", "Space Dust", "Space Chase"...
In the '70s, Sci-fi/fantasy author Michael Moorcock wrote lyrics for them and they served as his backing band for a (pretty good, actually) solo record.
Also: They have an album recorded live at Stonehenge!
I was just at Madcity Music the other day and was very happy to see a Hawkwind album in the new release bin.
Long live Hawkwind!

"'39" by Queen, about faster-than-light interstellar travel, gets extra credit for having been penned and sung by Brian May, an actual Ph.D. astronomer who now serves on Astronomy magazine's editorial board.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kyle Motor » Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:03 pm

"Space Truckin'" by Deep Purple
Kyle Motor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:45 pm

Planet Claire / B-52s
Cosmic Girl / Jamioquai
Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots / Flaming Lips
After the Gold Rush / Neil Young
Spaceman / The Killers

A few of those maybe too metaphorical to count? The first two are solid, though.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby scratch » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:50 am

Space Cowboy from the Steve Miller Band's pre-top 40 days
scratch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:38 am

I can't believe none of you guys have mentioned the one and only Mr. Frank Black! A good chunk of songs across his first three solo albums (culminating in "The Cult of Ray", a reference to Mr. Ray Bradbury) are sci-fi themed and also quite rad. Also, of course that last Pixies album "Trompe Le Monde" has multiple cool sci-fi tunes as well. For my money, some of the best sci-fi oriented music of all time exists across these recordings.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby eriedasch » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:44 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:Can't believe this thread is on page two and nobody's mentioned Hawkwind yet...
Long live Hawkwind!

I was going to, but got busy. I went thru a little space rock phase years ago and got into Gong, Hawkwind, and Ozric Tenticles. Rush might even fall into the broad category.

Good call on BOC. Not just Godzilla, but it seems a majority of their work is related to space or science fiction.
eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to General Music