MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Wednesday, November 26, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 15.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

The Giant Wagstaff CD Listening Project Thread

Music news, rumors, what you're listening to, how you're listening to it and whether it's all on the up-and-up.

Re: The Giant Wagstaff CD Listening Project Thread

Postby rrnate » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:36 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote: How many of your audience members do you think have Desmond Dekker records at home?

Heh - when you say 'records', do you mean, like, vinyl? Even I don't have that (I've never seen any Dekker vinyl anywhere, not that I'm exactly plugged in to the vinyl world).

There's a very cool-guy-centric trad ska scene that mostly just tolerates us and those guys no doubt have tons of Desmond Dekker. However, they are too fancy in their suits and hair gel to like us very much.

Let's see, my favorite 1st wave ska singers include:

* Desmond Dekker!
* Toots Hibbert (pre reggae? Dunno, but there is a decent amount of ska stuff that is pretty rad, a lot of where he's kind of a backup singer or something.)
* Patsy Todd - everything I've ever heard from her is awesome! She's on tons of duets.
* Lord Tanamo - so vevelty, so smooth.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:47 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:I didn't know you didn't. 8 gazillion LPs and no Desmond Dekker? For shame. (Well, I'm sure you own "Israelites" and probably a smattering of other singles, right?)

Yeah, I've got a few singles. Never seen a copy of the Israelites LP that wasn't so trashed even I wouldn't pick it up.

Prof. Wagstaff wrote: I know you won't believe me, but the Machine Head CD remaster sounds amazing to my (decidedly-less-picky-than-your) ears.

Oh, I'd believe it. I remember the Made in Japan remaster was really good. CDs sound fine if they're mastered right ... same as with LPs.

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:If you or anyone wants to point me towards more great Dead Moon songs, I will happily give them a listen. That said, I think calling such vocalizing a "style" is being extremely generous.

I've got a good double CD Dead Moon comp you can check out.

FYI, if you know the '60s songs "You Must Be a Witch" by the Lollipop Shoppe or "It's Your Time" by the Weeds, those are also Fred Cole.
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:54 pm

minicat wrote:FYI, if you know the '60s songs "You Must Be a Witch" by the Lollipop Shoppe
Know it? I love it! I love that whole LP, actually.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby scratch » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:19 pm

Have you heard Desmond Dekker's Black & Dekker album? 1980 remakes of an album's worth of his hits, backed by the Rumour minus Graham Parker. Not note-for-note remakes, and some of the songs are faster than the Jamaican incarnations.
scratch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:34 pm

scratch wrote:Have you heard Desmond Dekker's Black & Dekker album? 1980 remakes of an album's worth of his hits, backed by the Rumour minus Graham Parker. Not note-for-note remakes, and some of the songs are faster than the Jamaican incarnations.
Never heard the album, but I assume that it's the source for the couple tracks I have on a Stiff compilation -- "Israelites" and "Allamanna" -- which are definitely standouts. Of course, perhaps they just standout because they sound so unlike anything else on the comp. (which is saying a lot, considering the wildly divergent styles of some of the rest of it.) The liner notes aren't very helpful, so it never occurred to me that was the Rumour.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:47 pm

flanneljammies wrote:High and Dry is THE Def Leppard record. Full stop.

Yes it is. "Answer to the Master" and "Rock Brigade" on the first album are almost as good, as well as a bunch of Pyromania. But High and Dry is head and shoulders above the others.
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:55 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:Deep Purple --

while Come Taste The Band (where Tommy Bolin steps in for Ritchie Blackmore and David Coverdale comes on board) is OK, it's not really Deep Purple anymore. After that, I completely lose interest.

I get where you are going, but I actually like some of the Steve Morse stuff. And the song "Perfect Strangers" is one of their best, IMO.
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:17 am

Igor wrote:I actually like some of the Steve Morse stuff. And the song "Perfect Strangers" is one of their best, IMO.
As I said, I lost interest. Which is to say, I've heard very little after Come Taste The Band and haven't felt the need to explore much more.
Post some vids and I'll check out what I've been missing.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:00 am

Igor wrote:

while Come Taste The Band (where Tommy Bolin steps in for Ritchie Blackmore and David Coverdale comes on board) is OK, it's not really Deep Purple anymore. After that, I completely lose interest.

I get where you are going, but I actually like some of the Steve Morse stuff. And the song "Perfect Strangers" is one of their best, IMO.

I've had a few people evangelize about "Perfect Strangers" over the years, and I remember listening to the album when I sourced an LP copy for one of them. I do not remember anything about it other than that it wasn't bad but was unfortunately an '80s record.
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:27 am

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:
scratch wrote:Have you heard Desmond Dekker's Black & Dekker album? 1980 remakes of an album's worth of his hits, backed by the Rumour minus Graham Parker. Not note-for-note remakes, and some of the songs are faster than the Jamaican incarnations.
Never heard the album, but I assume that it's the source for the couple tracks I have on a Stiff compilation -- "Israelites" and "Allamanna" -- which are definitely standouts. Of course, perhaps they just standout because they sound so unlike anything else on the comp. (which is saying a lot, considering the wildly divergent styles of some of the rest of it.) The liner notes aren't very helpful, so it never occurred to me that was the Rumour.

Whoa, neato - I'm totally gonna check this out. (Amazon has it as an $8 DL.)
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:35 am

minicat wrote:
Igor wrote:

I've had a few people evangelize about "Perfect Strangers" over the years, and I remember listening to the album when I sourced an LP copy for one of them. I do not remember anything about it other than that it wasn't bad but was unfortunately an '80s record.

Perfect Strangers is a great album: good songs, Gillan is in top form and Blackmore rips from beginning to end. A common complaint is "too many plodding mid-tempo rockers," but that's pretty standard MO for DP. It's got that 80s sheen, too, making it feel heavier than their earlier stuff.

Regarding the DP remasters: they're all a marked improvement over the originals, if your interest is in hearing the recordings as they sound best, as opposed to looking for that "retro" feeling.

As for Steve Morse: this is certainly not an "it's not the same band without the original members" write-off, but Morse changes the color of the band tremendously. His harmonic sense is very different from Blackmore's, and that's where the color is. And the loss of Jon Lord... it's a very different band now. Maybe we should call them Deep Blue.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:43 am

wack wack wrote:
Perfect Strangers is a great album: good songs, Gillan is in top form and Blackmore rips from beginning to end. A common complaint is "too many plodding mid-tempo rockers," but that's pretty standard MO for DP. It's got that 80s sheen, too, making it feel heavier than their earlier stuff.

I'll try it again next time I see one. It does still turn up fairly often on LP.
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:50 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:
Igor wrote:I actually like some of the Steve Morse stuff. And the song "Perfect Strangers" is one of their best, IMO.
As I said, I lost interest. Which is to say, I've heard very little after Come Taste The Band and haven't felt the need to explore much more.
Post some vids and I'll check out what I've been missing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZ_kez7WVUU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BW-Vz6LCZss

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fsbIbAt_mo

By way of comparison, here is what (and who) Richie Blackmore is doing now:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9DrVMeS668

Richie will be about 70 when their *first* kid is in kindergarten. :)
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:03 am

First and foremost, thanks for the links, Igor.

And now, on with the show...

Sandy Denny -- I'm a big fan of her work with Fairport Convention, but all I have filed under her own name is this career-spanning 3CD set which covers everything from her pre-Fairport colloborations with the Strawbs through her last solo LP from 1977 before her untimely death. Her preferred style isn't usually my thing, but man oh man could that lady sing (and write: "Who Knows Where The Time Goes", represented here by a 1974 live version, may well be the most beautiful song in the English language.*) Based on the handful of tracks included, I might need to track down the complete Strawbs CD, although I also know I can do without The Bunch. I'm willing to bet there are more gems on her solo LPs not included on this set, but I listen to this so rarely, I bet they'd just gather dust if I picked them up.

Derek and the Dominos -- suck it, Clapton haters (and, if there is such a thing, Duane haters.) Layla is a 5-star LP (except, of course, for Bobby Whitlock's execrable "Thorn Tree In The Garden", which is surely playing right now somewhere in Hell.) But because I used to work at a used-CD store and got it dirt cheap, I own The Layla Sessions box set. Unfortunately, beyond the album proper, there is little, if anything, to recommend. A trio of songs from the aborted 2nd LP are unmemorable and the alternate takes and outtakes are of interest only to... well... I can't imagine who they're of interest to. The 3rd disc -- ominously entitled The Jams -- is just garbage. Why anyone would want to listen to such endless wankery (the shortest track clocks in at 12:21) is a question I probably don't want answered. Even just as background music, it was a real slog getting through it.

Sugar Pie DeSanto -- Now we're cookin'!
A fantastic soul singer, Ms. DeSanto cranked out a string of excellent sides for Chess in the early-to-mid-60s. Great, great stuff, mostly unknown except to fellow aficianados of Chicago r&b and Northern Soul (a term I've really come to despise, btw.)
Some faves: "Soulful Dress", "With For A Night", and here she is rockin' out with Etta James on a track I have used to kick-off numerous party mixes over the years. Finally, check out this sizzlin' James Brown production from 1962. Yowza!

Descendents -- Y'all already know and love the Descendents, right? Easily one of my favorite '80s punk bands, and their 1996 comeback Everything Sucks is pretty fucking fantastic too.

Detroit Cobras -- Pandora jammed me this fantastic song which prompted me to pick one of their albums -- Baby -- when I found it used for cheap. Unfortunately, nothing therein really turns me on that much. Not unpleasant, to be sure, but nothing too special. If anyone else is a fan, please please post some cool songs as my lukewarm response to Baby killed any further exploration on my part. I did see them live once and enjoyed the show, but I bought a cool t-shirt instead of another CD, which is never a good sign.

The Deviants -- Heavy(ish) UK hippie weirdness. Their first LP, Ptoof!, has little to recommend it beyond the awesome title, but I really dig about half of Disposable, their second, especially the album-opening "Somewhere To Go". Main songwriter Mick Farren went on to lead The Pink Fairies, who I should be getting to in about 3 years...

Next up... DEVO!

*This is usually what I cite as the most gorgeous song I've ever heard that's not in English.
(Don't ask for a translation. It's much less beautiful if you know what they're singing. Trust me.)
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby scratch » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:20 am

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:I own The Layla Sessions box set. Unfortunately, beyond the album proper, there is little, if anything, to recommend. A trio of songs from the aborted 2nd LP are unmemorable and the alternate takes and outtakes are of interest only to... well... I can't imagine who they're of interest to. The 3rd disc -- ominously entitled The Jams -- is just garbage. Why anyone would want to listen to such endless wankery (the shortest track clocks in at 12:21) is a question I probably don't want answered. Even just as background music, it was a real slog getting through it.

I think the "why" of it may be connected to the copious clouds of ganja smoke common to the listening experience of that era. And another why factor may be the 3rd disc of George Harrison's All Things Must Pass. Just like extremely long drum solos, long noodling jams were at the time considered a mark of masterly musicianship. I can't remember why.

Good luck with the Devo. Will there be any Doctor Alimantado upcoming in the listening project?
scratch
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to General Music