MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Tuesday, September 30, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 50.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

is it so bizarre?

Bars, wine, beer, cocktails, drunken escapades

How do you like your beers served to you?

Give me a new glass every time. I hear that the dishwasher rinse that they use is good for your teeth.
11%
Donâ??t replace my glass. I like my beer to taste like the brewer intended, or as close to it as possible. And itâ??s more efficient.
39%
I don't care, just give me a beer.
50%

Total votes : 36

Postby ms4denmark » Sat Jul 29, 2006 6:56 pm

First before I put a long, boring post, I will say that I really don't care too much if I get a new glass or not. If the place is serving beer in ice cold glasses, yeah, I'll probably expect to get another ice cold glass, but don't care if I don't. Really, getting an ice cold beer that tastes like it should is all I'm concerned with.
Violet_Skye wrote:Hand sanitizers destroy only some types of viruses and bacteria, while leaving many others, which allows those others to proliferate unchecked. The best way to wash is with plain soap, scrubbing and rinsing thoroughly.
Now to go off topic...A bar/restaurant cannot just use hand sanitizer. Hand sanitizer is meant to be used after you wash your hands with a liquid, powder, or bar soap, not to substitute it. If you use hand sanitizer, you aren't supposed to touch anything until your hands are completely dry. Also, if you are going to use hand sanitizer, by law, the sanitizer must be FDA approved.

Proper handwashing procedure is as such:

1) Wet your hands with running waster as hot as you can comfortably stand (at least 110 degrees)
2) Apply soap
3) Vigorously scrub hands and arms for at least twenty seconds
4) Clean under fingernails and between fingers
5) Rinse thoroughly under running water
6) Dry hands and arms with a single-use papaer towel or warm-air hand dryer
7) (optional) apply hand sanitzer and allow to completely dry before continuing work

All establishments are supposed to have signs up explaining the proper procedure at designated handwashing locations as well.
Prof. Wagstaff wrote:Are you suggesting that no bars are guilty of the method I've described? Or that every bar has three sinks?
That's a great question. You can only have a two-compartment sink system if the local regulatory agency allows it. From my training, I can't remember if Madison is one of those municipalities that allows a two-compartment system. In any case, it's pretty safe to say that few to no establishments properly uses these whether it be two, three or, gasp, four compartments!

1)In the three compartment system, the first tub has detergent (notice that's detergent, not sanitizer) that MUST be at least 110 degrees at all times. You don't have to have some kind of mechanical scrubbing system, though that sounds like a cool contraption. A brush, cloth, or nylon scrub pad is acceptable. This solution must be changed when the suds are gone or the water is dirty.
2)The second compartment, which doesn't have to have sitting water, must again be at least 110 degrees. Either immerse or rinse away all soap and food particles with said hot water (yes, you don't have to get them all of in the detergent stage).
3)The third compartment can either be hot water or a sanitizing solution. Hot water immersion use requires water to be no less than 171 degrees, but again, Madison may require even higher temps. The items MUST be immersed for thirty seconds, which means the sanitizing station needs to have a clock as well. For sanitizer, the solution must be mixed properly with the proper water temperature, which needs to be tested regularly with a testing kit to ensure proper concentration.
4)Lastly, and from the sounds of it, most abused, the items NEED TO BE AIR DRIED! The bar cannot use glasses that are still wet with sanitizer. If you see this, I would either ask what the last compartment is (I might feel safer having boiling water rather than sanitizer in my drink) or just ask for a dry glass/plastic cup. Health inspectors are generally not the nicest people, and I guarentee they wouldn't take "we get too busy to let the glasses dry" as an acceptable excuse for not letting the glasses dry.
ms4denmark
Forum Addict

Previous

Return to Beer, wine & cocktails