MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, August 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 77.0° F  Light Rain Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Pay to See a DJ?

Music news, rumors, what you're listening to, how you're listening to it and whether it's all on the up-and-up.

Pay to See a DJ?

Postby john_titor » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:05 pm

I have tried a few times over the years to see big name DJs, but Fortuna's wheel always intercedes. The last time this happened was DJ Shadow at the Barrymore. He cancelled.

My biggest hesitancy has been the belief that the show will consist of a single person on stage, pressing 'play', and then dancing around with hands that just don't care for the next 90 minutes.

Am I better off listening to their mixes from home or is the in-person experience worth it?

I don't dance.
john_titor
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 649
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:18 pm

Re: Pay to See a DJ?

Postby green union terrace chair » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:19 pm

Good DJs mix and create a unique show. Moderate DJs work off a playlist and customize based on how the audience is reacting. Bad DJs do as you describe and play a 90-minute track they put together weeks previously.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2864
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 3:33 pm
Location: Memorial Union

Re: Pay to See a DJ?

Postby fennel » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:03 pm

I had a similar concerns about seeing Fourtet live. Not that they weren't engaged in their performance (from what I've heard; I didn't see them), but that it might be unsatisfying to experience it as a (captive?) audience member. I guess I'm glad I stayed home.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3147
Joined: Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:24 pm
Location: Inside the Green Zone, Madison

Re: Pay to See a DJ?

Postby john_titor » Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:43 pm

I have asked this question different places over the years, even those with a lot of paid DJs on it and no one ever seems to want/have an answer. Variants of my question have been along the lines of, "is a DJ a musician?" "Outside of editorial control is there more to it than playing records?" Don't get me wrong, I like to listen to the product at home just not necessarily go see them live. Maybe I will get to see a DJ superstar someday and find out.

Well put g.u.t.c.
john_titor
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 649
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:18 pm

Re: Pay to See a DJ?

Postby ilikebeans » Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:25 pm

john_titor wrote:"is a DJ a musician?"

Absolutely not.

Is it art? If they're good, yes.
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2799
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:23 am

Re: Pay to See a DJ?

Postby wesconsin » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:05 am

If they are listed as a DJ, they should be spinning records live, shouldn't be pre-recorded.


The problem is this fad that has grown with the terrible Dubstep genre. Skrillex literally said his computer was his instrument.


Best way to make sure it will be (at least partially) a live performance? Find out if they are analog musicians (aka analog synths and drum machines)

This is a local band that uses mainly analog (and is also a close friend of mine). The name Insergent comes from the main instrument they use - a Serge modular synth:
Image

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgcjUq2X8CM
wesconsin
Senior Member
 
Posts: 65
Joined: Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:34 am

Re: Pay to See a DJ?

Postby NullDevice » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:37 pm

It really depends on the DJ. Some of them have great energy, and even if they are just pressing play, their stage presence, ability to work the crowd, and (often) visuals are worth the price.

Others? Suck.

So it's kinda like any other band.
NullDevice
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 737
Joined: Fri May 02, 2003 2:53 pm
Location: Madison, WI

Re: Pay to See a DJ?

Postby wesconsin » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:42 am

NullDevice wrote:It really depends on the DJ. Some of them have great energy, and even if they are just pressing play, their stage presence, ability to work the crowd, and (often) visuals are worth the price.


I disagree whole-heartedly, but that is mainly because one of my main emphasis in music is actual talent. And it really takes very little talent to create something in Fruity Loops then press play on stage
wesconsin
Senior Member
 
Posts: 65
Joined: Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:34 am

Re: Pay to See a DJ?

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:56 am

wesconsin wrote:If they are listed as a DJ, they should be spinning records live, shouldn't be pre-recorded.


The problem is this fad that has grown with the terrible Dubstep genre. Skrillex literally said his computer was his instrument.


Best way to make sure it will be (at least partially) a live performance? Find out if they are analog musicians (aka analog synths and drum machines)

This is a local band that uses mainly analog (and is also a close friend of mine). The name Insergent comes from the main instrument they use - a Serge modular synth:
Image

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgcjUq2X8CM


Analog or digital has absolutely nothing to do with it. Some DJ's create music, some play it, some create it live or at least elements of it. The term "DJ" is so vast that this conversation is pointless.

Pay to see a DJ? A lot of people do. That's enough justification for me. Supply/Demand and all that jazz.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 7793
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2004 2:49 pm
Location: Slightly outside of Madison

Re: Pay to See a DJ?

Postby green union terrace chair » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:26 pm

NullDevice wrote:So it's kinda like any other band.

Totally.

fisticuffs wrote:Analog or digital has absolutely nothing to do with it. Some DJ's create music, some play it, some create it live or at least elements of it. The term "DJ" is so vast that this conversation is pointless.

Pay to see a DJ? A lot of people do. That's enough justification for me. Supply/Demand and all that jazz.

Also totally.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2864
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 3:33 pm
Location: Memorial Union

Re: Pay to See a DJ?

Postby wesconsin » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:19 pm

fisticuffs wrote:
wesconsin wrote:If they are listed as a DJ, they should be spinning records live, shouldn't be pre-recorded.


The problem is this fad that has grown with the terrible Dubstep genre. Skrillex literally said his computer was his instrument.


Best way to make sure it will be (at least partially) a live performance? Find out if they are analog musicians (aka analog synths and drum machines)

This is a local band that uses mainly analog (and is also a close friend of mine). The name Insergent comes from the main instrument they use - a Serge modular synth:
Image

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgcjUq2X8CM


Analog or digital has absolutely nothing to do with it. Some DJ's create music, some play it, some create it live or at least elements of it. The term "DJ" is so vast that this conversation is pointless.

Pay to see a DJ? A lot of people do. That's enough justification for me. Supply/Demand and all that jazz.



Yeah that came out wrong. I was just trying to imply that if its analog, you are more likely (pretty much guaranteed) to have the artist creating the music on the spot. There are some great digital instruments as well.

I guess I just really really do not like Fruity Loop 'artists'
wesconsin
Senior Member
 
Posts: 65
Joined: Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:34 am

Re: Pay to See a DJ?

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:34 pm

wesconsin wrote:
fisticuffs wrote:
wesconsin wrote:If they are listed as a DJ, they should be spinning records live, shouldn't be pre-recorded.


The problem is this fad that has grown with the terrible Dubstep genre. Skrillex literally said his computer was his instrument.


Best way to make sure it will be (at least partially) a live performance? Find out if they are analog musicians (aka analog synths and drum machines)

This is a local band that uses mainly analog (and is also a close friend of mine). The name Insergent comes from the main instrument they use - a Serge modular synth:
Image

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgcjUq2X8CM


Analog or digital has absolutely nothing to do with it. Some DJ's create music, some play it, some create it live or at least elements of it. The term "DJ" is so vast that this conversation is pointless.

Pay to see a DJ? A lot of people do. That's enough justification for me. Supply/Demand and all that jazz.



Yeah that came out wrong. I was just trying to imply that if its analog, you are more likely (pretty much guaranteed) to have the artist creating the music on the spot. There are some great digital instruments as well.

I guess I just really really do not like Fruity Loop 'artists'


I don't think anyone has used Fruity Loops since 2002. Go check out the Abelton Push interface for Live. It's a musical instrument, an entirely new one. There are DJ's who press play, DJ's who create music and pres play, DJ's who create music on the fly, and "DJ's" who never touch a turntable. Electronic Musician is a better term.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 7793
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2004 2:49 pm
Location: Slightly outside of Madison

Re: Pay to See a DJ?

Postby NullDevice » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:06 pm

wesconsin wrote:I disagree whole-heartedly, but that is mainly because one of my main emphasis in music is actual talent. And it really takes very little talent to create something in Fruity Loops then press play on stage


Huh.

Well. I don't see what the problem is. I mean, we pay to go to movies, even though the acting and directing isn't live. We look at paintings and sculpture and they're not being produced live. And yet nobody says "well, they have no talent because they're not able to sculpt that in front of an audience right now!"

It's hard to differentiate a DJ from an electronic musician, though, although the usual metric is "whose material are they playing." There's admittedly a lot of overlap these days, especially with stuff like Ableton and even Traktor allowing performers to remix on the fly. Onstage I use Ableton Live controlled with TouchAble to manipulate my backing tracks in realtime, while doing other stuff. Am I a DJ? Am I a performer? Who knows.

People pay a lot more to watch Katy Perry lipsynch onstage, and she doesn't at least have the courtesy to bring trippy lights for all the ravers on E.
NullDevice
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 737
Joined: Fri May 02, 2003 2:53 pm
Location: Madison, WI

Re: Pay to See a DJ?

Postby gozer » Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:18 am

NullDevice wrote:
wesconsin wrote:I disagree whole-heartedly, but that is mainly because one of my main emphasis in music is actual talent. And it really takes very little talent to create something in Fruity Loops then press play on stage


Huh.

Well. I don't see what the problem is. I mean, we pay to go to movies, even though the acting and directing isn't live. We look at paintings and sculpture and they're not being produced live. And yet nobody says "well, they have no talent because they're not able to sculpt that in front of an audience right now!"


that would be very interesting to see, though. i am sure it was tried some place some time.
gozer
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2244
Joined: Sat Oct 26, 2002 1:35 pm
Location: everywhere

Re: Pay to See a DJ?

Postby wesconsin » Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:09 pm

NullDevice wrote:
wesconsin wrote:I disagree whole-heartedly, but that is mainly because one of my main emphasis in music is actual talent. And it really takes very little talent to create something in Fruity Loops then press play on stage


Huh.

Well. I don't see what the problem is. I mean, we pay to go to movies, even though the acting and directing isn't live. We look at paintings and sculpture and they're not being produced live. And yet nobody says "well, they have no talent because they're not able to sculpt that in front of an audience right now!"

It's hard to differentiate a DJ from an electronic musician, though, although the usual metric is "whose material are they playing." There's admittedly a lot of overlap these days, especially with stuff like Ableton and even Traktor allowing performers to remix on the fly. Onstage I use Ableton Live controlled with TouchAble to manipulate my backing tracks in realtime, while doing other stuff. Am I a DJ? Am I a performer? Who knows.

People pay a lot more to watch Katy Perry lipsynch onstage, and she doesn't at least have the courtesy to bring trippy lights for all the ravers on E.



apples and oranges my friend

Ableton is pretty nice. I haven't spent as much time on it as I'd like to admit, but so far it looks decent.

A lot of people pay to see 'artists' lipsync. A lot of people are also very dumb and have no taste. Also, Katy Perry is a looker, so that helps her case. Anyways.....

My point being, I despise 'artists' who push play and let it go. Personally I find no artistic talent in having something pre-planned out. Essentially, anything that can lead to Milli Vanilli-type situations I am not a fan of. Show me that your act changes somewhat with how the crowd is doing.

My favorite concert that I have been to (that wasn't electronic music) was the White Stripes. What I loved most about them was that there was no set list. They didn't practice. They went on stage and just let the flow and the music take over. That kind of blues mentality where you let the music and the soul take over, that's what I'm looking for.
wesconsin
Senior Member
 
Posts: 65
Joined: Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:34 am

Next

Return to General Music

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

moviesmusiceats
Select a Movie
Select a Theater


commentsViewedForum
  ISTHMUS FLICKR

Promotions Contact us Privacy Policy Jobs Newsletters RSS
Collapse Photo Bar