MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Thursday, July 24, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 74.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

The Giant Wagstaff CD Listening Project Thread

Music news, rumors, what you're listening to, how you're listening to it and whether it's all on the up-and-up.

Re: The Giant Wagstaff CD Listening Project Thread

Postby flanneljammies » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:48 am

I'm going on record saying that I still love the shit out of Eagles Greatest Hits 71-75 (the blue one with the bird skull on the cover). I got it for Christmas when I was a kid (LP, natch). Got rid of it in college when I got into punk rock. I found it at a garage sale on vinyl several years ago and promptly snapped it up. Still kills.

I actually sung "Take It Easy" with a friend's band once! I know... weird.
flanneljammies
Forum Addict

Postby flanneljammies » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:52 am

hahaha. Looking at the wikipedia page now. Every single fucking member is credited with either "lead guitar" or "lead vocals."
flanneljammies
Forum Addict

Postby scratch » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:12 am

Kenneth Burns wrote:Someone remind me what's wrong with not hating the Eagles.

It's music, so to me there's nothing wrong with hating or not hating any particular act. I still have a soft spot (possibly in my head) for the Ohio Express, particularly since I hear echoes of them in the Ramones. But as to the Eagles, when they came out they sounded like a more commercial, more fan-friendly version of the Flying Burrito Brothers or even the New Riders of the Purple Sage to me. Around that time we had neighbors who could have been the inspiration for "Life in the Fast Lane," so I happily listened to the Eagles on the radio, but never bought any of their stuff.

Now the Eagles of Death Metal, OTOH, are a different story.
scratch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:57 am

While it's not like I love the Eagles or anything, I do think that "hating" them has become a thing in and of itself, with little to do with the quality of their music at this point. I think they have plenty of decent radio hits and I'd put 'em on par with something like Boston (sorry) or even KISS.

Speaking of KISS - why is it that no one cares that KISS are all assholes, but everyone holds it against the Eagles for being the same? It is the peaceful, easy vibe being incongruity with Don Henley being a nasty little man?
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:58 am

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:
rrnate wrote:
Prof. Wagstaff wrote:Next up... Echobelly!

*SPIT TAKE!*
I have no idea what to make of this.

It just really cracked me up that you have an Echobelly CD and I really did spit take when I read that, which required a bit of explaining at work.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:17 am

Looooooooooooooooovvvveeed the Eagles as a kid. I'm pretty sure I probably still have the two greatest hits albums. Don't necessarily ever want to pull out those records other than one absolute killer ("Heartache Tonight"), one nice harmony cover ("Seven Bridges Road") and one extremely indefensible guilty pleasure ("Witchy Woman"), but god knows I could probably still recite the words to all the other hits at the drop of a hat.

Out of curiosity/nostalgia I've picked up and ditched the individual albums during the past decade, and none are "bad" in any way but they all just kinda sit there in a sort of ersatz '70s California drug haze.
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Toonces » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:09 pm

minicat wrote:they all just kinda sit there in a sort of ersatz '70s California drug haze.

You mean to say that they "are so smooth".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcb-K8k-OAE
Toonces
Forum Addict

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:42 pm

Kenneth Burns wrote:Someone remind me what's wrong with not hating the Eagles.
Absolutely nothing. Those of us who've rejected them in our adult years (notice that we pretty much all admit to having liked'em just fine back in the day) just enjoy ripping on them. Frankly, I like dissing Steely Dan much more, but I won't be in the "S" section for another coupla years...

Honestly, the reason I hate'em so much is two-fold:
1) They define a certain kind of L.A. smarmy laid-back countryish "rock" that I just generally dislike. (Notice they are neither country nor rock in that sentence.)
2) They are obviously talented but chose to aim squarely for the mediocrity which would rocket them to top of the charts instead of actually created interesting music.

flanneljammies wrote:I actually sung "Take It Easy" with a friend's band once! I know... weird.
I would LOVE to sing this with a band. 100% serious.
flanneljammies wrote:hahaha. Looking at the wikipedia page now. Every single fucking member is credited with either "lead guitar" or "lead vocals."
See, they're less a band than a gathering of egos.

rrnate wrote:I think they have plenty of decent radio hits and I'd put 'em on par with something like Boston (sorry) or even KISS.
This is the usual rrnate crazy talk we've all come to know and love.
Boston wasn't a band, it was a basement project carefully coordinated by a lone genius. (I ignore the fact the Boston made more than a single album, because there's absolutely no good reason to listen to anything else.) It's a guitar and production showcase, and it's unlike anything else anybody else had ever done. Boston invented their own sound; Eagles just watered down everyone else's sound (one of the reasons I like "Hotel California" is that I think it sounds very unique.)
Kiss was watered-down New York Dolls, to be sure, but then, like the Eagles, they were aiming squarely for their bank accounts. That said, they made tons of awesome rock and roll records, something Eagles only dream of. I would never try to persuade a Kiss-hater that they're missing out on anything of true musical value (or integrity), but I would argue they're missing out on some good clea...er... I mean, dirty, misogynistic fun.

rrnate wrote:Speaking of KISS - why is it that no one cares that KISS are all assholes, but everyone holds it against the Eagles for being the same?
The fact that the Eagles are assholes only becomes fuel for mockery after you've already decided to hate them (at least, that's how it should be.) Disliking the sound of music because the folks who made it are dicks is nonsensical. But hating dicks even more because they made shitty music too makes perfect sense. If I didn't listen to music made by assholes, I'd only have one shelf of CDs. Chuck Berry pretty much proves that it's pointless to hate the man at the expense of his music.

minicat wrote:one absolute killer ("Heartache Tonight")
I am baffled by your (and Kyle's) love of this dreadful, wretched headache of a song. One of my least fave Eagles hits, by a pretty huge margin. Tonight I shall drink a toast to the vagaries of individual taste.

rrnate wrote:It just really cracked me up that you have an Echobelly CD
They must connote something I am unaware of. I picked up Echobelly (I have the first two albums plus some other collected singles and such) back in my Disc-Go-Round days -- just something I popped in off the racks which I enjoyed -- and revisiting them yesterday, found it pleasant if not exactly enthralling. Pretty much just jangly Brit-pop. What's the joke I'm missing?

Strange that nobody wants to talk about the motherfucking Easybeats...
Next up... Billy Eckstine!
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:16 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:Honestly, the reason I hate'em so much is two-fold:
1) They define a certain kind of L.A. smarmy laid-back countryish "rock" that I just generally dislike. (Notice they are neither country nor rock in that sentence.)

So, you'll probably stab me with a shattered CD the next time you see me, but I don't see a huge difference between the Eagles (at least, that '71-'75 era) and that country rock Mike Nesmith stuff that you like. Specifically, "Mama Nantucket" sounds pretty similar to "Already Gone".

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:
rrnate wrote:I think they have plenty of decent radio hits and I'd put 'em on par with something like Boston (sorry) or even KISS.
This is the usual rrnate crazy talk we've all come to know and love. Boston wasn't a band, it was a basement project carefully coordinated by a lone genius. (I ignore the fact the Boston made more than a single album, because there's absolutely no good reason to listen to anything else.) It's a guitar and production showcase, and it's unlike anything else anybody else had ever done. Boston invented their own sound; Eagles just watered down everyone else's sound (one of the reasons I like "Hotel California" is that I think it sounds very unique.)
Kiss was watered-down New York Dolls, to be sure, but then, like the Eagles, they were aiming squarely for their bank accounts. That said, they made tons of awesome rock and roll records, something Eagles only dream of. I would never try to persuade a Kiss-hater that they're missing out on anything of true musical value (or integrity), but I would argue they're missing out on some good clea...er... I mean, dirty, misogynistic fun.

So yeah, but basically KISS is just watering down something you already like, whereas the Eagles aren't, right? At any rate, I like both acts pretty much exactly the same. (However, KISS don't have a Joe Walsh, whom I don't even think about when I think of the Eagles - in my reality, he just has them as his backup band here and there on his awesome stuff.)

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:
I am baffled by your (and Kyle's) love of this dreadful, wretched headache of a song. One of my least fave Eagles hits, by a pretty huge margin. Tonight I shall drink a toast to the vagaries of individual taste.

Hey, agreed! The only thing "Heartache Tonight" kills is blues music, once and for all. It's terrible.

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:
rrnate wrote:It just really cracked me up that you have an Echobelly CD
They must connote something I am unaware of. I picked up Echobelly (I have the first two albums plus some other collected singles and such) back in my Disc-Go-Round days -- just something I popped in off the racks which I enjoyed -- and revisiting them yesterday, found it pleasant if not exactly enthralling. Pretty much just jangly Brit-pop. What's the joke I'm missing?!

Echobelly fall DEAD CENTER in the target of everything I despise about jangly wangly, wet toast mid-tempo "Britpop", and I can't picture you and your cats listening to them. I have learned to accept that we are all snowflakes, but reserve the right to laugh about you holding on to that stuff.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:23 pm

rrnate wrote:
So, you'll probably stab me with a shattered CD the next time you see me, but I don't see a huge difference between the Eagles (at least, that '71-'75 era) and that country rock Mike Nesmith stuff that you like. Specifically, "Mama Nantucket" sounds pretty similar to "Already Gone".

oh. MY. GAWD.

next time I see you, I am going to punch you, and then barf on you. and that's if you're lucky.
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:27 pm

rrnate wrote:So, you'll probably stab me with a shattered CD the next time you see me, but I don't see a huge difference between the Eagles (at least, that '71-'75 era) and that country rock Mike Nesmith stuff that you like. Specifically, "Mama Nantucket" sounds pretty similar to "Already Gone".

I am cyberstabbing you now as we speak!
I don't hear ANY similarity between "Mama Nantucket" and "Already Gone" (no link necessary, as we can all listen to it in our heads.)
Fellow forons: Do you have any idea what nate is talking about here?

And if you think this gorgeous masterpiece sounds like Eagles then I'm completely at a loss.
Why don't you grow a pair... of ears!

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:So yeah, but basically KISS is just watering down something you already like, whereas the Eagles aren't, right?
Well, no. I love lots of great country-rock. The Eagles just suck at it.

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:Joe Walsh, whom I don't even think about when I think of the Eagles - in my reality, he just has them as his backup band here and there on his awesome stuff.
This is wise. Although I'd imagine Walsh fit in because he was probably an asshole; he was just a hilarious asshole (who already had several great albums and bands under his belt before selling his soul to all the money the Eagles could provide him.)
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kyle Motor » Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:29 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:

What's not to love about "Heartache Tonight" (DESPITE it being co-written by Bob "I Am Terrible" Seger). I firmly agree with minicat on "Seven Bridges Road", and completely disagree on the gross "Witchy Woman". My Eagles #3 is "Take It Easy" (DESPITE being co-written by Jackson "I Am Truly Awful" Browne).

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:Strange that nobody wants to talk about the motherfucking Easybeats...

Easybeats throw me off, as I should really like them more than I do. They have a handful of winners that I totally love. They have too many songs that are OK, but don't seem to go the extra mile for them to really strike me. There's enough there to keep me revisiting though, and I'm guessing more will grab my attention in the future. I'm curious to hear some of the Stevie Wright (former lead singer) solo stuff, as it appears to be mostly written & produced by Vanda/Young.
Kyle Motor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:32 pm

Kyle Motor wrote:I'm curious to hear some of the Stevie Wright (former lead singer) solo stuff, as it appears to be mostly written & produced by Vanda/Young.
His 1974 LP Hard Road is pretty excellent. But while Vanda/Young produced it, they only wrote three tracks for it -- the rest were penned by Wright.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kyle Motor » Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:33 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:Fellow forons: Do you have any idea what nate is talking about here?

I never have any idea what he's talking about. He's been driven mad by too many Tangerine Dream soundtracks and vegan delusions. And ska.
Kyle Motor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:49 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:
rrnate wrote:So, you'll probably stab me with a shattered CD the next time you see me, but I don't see a huge difference between the Eagles (at least, that '71-'75 era) and that country rock Mike Nesmith stuff that you like. Specifically, "Mama Nantucket" sounds pretty similar to "Already Gone".

I am cyberstabbing you now as we speak!
I don't hear ANY similarity between "Mama Nantucket" and "Already Gone" (no link necessary, as we can all listen to it in our heads.)
Fellow forons: Do you have any idea what nate is talking about here?

And if you think this gorgeous masterpiece sounds like Eagles then I'm completely at a loss.
Why don't you grow a pair... of ears!

I just listened to both songs and stand by my assertion. I mean, there is probably some other Eagles song that sounds even more like Mama Nantucket, but Already Gone (which does have some really, really terrible guitar chooglin' going on there) will do nicely for now.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to General Music