Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Wednesday, October 1, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 64.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Binge drinking mularkey

Bars, wine, beer, cocktails, drunken escapades

Re: Binge drinking mularkey

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:42 pm

Meade wrote:Istanbul

In conclusion, you can drink alcohol in Istanbul when you want it.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g2 ... anbul.html

BRRRRRR.

Lets see who our next contestant is.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:48 pm

I think people drinking together at social events is a whole lot better than everybody sitting alone in their house drinking by themselves. I've made good friends sitting side by side at a bar. I find people from other drinking cultures warm, funny, and friendly.

If you don't want to drink you don't have to. I'm past the drinking part of my life (which was fairly extensive) and just have one now and then. Still, I don't feel left out when I'm among people who are drinking more. I might go home earlier, but so what. You don't want old bats around after a certain hour anyway.

I think the really strict religions, like the Mormons and some species of Baptists, are mistrustful of people making their own choices and prefer Mormon Central or Baptist Central to make blanket choices for their parishioners. I guess this is not the way I would want to raise my kids, if I had kids. Life is more demanding than that and the sooner you face up to it, the better.

The Wisconsin college drinking thing can indeed get over the top, and the trick is to find ways to teach kids about consequences, social controls, and about taking care of each other, not setting up a false all-or-nothing dichotomy for everyone.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Comrade » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:58 pm

In all honesty, we do have a problem in Wisconsin with alcohol. We don't have to be like Alabama or the south, but there is room for improvement.

I have been through this myself, realized that I was drinking too much, and have cut way back. It can be an issue and it really creeps up on you.

I think the long cold winters have something to do with it, but it isn't the only factor.

The problem of alcoholism is much worse in Russia. From past experience, I can tell you that any Russian can probably be believed that claims the ability to drink you under the table. You don't have to test the claim...if he says he can drink you under the table, he most likely can....
Comrade
Forum Addict

Postby Meade » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:25 pm

If you read the police reports, it seems that muggers, rapists, and robbers in Madison frequently target victims who are under the influence. Drinkers and druggers, in general, tend to be less situationally aware than those who are sober.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:30 pm

Meade wrote:druggers

Druggers? Who the fuck says that. Is this the 1950's or something?

What a tool.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:38 pm

snoqueen wrote:I think people drinking together at social events is a whole lot better than everybody sitting alone in their house drinking by themselves. I've made good friends sitting side by side at a bar. I find people from other drinking cultures warm, funny, and friendly.

Mollenhoff talks about that in his history of Madison. Wisconsin's European population back in the day was mainly Catholic and Lutheran. The Catholics were social drinkers and drank outside the home. The Lutherans didn't like that social aspect, although they did drink alcohol at home.

As Will Rogers said about his native Oklahoma, when asked if the state would remain dry: "Oklahomans vote dry as long as they can stagger to the polls."
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Beer, wine & cocktails