MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Tuesday, September 2, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 74.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Do personal beliefs of musicians affect your enjoyment?

Music news, rumors, what you're listening to, how you're listening to it and whether it's all on the up-and-up.

Re: Do personal beliefs of musicians affect your enjoyment?

Postby minicat » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:34 am

ArturoBandini wrote:
Donald wrote:Sure. Let's talk about Merle Haggard.
I'm by no means a Merle Haggard expert, but wasn't "Okie" originally meant by Haggard to be satire?

That was kinda what I always thought, too. However, I just read Bill Malone's Country Music USA, which implies that wasn't the case. It goes further to say many of his fans who loved empathetic earlier songs like "Hungry Eyes" were very disillusioned by "Okie..." and more so by right-wing follow-up "The Fightin' Side of Me."
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby dave esmond » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:59 am

minicat wrote:
ArturoBandini wrote:
I'm by no means a Merle Haggard expert, but wasn't "Okie" originally meant by Haggard to be satire?

That was kinda what I always thought, too. However, I just read Bill Malone's Country Music USA, which implies that wasn't the case. It goes further to say many of his fans who loved empathetic earlier songs like "Hungry Eyes" were very disillusioned by "Okie..." and more so by right-wing follow-up "The Fightin' Side of Me."

From Merle's website.

"That political stance was solidified with Haggard’s most popular song, “Okie From Muskogee.” He says the song started as a joke, and its tone definitely leans toward the humorous, but it also drew a clear line between “us” and “them.” Haggard spoke for the Americans who didn’t smoke marijuana, didn’t burn their draft cards, didn’t grow their hair long and shaggy and were “proud to wave Old Glory down at the courthouse.” Followed by the belligerent “Fightin’ Side of Me,” which undeniably challenged the anti-war protesters, it made Haggard a political symbol."

I remember reading his bio and I got the impression it was a satire about both rednecks and hippies. And Merle knew his audience so he let everyone believe whatever they wanted.

He's also the guy who wrote "My Own Kind of Hat" so I believe he's not one who fits easily into any one social group.

"Great White Buffalo" is a great song. I don't care how much of a d-bag Ted's become.

"The stakes are high and so am I, It's in the air tonight". Would the I'venevertoucheddrugs Ted listen to the Ted who wrote that?
dave esmond
Forum God/Goddess

Postby scratch » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:51 am

As I recall, at the time most of the "beads and Roman sandals" wearing Commie longhaired hippies like myself assumed Merle meant what he said in Okie and the follow-up, Fightin' Side of Me, just reinforced that. It just seemed that country music and musicians were like that. Then a year or two later when the Grateful Dead deepened their affinity for country music and Americana, suddenly the Merle-Jerry Garcia & Co. mutual respect society appeared. The Dead did a few Merle songs in their live sets and the story that Okie and Fightin' Side were satires gained currency.

But what do I know? We were all stoned at the time...
scratch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:07 am

dave esmond wrote:
I remember reading his bio and I got the impression it was a satire about both rednecks and hippies. And Merle knew his audience so he let everyone believe whatever they wanted.

that's certainly how it's worked out, even to this day ...
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:22 am

dave esmond wrote:"The stakes are high and so am I, It's in the air tonight". Would the I'venevertoucheddrugs Ted listen to the Ted who wrote that?

Also his first hit (with the Amboy Dukes), "Journey to the Center of the Mind" (Ted co-wrote) was a classic of drug induced psychedelia.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:01 am

Henry Vilas wrote:
dave esmond wrote:"The stakes are high and so am I, It's in the air tonight". Would the I'venevertoucheddrugs Ted listen to the Ted who wrote that?

Also his first hit (with the Amboy Dukes), "Journey to the Center of the Mind" (Ted co-wrote) was a classic of drug induced psychedelia.

When I was in high school my family hired a contractor to build a deck in our yard. The contractor claimed that he went to high school with Ted Nugent (before Ted was expelled) and that Nugent was high all the time. he claimed they'd jam together and Nugent would just be wasted.

I always kinda thought the contractor was full of it, especially years later when Nugent came out so strongly against drug use; but now, knowing how confused Ted is about other things in the real world, I suspect the contractor's claims were legit.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:19 am

On a related note, Johnny Cash ACTUALLY BELIEVED it was okay to shoot a man in Reno just to watch him die.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:28 am

Alternatively, in discussing the murder for which he was convicted, R.L. Burnside said:
I didn't mean to kill nobody. I just meant to shoot the sonofabitch in the head and two times in the chest. Him dying was between him and the Lord.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:36 am

dave esmond wrote:"Great White Buffalo" is a great song. I don't care how much of a d-bag Ted's become.

I, on the other hand, find that I can't listen to any of his music and enjoy it any more. I used to think that was a great song and some part of me must still think so, but I can't hear it without getting pissed off and the only thing that makes me feel better is to get away from it. It's not a choice. I just dislike the guy so much that it carries over into his music.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Galoot » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:45 am

Yes, it does affect my enjoyment. I will likely delete the Shocked stuff I have--I've already taken it off of my iPod nano.

And for her outspoken support of PETA, I've had no use at all for Chrissie Hynde for many years. I'll usually change the station if a Pretenders song comes on the radio.

And on the other end of the spectrum, I gained even more respect for Iris DeMent when she refused to play her show in Madison on the day we invaded Iraq.
Galoot
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:11 pm

One of the reasons I cannot get behind rejecting music based on the beliefs of the perfomer (or at least, the viewpoint of the song) is that I love a lot of gospel music, but have absolutely no use for actual religion. I could listen to Sam Cooke's work with the Soul Stirrers on endless repeat and be pretty satisfied, even if its intended message never actually persuaded me of a damn thing.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby dave esmond » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:52 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:One of the reasons I cannot get behind rejecting music based on the beliefs of the perfomer (or at least, the viewpoint of the song) is that I love a lot of gospel music, but have absolutely no use for actual religion. I could listen to Sam Cooke's work with the Soul Stirrers on endless repeat and be pretty satisfied, even if its intended message never actually persuaded me of a damn thing.

Amen!
dave esmond
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:02 pm

Galoot wrote:And for her outspoken support of PETA, I've had no use at all for Chrissie Hynde for many years.
I'm curious -- do you feel this way about people you actually know?
I have many friends who are supportive of PETA and while I've never shied away from making my feelings known when it comes up, we generally just don't talk about it. PETA is a particularly good example because I do believe that most who support and promote them (even if I feel they're being kinda duped by the actual leaders of the organization itself) truly mean well and have arrived at their philosophy about animals after genuine reflection, even if I disagree with their conclusions. I admit that I wouldn't want to listen to Chrissie Hynde or Joan Jett sing about how I'm a murderer for eating meat, but I can't imagine never wanting to hear them sing about life and love and rock'n'roll again.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:18 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:
Galoot wrote:And for her outspoken support of PETA, I've had no use at all for Chrissie Hynde for many years.
I'm curious -- do you feel this way about people you actually know?

Of course. I never buy any of their albums.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby acereraser » Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:24 pm

I am not going to judge Jelly Roll Morton's terribly awesome life (and nickname), but I don't wish for the youth of today to follow in his footsteps in any other than a musical way.
acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to General Music