MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Wednesday, October 1, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 49.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

RnR Hall of Fame nominees

Music news, rumors, what you're listening to, how you're listening to it and whether it's all on the up-and-up.

Re: RnR Hall of Fame nominees

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:25 pm

Yeah, DC5 got in the year after Wenner initially frustrated their induction (on a technicality -- he claimed the votes to put them over Grandmaster Flash came in late, but most insiders said it was a conscious act to guarantee some hip-hop made it in.)
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kyle Motor » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:15 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:Yeah, DC5 got in the year after Wenner initially frustrated their induction (on a technicality -- he claimed the votes to put them over Grandmaster Flash came in late, but most insiders said it was a conscious act to guarantee some hip-hop made it in.)

Mike Smith, lead singer/keyboardist of DC5 passed away after they got hosed, but before they were officially inducted.

Wenner is a dick, and Rolling Stone has been a useless rag for a loooooooooooooong time.
Kyle Motor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby scratch » Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:48 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:[Wenner]claimed the votes to put [the DC5] over Grandmaster Flash came in late, but most insiders said it was a conscious act to guarantee some hip-hop made it in.)

At the risk of finding out more than I want to know about how Wenner runs things, I have to ask: is there a limit as to how many acts can be inducted in a year? It's been a while since I read an issue of RS...
scratch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:00 pm

I'm a little fuzzy on the details, but it's my understanding that there is a nominating committee comprised of "historians", which Wenner was sage enough to appoint himself to. Each year, a dozen or so performers are nominated by this committee and then ballots are sent to 500 or so journalists, music industry folks, and producers, who then vote "yes" or "no". Anyone who gets over a certain percentage of "yes" votes gets inducted. Generally, that means around half a dozen performers each year. But there's also special categories for non-performers, "early influences", and "sidemen", and Jann only knows when and how those decisions are made. Plus, this year they backtracked and inducted an additional six groups whose leaders had already been included (and who rightly should have been included in the first place, IMHO): (Smokey Robinson and) The Miracles, (James Brown and) The Famous Flames, (Bill Haley and) The Comets, (Gene Vincent and) The Blue Caps, (Hank Ballard and) The Midnighters, and (Buddy Holly and) The Crickets.

So to answer your question, the whole shebang appears to be completely arbitrary.

(And if anyone knows better, please correct me -- except for this year's backing groups, I did not bother looking this shit up.)
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:33 pm

Yeah, Marsh and Wenner come off as tools by and large. Apparently artists that are in the hall have some influence over who is nominated - perhaps that has helped some of these long-ignored acts get nominated.

They claim to want influential acts, but then exclude them. Kiss was a hugely influential band. Their music sucked, their songs sucked, and the one decent musician was the drunk guy. But they were every bit as influential as Velvet Underground, who also had some crappy musicians.

For quite a while, you pretty much had to be an act from England /East Coast/California, or be black, to get in. In the last 6 or 7 years they have cast a bigger net geographically at least.

I assume PE will get in this year, and NWA at some time in the next 3 years. Deep Purple belongs in - it will be interesting to see who is included. Rush, who I never cared for until they started making shorter songs, belongs in as well. I have to think that Kraftwerk will eventually get in.

Of the remaining ones, Heart seems the least likely. The only really unique aspect was that the women wrote most of the songs early in their career. During the 80s-90s comeback, about 2/3 of their albums (and all the singles) were written by outside writers. When they were asked after their nomination last year who would go in with them if elected, they said "I dunno - I guess our current band?" Unlikely. I'm not sure what makes them more deserving than Pat Benetar, or what separates them from Foreigner (who had better songs) Kansas (who had better musicians) or Journey (who had Randy Jackson and that weird beetle thing).
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:57 pm

I have a hard time finding any respect for the RnR HOF as they have repeatedly denied Little Feat a place in their "hall." Then I went to the HOF and saw what bullshit it really was, so I "got it". Never going back again.
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stu Levitan » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:13 am

I'm happy to see Randy Newman, Albert King, Butterfield nominated. But Little Feat and New Riders of the Purple Sage should both be in. The E Street Band, too.
Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:09 pm

Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:41 pm

Wow, what is going to be the final jam with that group? Born Under a Bad Sign" maybe? I don't see anyone else that has a good "have at em" type of song. Maybe they can all sing "I love LA".

I saw that Ann Wilson is "happy" that their other members of Heart will probably be inducted, but she will not allow them to play. Sounds similar to Blondie and CCR from years past.

Note to artists: most bands in the HOF have three phases - the "long way to the top" phase, the popular phase(s), and the "more intimate venues" phase. Nobody cares about who was in the band in that last phase, even if it lasts 10 times as long as the other two. If BOC ever gets in, it sure isn't going to be because they had freaking Rudy Sarzo playing bass in 2008.

A good rule of thumb - if your band member doesn't get to vote on anything more important than lunch, they are not a band member. They are on staff.
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to General Music