MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Tuesday, September 16, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 57.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

The Giant Wagstaff CD Listening Project Thread

Music news, rumors, what you're listening to, how you're listening to it and whether it's all on the up-and-up.

Re: The Giant Wagstaff CD Listening Project Thread

Postby rrnate » Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:52 pm

Kyle Motor wrote:
Prof. Wagstaff wrote:Fellow forons: Do you have any idea what nate is talking about here?

I never have any idea what he's talking about. He's been driven mad by too many Tangerine Dream soundtracks and vegan delusions. And ska.

The TONE of what you're typing is very defamatory, but Tangerine Dream's soundtracks and ska are both pretty good a lot of the times, so, seems like you got nothing Motor.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:53 pm

minicat wrote:
rrnate wrote:
So, you'll probably stab me with a shattered CD the next time you see me, but I don't see a huge difference between the Eagles (at least, that '71-'75 era) and that country rock Mike Nesmith stuff that you like. Specifically, "Mama Nantucket" sounds pretty similar to "Already Gone".

oh. MY. GAWD.

next time I see you, I am going to punch you, and then barf on you. and that's if you're lucky.

I don't like the image of minicat being able to barf at will to show aggression, like some kind of weird lizard or something.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby scratch » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:03 pm

After refreshing my memory of Earth Wind & Fire's early stuff, I do hear the jazz influences. Kind of reminded me of Weather Report and Return to Forever, at least in the sense of jazz influences on mainstream music. The disco-ization of R&B killed the appeal of a lot of bands for me; maybe I gave up too early on EWF. For that matter, too much disco influence almost dented my love of George Clinton with Funkadelic's The Electric Spanking of War Babies.

As far as the Eagles vs. KISS, I think a big factor in how the individual members are perceived relates in part to how far the sleazy reality appeared to be from the media flak. The Eagles were supposed to be smooth California cowboys and turned out to be cocaine cowboys instead, the kind of guys who might use 'ludes to entertain underage prostitutes. (In fairness, as far as I know only Henley did this). KISS dressed up funny, played loud basic rock music and blatantly invited the kiddies to get down with their horny selves.
scratch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby donges » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:22 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:"Mama Nantucket"

Damn you. This is now stuck in my head for the rest of the day.
donges
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:24 pm

If nothing else, I'm excited to learn we all agree Jackson Browne is terrible, Take It Easy (and "These Days" as sung by Nico) notwithstanding.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:46 pm

scratch wrote:too much disco influence almost dented my love of George Clinton with Funkadelic's The Electric Spanking of War Babies.
I can dig that album, it's Parliament's Trombipulation that's a total disco-fied wasteland.

scratch wrote:KISS dressed up funny, played loud basic rock music and blatantly invited the kiddies to get down with their horny selves.
Yeah, and they certainly never took themselves too seriously (at least pre-solo records and Music From "The Elder".) I love how unabashedly pro-KISS they are and how convincingly they insisted that everyone else was too (except, of course, for adults, who were all too square to get it.)

rrnate wrote:If nothing else, I'm excited to learn we all agree Jackson Browne is terrible
I wasn't aware this was ever open to debate. I've never met an actual person who likes Browne; he is beloved only by music critics.

donges wrote:
Prof. Wagstaff wrote:"Mama Nantucket"

Damn you. This is now stuck in my head for the rest of the day.
You're welcome.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:38 pm

rrnate wrote:While it's not like I love the Eagles or anything, I do think that "hating" them has become a thing in and of itself, with little to do with the quality of their music at this point. I think they have plenty of decent radio hits and I'd put 'em on par with something like Boston (sorry) or even KISS.

Interesting comparison. I probably like the same ratio of KISS as the Eagles. (sorry, I mean "Eagles") A friend has the KISS 5 or 6 CD best of set. I burned 1 CD of stuff that I didn't hate. As a kid, I did not like KISS much either. I graduated 8th grade in '76, so I don't need to tell you that not liking KISS during that time frame was not a popular stand to take. As I believe I have said here before, when the best musician in your band is the drunk guy, you may not be a very good band.

Boston is easier. They had two albums of awesomeness, then did nothing for a decade. Eventually Sholz got done litigating and pooped out "Amanda", but it didn't get played on album rock radio, so I didn't have to hear it much. (Album cost me 9 bucks or whatever, though. I think I played it twice. Still sitting downstairs.) For all his genius, Scholz is right up there in the asshole sweepstakes. Not a Simmons or a Henley, mind you. More like a quieter Lars Ulrich with better lawyers.

But back to the Eagles. Obviously, this is all just personal opinion - everyone else is welcome to love these guys, and they will get no judgement from me. Before Hotel California, to me they were just a pleasant diversion. Not a band I loved or hated, but just kind of "there". The main factors in my change of mind:

- It cannot be overstated how much Hotel California and The Long Run got overplayed on local radio. Top 40 played them. The automated station played them. The album rock station played them. All freaking day.

- The songs just seemed to not be as good. Just personal taste - obviously many more people loved them than hated them. New Kid in Town seemed particularly weak to me.

- The critics seemed to give them a pass. Lots of artists that I listened to were derided as "corporate rock", but were a lot less "corporate" than Eagles, and certainly no more faceless.

- Once Al Gore invented the Internets, it slowly became apparent that the key members were giant jerks. Didn't really impact the formation of my opinion, but probably makes it less likely that I would change it.

I have to say, this is a fun thread. Sorry for causing some of the tangents, but I think that is (partly) the point.
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:56 am

Glenn Frey is underrated as a singer.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kyle Motor » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:00 am

Gene Simmons is underrated as a bass player.
Kyle Motor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nutria » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:03 am

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:Earth, Wind & Fire ...Unfortunately, "consistent" for EW&F means some good jazzy-funky stuff mixed with weepy love ballads, a style I don't particularly care for by any band ... They become more and more irritating as the disco era progressed, so much of the later stuff from the best-ofs is pretty awful, and that includes their imbecilic cover of "Got To Get You Into My Life". Ick.

I know all of these things to be true. They are all fair criticisms (as are the many others leveled further upthread), and I can understand where they come from. And I don't care.

I just. Don't. Care.

EWF tickles me in ways I neither can, nor care to, explain. Yes, I said tickles. And I meant it. Just look at this:

Eyes back up. LOOK AT IT.

That, right there, is the absolutely highest, most perfect example of something. I don't what that something is, but the cover of Spirit is that something's best example. Family portraits of new-age 7-11 employees with a flair for pre-Photoshop graphic design? Maybe, I don't give a shit. But it's the best.
nutria
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:03 am

Gene Simmons is underrated as a singer.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nutria » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:05 am

I don't have much skin in the "how awesome or not the Eagles are" game. They tend to just fade into the background for me. Having said that, this:

flanneljammies wrote:hahaha. Looking at the wikipedia page now. Every single fucking member is credited with either "lead guitar" or "lead vocals."

is the funniest thing I've read in days.
Last edited by nutria on Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
nutria
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:17 am

peter criss is underrated as a cat-human hybrid
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:41 am

Robert Christgau is overrated as an underrater.
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby dave esmond » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:17 am

Eagles have two good qualities. Joe Walsh and they are the exact band that made me listen to '50's rock and punk when I was 13.

No childhood love for me. Just old school hate. So smooth and dull and to my 13 yo ears just wrong. Given the choice between Eddie Cochran, The Ramones or The Eagles I think I made the right call.

My love of Joe Walsh allows me to ignore his being in the Eagles.

Jackson Browne had David Lindley. And there's one or two songs from him I had a childhood love for. So there...I like JB slightly better then the Eagles.

Boston and Kiss aren't even in the same ballpark. Come on people. There's still whole albums by both of them I like.

I wish I would have known about the Easybeats when I was 13.
dave esmond
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to General Music