MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, December 27, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 45.0° F  Light Rain Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Synths drive the Cars

Music news, rumors, what you're listening to, how you're listening to it and whether it's all on the up-and-up.

Synths drive the Cars

Postby Kenneth Burns » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:12 am

Cars keyboardist Greg Hawkes is a freakin' genius. Without Hawkes, there are no Cars. Discuss.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Synths drive the Cars

Postby Kenneth Burns » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:14 am

I listened to "My Best Friend's Girl" about 80 times in a row before coming to this conclusion.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:15 am

He's not a virtuoso, but he's great at textures. And he's great at coming up with little variations that make Pavlov's pop fans salivate.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:26 am

I'm with Joe Theismann - a guy like Norman Einstein is a genius.

But I do like the Cars. Bye, bye love.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:17 pm

The Cars Debut album - 10 out of 10

Candy-O - 9.5 out of 10

I bought Panorama right when it came out. I was not amused. An album purchase given my salary at the time was an important decision. Clearly past performance did not indicate future results.

Everything later than that -YMMV. Clearly, the public liked this stuff even more than the first two albums. I didn't care for the singles that they released from their later albums, so I didn't end up picking them up until much much later, usually for a quarter at a rummage sale. One of them had a note written on the inner sleeve - "This album sounds bad on any audio system" or something like that.
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:43 pm

It's interesting what Hawkes says in that profile I linked to about the recording of Heartbeat City with Mutt Lange:

I've always gone for the idea of using just one sound per part ... so this kind of orchestral sound, this layering process, is new for me. I can't really say which I like better.

Gotta say, the layers of keyboards in "Magic" are glorious, especially in the chorus. They make that song. Washes of keyboards. Oceans of keyboards.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:51 pm

Yeah, those first two Cars LPs are fantastic, nearly-perfect records.
And yes, the synths are some of the best ever, but Easton is a seriously underrated guitarist, imo. He does amazing, unexpected things all the time which can easily go unnoticed if you're not paying attention.

I still enjoy most of the singles from Heartbeat City, but I'm not kidding myself that they're anything more than great radio songs. I assume the reason they get hated on is that they're not ground-breaking awesome, they're just well-made pop songs. "Magic" is a quintessential summer song, in my book. Can't honestly say when the last time I listened to the whole album was. I do wonder if there are any deep cuts I should be more cognizant of.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:17 pm

Like Jerry Harrison and Steve Nieve, Greg Hawkes was a New Wave keyboardist in what was basically a guitar band. Particularly in the early days, they played simple keyboard parts, perhaps in reaction to the keyboard excesses that prevailed in the 1970s, especially in prog.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Return to General Music