MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Wednesday, October 1, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 50.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Musicians who flummox

Music news, rumors, what you're listening to, how you're listening to it and whether it's all on the up-and-up.

Re: Musicians who flummox

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:01 pm

I thought Zappa hated hippies.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mean Scenester » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:51 pm

I was talking about Garcia.

p.s. Everybody hates hippies, besides hippies ... and even a few of them are on the fence, I think.
Mean Scenester
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:42 pm

Sorry, should have been more specific: Deborah Koons Garcia, his wife when he passed. The Marley estate has been crazy, no doubt, but I think there will be a market for anything Marley for another century. Zappa stuff, not so much. When our generation croaks, Frank won't be relevant anymore. I think they should get on it while there are still folks left to buy the stuff. It's funny how legacies work- funny and wholly unpredictable. And hippies aren't immune to litigation once they realize how much money they are getting ripped for:)
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mean Scenester » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:19 pm

david cohen wrote:When our generation croaks, Frank won't be relevant anymore.\

That's a load of solipsistic horseshit, man.

One might just as easily surmise that Frank won't truly be relevant until your generation croaks.
Mean Scenester
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:52 pm

I see, so YOUR kids will be buying Live Frank Zappa Archival releases???? hahahahaha!
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mean Scenester » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:32 am

david cohen wrote:I see, so YOUR kids will be buying Live Frank Zappa Archival releases???? hahahahaha!

Um ... maybe. Newsflash: The youngest of Zappa's fans now were too young to have seen him before he passed away.

Anyway, I'm not sure why someone's relevance as a composer would be based solely on the sales of whatever archival releases his estate might choose to put out. If you want to claim that when you fogies kick over there won't be as big a market for new recordings, fine. That's arguably the case, I suppose. But Zappa is widely regarded as a brilliant composer apart from his rock icon status. Aside from recordings, his compositions will continue to be studied and performed by artists young and old.

And last I checked, Stravinsky was still selling records.
Mean Scenester
Forum God/Goddess

Postby scratch » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:26 am

Mean Scenester wrote:
david cohen wrote:I see, so YOUR kids will be buying Live Frank Zappa Archival releases???? hahahahaha!

Um ... maybe. Newsflash: The youngest of Zappa's fans now were too young to have seen him before he passed away.
Anyway, I'm not sure why someone's relevance as a composer would be based solely on the sales of whatever archival releases his estate might choose to put out. If you want to claim that when you fogies kick over there won't be as big a market for new recordings, fine. That's arguably the case, I suppose. But Zappa is widely regarded as a brilliant composer apart from his rock icon status. Aside from recordings, his compositions will continue to be studied and performed by artists young and old.
And last I checked, Stravinsky was still selling records.

I have to agree with Scenester here. My son and many of his friends are Zappa fans. In one case in particular one of those friends had to grudgingly reassess his old man's taste in music after he discovered the parents' Zappa holdings (how unlikely: Frank brings the generations together). The recent ZPZ show at the Barrymore had a lot of young fans there, too (or at least they seemed "young" to me).

And I think it's pretty clear that FZ (and, by extension Gail & Dweezil) always thought that Frank's legacy would be his "serious" stuff, the jazz and classical components of his work. In a world where Rod the Mod and Bob Dylan flourish by recording albums of piano bench songs, I thing the continued appeal of Frank's work is a pretty safe bet.
scratch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:41 pm

I'm only talking about archival releases being economically viable after a certain point in time, not Frank's legacy being put to pasture. Or maybe I'm just greedy for more and better quality stuff. Lord knows I don't need anymore, but that itch needs constant attention;)

But hey, we're far afield here, no?
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to General Music