MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, July 26, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 70.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

The Giant Wagstaff CD Listening Project Thread

Music news, rumors, what you're listening to, how you're listening to it and whether it's all on the up-and-up.

Re: The Giant Wagstaff CD Listening Project Thread

Postby flanneljammies » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:31 pm

Pretty solid list of deletes. A few quibbles, but yeah...
flanneljammies
Forum Addict

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:55 pm

rrnate wrote:Betty Lavette - Soul Hits
Box Tops - Hits
Cramps
Mudcrutch
Pete Townsend and Ronnie Lane
Raspberries - Side 3
Richard and Linda Thompson
Wye Oak
X

I guess I'd need to know what is on that Betty LaVette comp, but I suspect you're a fool. She is fantastic.
The Box Tops are most decidedly third-rate and dull, but I am glad to learn you've kept around a handful of their tunes. Not without charms, but a handful of tracks is more than enough.
You could not be more wrong about The Cramps, nearly all of whose recorded output should be cherished. What? You don't like trash?
We've been down the Mudcructh road before. I don't give a rat's ass about their reunion album, but a music collection without "On The Street" makes me cry.
Eliminating the Pete Townshend/Ronnie Lane album is nothing sort of sacrilege. Probably my fave work from Pete outside the confines of The Who. And there can never be enough Ronnie Lane in any collection.
I fall squarely between you and Kyle on the Raspberries. He definitely overrates them (and Eric Carmen, in general) but you sir, commit a far, far greater sin of dismissing them completely as unworthy of your ear-time.
Yeah, Richard and Linda Thompson are no fun to listen to. Probably "great music" in some sense, but I can find better uses for my ears.
And X? X!? Hmmm... How can anyone dismiss the complete discography of X? That makes no sense to me at all. Don't you like rock and roll?

Finally, I wish everyone would delete Wye Oak, not just from their music collection, but from the collective cultural memory as well. I've complained about them on this site before, so I'll just say this: "Take the goddamn marbles out of your mouth!"
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:21 pm

First of all, sorry to derail your thread Wags.

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:
rrnate wrote:Betty Lavette - Soul Hits
Box Tops - Hits
Cramps
Mudcrutch
Pete Townsend and Ronnie Lane
Raspberries - Side 3
Richard and Linda Thompson
Wye Oak
X

I guess I'd need to know what is on that Betty LaVette comp, but I suspect you're a fool. She is fantastic.

Sorry, the list was so big I didn't exactly get in to big detail, but with LaVette, there are a number of songs on various self-made soul mixes that survive. Just for some reason, the comp overall didn't sit well (it was some budget thing I got off of Amazon at some point, dunno what the name was).

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:The Box Tops are most decidedly third-rate and dull, but I am glad to learn you've kept around a handful of their tunes. Not without charms, but a handful of tracks is more than enough.

Yeah, I went through a very serious Alex Chilton thing a couple years ago and had to know what was up, but it's pretty clear they weren't exactly a "band" and knocked out a lot of stuff pretty on-the-cheap. The good stuff is great though! I even like their version of "I Shall Be Released"!

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:You could not be more wrong about The Cramps, nearly all of whose recorded output should be cherished. What? You don't like trash?

Yeah, I dunno why I don't like this, but I don't. I like stuff like Panther Burns and I certainly like a ton of weirdo-50's rockabilly stuff, but specifically don't like the singing AT ALL or the production. Just figured there was plenty of stuff like this that I have and like (hell, lots of it probably influenced directly by these guys) that I'm never going to listen to it.

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:We've been down the Mudcructh road before. I don't give a rat's ass about their reunion album, but a music collection without "On The Street" makes me cry.

Yeah! I actually had this tune from some old mix of yours and have it still - the thing I deleted was their self-titled reunion album, not the bootleg dealie.

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:Eliminating the Pete Townshend/Ronnie Lane album is nothing sort of sacrilege. Probably my fave work from Pete outside the confines of The Who. And there can never be enough Ronnie Lane in any collection.

Yeah, I dunno - this is another one of those things that one always hears is rad and while I'm so-so on Pete Townsend, I'm pro-Ronnie Lane a lot, but it just sounds like drugs to me, and shitty production. (It's like a much slicker bootleg of that Bob Dylan/George Harrison session, which DID stay on my iPod, though I'm sure it'll eventually get the boot.)

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:Yeah, Richard and Linda Thompson are no fun to listen to. Probably "great music" in some sense, but I can find better uses for my ears.

Yup. I hate the production, hate the singing, hate the songs and hate the guitar playing. I hate it. All of it. I'm still convinced the idea that Richard Thompson is "great" is some kind of super-hoax.

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:And X? X!? Hmmm... How can anyone dismiss the complete discography of X? That makes no sense to me at all. Don't you like rock and roll?

I really, really like the Knitters, but the X I've heard just doesn't do it for me. I think the tunes are weak, I think the two-person singing sounds off and then, the later stuff sounds like a shittier "The Blasters" (who also kind of suck, IMO). But, yeah, love the Knitters, so I dunno. I know everyone around here loves X, but I suspect it's maybe an age thing? I dunno anyone younger than me that loves 'em.

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:Finally, I wish everyone would delete Wye Oak, not just from their music collection, but from the collective cultural memory as well. I've complained about them on this site before, so I'll just say this: "Take the goddamn marbles out of your mouth!"

Heh. Yup. Them and Dawes - two shitty internet phenoms.

Also! While I'm at it, why don't I mention the folks who take up the greatest part of my iPod (it's a 160GB model).

1. Nina Simone
2. John Coltrane
3. Tangerine Dream
4. Aerosmith
5. Spoon
6. Jay-Z
7. Charles Mingus
8. Jerry Jeff Walker
9. Tom Waits
10. Tie (Wilco / Wezer)

How about that! Also, there is a surprising amount of "John Carpenter".
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kyle Motor » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:45 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:I fall squarely between you and Kyle on the Raspberries. He definitely overrates them (and Eric Carmen, in general) but you sir, commit a far, far greater sin of dismissing them completely as unworthy of your ear-time.

For the record, I'm as big a fan of the Dave Smalley songs on that album as the Carmen ones.
Kyle Motor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:30 pm

rrnate wrote:Yeah, I went through a very serious Alex Chilton thing a couple years ago...
See, I tried to do this after first learning of Big Star lo those many years ago. What I discovered was, Alex Chilton records waver between boring and terrible, and I'm continually amazed at all my friends with good taste who haven't figured that out yet. I could fit all the solo Chilton I like on a single disc and still have enough room left over for an entire Big Star album. (I would also include Chilton near the top of a list of absolute worst live acts I have ever seen, and I've seen Keanu Reeves band Dogstar.)

rrnate wrote:Yeah, I dunno - this is another one of those things that one always hears is rad and while I'm so-so on Pete Townsend, I'm pro-Ronnie Lane a lot, but it just sounds like drugs to me, and shitty production.
This makes absolutely no sense to me (especially given that, apart from alcohol, I doubt very many drugs were ingested while it was being made.) How can anyone not want to own this? Or this?
Musical taste is such an enigma, no?

rrnate wrote:I'm still convinced the idea that Richard Thompson is "great" is some kind of super-hoax.
Yeah, the more I try, the less I hear the brilliance of his solo (and w/Linda) recordings (the first handful of Fairport Convention remain amazing-sounding to my ears.)

rrnate wrote:I really, really like the Knitters

This makes no sense to me. I can review the Knitters with but a single noise: {yawn}
rrnate wrote: I think the two-person singing sounds off
To my ears, X is a strange example of two shitty singers somehow melding into one good one. But I can see why you don't buy that.
rrnate wrote: the later stuff sounds like a shittier "The Blasters" (who also kind of suck, IMO).
No kinda about it, IMO. Maybe this sounded good to people who'd never heard Gene Vincent records, but I know better. If Alvin didn't make a point of telling people he was influenced by folks like Joe Turner and T-Bone Walker, nobody ever would've guessed from the music he made.

rrnate wrote:3. Tangerine Dream
If this is what you were listening to, how did you stay awake long enough to remove all those other artists?

Kyle Motor wrote:For the record, I'm as big a fan of the Dave Smalley songs on that album as the Carmen ones.
Noted. I'll file that under: Distinctions Not Cost Effective.

BTW -- ¡Viva Dictators! is still in my CD player.
Last edited by Prof. Wagstaff on Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:58 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:
rrnate wrote:Yeah, I went through a very serious Alex Chilton thing a couple years ago...
See, I tried to do this after first learning of Big Star lo those many years ago. What I discovered was, Alex Chilton records waver between boring and terrible, and I'm continually amazed at all my friends with good taste who haven't figured that out yet. I could fit all the solo Chilton I like on a single disc and still have enough room left over for an entire Big Star album. (I would also include Chilton near the top of a list of absolute worst live acts I have ever seen, and I've seen Keanu Reeves band Dogstar.)

Heh - yeah, I have a like, 65-minute mix of stuff that is solo Chilton and solo Bell stuff and that's pretty much all I listen to now. (The Chilton stuff is mostly the "singer not the song" EP and a few random things, like "Bangkok" and the Chilton version of "Jumpin' Jack Flash", which I think might be terrible but which I love anyway.)

As for Tangerine Dream (and it's just the drone/soundtrack stuff, not their early, shitty 'art rock'), what can I say? I love it. In fact, it has been a huge problem for me lately - I got in to it like 2 years ago and then found out that there is kind of a resurgence of this kind of thing with a bunch of newer 'groups' (Emeralds, Umberto, etc.) and I love all that stuff too. I'm completely aware of how embarrassing this is and hopefully I don't turn in to someone only seen waving crystals over deli trays at the Co-Op or something. The new-agey keyboard stuff has basically taken the place of jazz in my listening routine and I DON'T KNOW HOW TO STOP IT.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:25 pm

rrnate wrote: The new-agey keyboard stuff has basically taken the place of jazz in my listening routine and I DON'T KNOW HOW TO STOP IT.

The best way to stop it is to listen to junky rock 'n roll like Alex Chilton, the Raspberries and a lot of other stuff you just deleted.

YOU ARE TOTALLY SCREWED.
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:30 pm

minicat wrote:
rrnate wrote: The new-agey keyboard stuff has basically taken the place of jazz in my listening routine and I DON'T KNOW HOW TO STOP IT.

The best way to stop it is to listen to junky rock 'n roll like Alex Chilton, the Raspberries and a lot of other stuff you just deleted.

YOU ARE TOTALLY SCREWED.

I feel like there is room in my listening habits for both rock & roll AND weird keyboard stuff.

And, also the new EP from Solange (Beyonce's sister), which I've been a little obsessed with.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:32 pm

normally I wouldn't go all kylemotortimatum on any sort of music ... but there is no room for new-agey keyboard, unless it's on a rocket directly into the inescapable vacuum of a black hole.
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kyle Motor » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:42 pm

Kyle Motor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Toonces » Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:34 pm

rrnate wrote:Pavement

When I first saw you I thought you were that guy from Pavement.
Toonces
Forum Addict

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:42 am

Not a lot of progress made since my last post.
I was stuck on The Dictators for over a week. Man oh man I love The Dictators. After listening to their entire ouevre, I can unhesitatingly say that ¡Viva Dictators! really is my fave. The song selection is fantastic and it demonstrates just how fiercely awesome they are as a live act. (Much more so than the still-great but much spottier Fuck'em If They Can't Take A Joke.) I don't think they have any bad albums, but this is the one I could not do without. I had the pleasure of seeing The Dictators a decade-or-so ago at The Empty Bottle in Chicago and it remains the greatest rock show I've ever witnessed. There just aren't enough real rock and roll bands in the world.

The only other act I've gotten through since The Dictators wig-out came to a close is the fabulous Bo Diddley. My CD collection of his work is all over the map -- a handful of albums and a lot of comps, with lots of overlap. Bo is much more diverse than he's usually given credit for and he almost never gets props for his vocals, which are routinely awesome. I can't find a YouTube video for his excellent "What Do You Know About Love" but wow, his singing really blows me away on that one.
A couple other faves:
"I Love You So"
"Deed And Deed I Do"

The only real clunker from his catalog in my collection (with the exception of the endless variations on the not-funny "Say Man" novelties) is The London Bo Diddley Sessions, which really, really sucks. Some of the lamest "funk" I've ever heard. Wrongheaded doesn't even begin to get at just how awful this LP is. Avoid at all costs.

Next up... the fantabulous Didjits! Woo-hoo!
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby scratch » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:10 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:
scratch wrote:Will there be any Doctor Alimantado upcoming in the listening project?
No, as I am completely unfamiliar with his recordings. Is this a gap that needs filling? (And wouldn't that be filed under "A" anyway?)

Doctor Alimantado was one of the earliest and more prolific toasters in reggae, appearing on dubs by Lee 'Scratch' Perry, King Tubby, and others. He's also a record producer, and his best known solo album is probably 1978's Best Dressed Chicken in Town which features the title cut plus "Gimme Mi Gun" (a dub of Gregory Isaacs' "Thief a Man"), Doctor Alimantado's entry in the reggae subgenre of anti-barber songs, "I Killed the Barber" (a dub of John Holt's "Ali Baba"), etc. Very heavy bass, very dubby stuff, but with discernible melodies and hooks. Best Dressed Chicken was originally issued on Greensleeves (their first release) and has been reissued by them in 2001 and 2007 with bonus tracks like "I am the Greatest Says Muhammed Ali."

As to putting Doctor Alimantado under "A" or "D" in alpha order, it depends on your orientation. Ernie B's, a big reggae retailer, lists all of their artists under direct rather than inverted name (Black Uhuru, Bob Marley, Bunny Wailer, Burning Spear, etc.), as do a lot of reggae websites. Alimantado was born Winston James Thompson, so Doctor Alimantado is a pseudonym rather than a nickname, and in a previous existence I was obliged to do things the way the Library of Congress does them. FWIW they file Muddy Waters under "M" and Bo Diddley under "D," but they are by no means 100% consistent.

Wherever the doctor's name is filed, I'm sure he's joining me in celebrating Lee Perry's 77th birthday today.
scratch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:55 pm

scratch wrote:As to putting Doctor Alimantado under "A" or "D" in alpha order, it depends on your orientation. Ernie B's, a big reggae retailer, lists all of their artists under direct rather than inverted name (Black Uhuru, Bob Marley, Bunny Wailer, Burning Spear, etc.)
Heh. I only recently learned that Burning Spear was a person, not a group. I don't own any of his stuff, but if I did, I guess I'd have to file him under "S", which does seem odd... Please don't tell me Black Uhuru is a person too!

scratch wrote:FWIW they file Muddy Waters under "M" and Bo Diddley under "D," but they are by no means 100% consistent.
Hmmm... nothing consistent about that. Both of those are stage names. (Bo is usually credited as "Ellas McDaniel" as a songwriter, which I'd assumed until recently was his real name. Turns out it's not; his given name is Ellas Otha Bates.)
In my collection, Muddy is under "W" and Bo is under "D".
(For some reason, typing this made me think of Bo Diddley's line "In Philadelphia, it's worth fifty bucks.")

I have a buddy who used to file people under their real names, which meant Muddy was under "M", but as Morganfield, not Muddy. This (I thought) goofy system provided me with endless entertainment, since he seemed to be completely unaware of how many pseudonymous entertainers he had in his collection. Oh the fun I had forcing him to put Elton John under "D" and Elvis Costello under "M". He finally abandoned that lunacy when he realized my glee at correcting him would never cease.

My all-time favorite psuedonym is Englebert Humperdinck, if only because I've won several bets over the years from people who refuse to believe anyone would choose to call themselves that.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:36 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:
I have a buddy who used to file people under their real names, which meant Muddy was under "M", but as Morganfield, not Muddy. This (I thought) goofy system provided me with endless entertainment, since he seemed to be completely unaware of how many pseudonymous entertainers he had in his collection. Oh the fun I had forcing him to put Elton John under "D" and Elvis Costello under "M". He finally abandoned that lunacy when he realized my glee at correcting him would never cease.

Just a couple of cool guys, doing cool guy things.

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:The only real clunker from his catalog in my collection (with the exception of the endless variations on the not-funny "Say Man" novelties) is The London Bo Diddley Sessions, which really, really sucks. Some of the lamest "funk" I've ever heard. Wrongheaded doesn't even begin to get at just how awful this LP is. Avoid at all costs.

OMG, yeah, I have almost no Bo Diddley but for some reason had this, and I can vouch for it's terribleness. Saw him at "Bluesfest" in Madison too and he was A) just too old to be good and B) did some rapping, which doubly drove point A home.

Still, I gotta check out his good stuff more - I've probably heard about 16 really great Bo songs and know there is tons more.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to General Music