MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Wednesday, October 22, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 36.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Anyone been to "The Brink Lounge?"

Bars, wine, beer, cocktails, drunken escapades

Re: Brink

Postby Frank Booth » Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:47 am

Siebers wrote:I wonder why all the hate for the K-Fed. People jealous that the guy has the money to do what he wants? Shut the fuck up about it. He can do whatever he wants. and it is HIS kids if he sees fit to make her pay well she signed the fucking wedding papers so WHO is the dumbshit? yeah yeah we all love brittney but that doesnt mean that he is unfair. It is biz man and if you wanna play you gotta pay. All of you with no dollars and no knowlegde are so quick to judge.
Frank Booth
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 281
Joined: Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:07 am
Location: Ben's

Re: Brink

Postby blunt » Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:02 pm

Frank Booth wrote:
Siebers wrote:I wonder why all the hate for the K-Fed. People jealous that the guy has the money to do what he wants? Shut the fuck up about it. He can do whatever he wants. and it is HIS kids if he sees fit to make her pay well she signed the fucking wedding papers so WHO is the dumbshit? yeah yeah we all love brittney but that doesnt mean that he is unfair. It is biz man and if you wanna play you gotta pay. All of you with no dollars and no knowlegde are so quick to judge.



Curtis may have the bucks to waste in his new upstairs "underground bar"(???!) but Kfed?
FedX? K-put?
No money, no talent, no support---only half the house money, no future, and no hope.
The only people losing worse and feeling more humiliation than Kfed are the Kkids.

And aren't backup dancers supposed to be attractive?
blunt
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 8246
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2001 6:19 pm
Location: Right behind you.

Postby Ed Breakfast » Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:24 pm

Mine aren't. (I need to talk to my agent about that.)
Ed Breakfast
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 819
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2004 4:20 pm
Location: Madison, WI

Re: Brink

Postby Marvell » Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:26 am

Siebers wrote: All of you with no dollars and no knowlegde are so quick to judge.


And all of you with dollars and no knowledge can kiss my ass.

There's biz and then there's gratuitously being an asshole. Here's some math even you can do - Madison's a small town, and the 'haters' yer getting all bitter about here are a significant part of the Brink's potential customer base.

So, yes - that makes you an asshole. So be it.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 6985
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2001 11:28 pm
Location: At one with time and space

Postby Chuck_Schick » Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:33 am

I dunno ... I hear there's a lot of money to be made catering to assholes.
Chuck_Schick
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 10385
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2001 4:41 pm
Location: back atcha

Is Brink's Making Too Much Money?!

Postby Bwis53 » Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:10 am

I know one of the guys in Cool Front and several of my co-workers wanted to go. In a super busy week, I changed my plans just to go see my friend. I call the number on Brink's site to confirm. The person I talked to said 7:00 PM, just like last week's Isthmus . Brink's site has 8. We all talked about food, so I call Brink's again. Person just mentions their appetizers. Never mentions any of the other places in the building. When I get there, I walk upstairs to see if may be they serve more food and they do. I decide to check the rest of the place and look for my friends. The back door has a poster, which says 7:00 PM, for Cool Front. So I decide to go downstairs, order drinks, appetizers and wait. The place does look good. No one shows up til 7:30 PM, the bartender knows nothing, and the band doesn't start til 8:00 PM. I did like the band.

Why couldn't the guy at Brink's say there was food upstairs? My friends ate at the Avenue. And why the big discrepancy between time listed on poster, Isthmus and Brink's site? Why didn't the guy on the phone say the time changed? Looks like bad marketing and bad management to me.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 6388
Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2002 9:39 pm
Location: Bay Creek

Re: Is Brink's Making Too Much Money?!

Postby O.J. » Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:46 am

Bwis53 wrote:I know one of the guys in Cool Front and several of my co-workers wanted to go. In a super busy week, I changed my plans just to go see my friend. I call the number on Brink's site to confirm. The person I talked to said 7:00 PM, just like last week's Isthmus . Brink's site has 8. We all talked about food, so I call Brink's again. Person just mentions their appetizers. Never mentions any of the other places in the building. When I get there, I walk upstairs to see if may be they serve more food and they do. I decide to check the rest of the place and look for my friends. The back door has a poster, which says 7:00 PM, for Cool Front. So I decide to go downstairs, order drinks, appetizers and wait. The place does look good. No one shows up til 7:30 PM, the bartender knows nothing, and the band doesn't start til 8:00 PM. I did like the band.

Why couldn't the guy at Brink's say there was food upstairs? My friends ate at the Avenue. And why the big discrepancy between time listed on poster, Isthmus and Brink's site? Why didn't the guy on the phone say the time changed? Looks like bad marketing and bad management to me.


Speaking of bad marketing, the original name for the Brink was going to be the Curt Von Brink Experience(no kidding).
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2990
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:13 am

Re: Is Brink's Making Too Much Money?!

Postby eriedasch » Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:52 am

Bwis53 wrote:I know one of the guys in Cool Front and several of my co-workers wanted to go.

Why couldn't the guy at Brink's say there was food upstairs? And why the big discrepancy between time listed on poster, Isthmus and Brink's site? Why didn't the guy on the phone say the time changed? Looks like bad marketing and bad management to me.

They probably didn't tell you about the other businesses nearby that also sell food because they are competitors. If you were to call a food place at the mall, do you exepect them to tell you about all the OTHER places that sell food?

Regarding the band starting an hour later than advertised, this may be unprofessional, but certainly not uncommon. If you knew someone in the band and many coworkers going, why not ask them instead of relying on some uninformed bartender? A pretty standard practice of many bands and venues that host them is to advertise the music as starting earlier than it really does to try and get people there early.

I am in no way defending the Brink, have not heard a whole lot of great things about the place, but your complaints don't seem justified.
eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2920
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2001 4:05 pm
Location: east side of Madison

Re: Is Brink's Making Too Much Money?!

Postby O.J. » Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:12 pm

eriedasch wrote:
Bwis53 wrote:I know one of the guys in Cool Front and several of my co-workers wanted to go.

Why couldn't the guy at Brink's say there was food upstairs? And why the big discrepancy between time listed on poster, Isthmus and Brink's site? Why didn't the guy on the phone say the time changed? Looks like bad marketing and bad management to me.

They probably didn't tell you about the other businesses nearby that also sell food because they are competitors. If you were to call a food place at the mall, do you exepect them to tell you about all the OTHER places that sell food?

Regarding the band starting an hour later than advertised, this may be unprofessional, but certainly not uncommon. If you knew someone in the band and many coworkers going, why not ask them instead of relying on some uninformed bartender? A pretty standard practice of many bands and venues that host them is to advertise the music as starting earlier than it really does to try and get people there early.

I am in no way defending the Brink, have not heard a whole lot of great things about the place, but your complaints don't seem justified.


The Brink doesn't serve food, so there really is no competition to worry about(except on drinks, of course). Actually, I'm pretty sure Larry has exclusive rights to serve food at the Ring for the first five years of his lease.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2990
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:13 am

Postby Bwis53 » Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:19 pm

I was impressed with the building's renovation. The old and the new are almost seamless. The guy that answered for Brink's should have told me of the adjusted time, if he had it, the day or two earlier, when I called. (I specifically said to the phone guy, I feel I should spend some money at an establishment with a cover free band. I mentioned my friends wanted to eat a the Avenue and I felt we should spend our money in that complex.) If my group had known before hand, we could have had a meal upstairs, and still had all the drinks downstairs. The bartender was great. I just think there should have been a little cooperation.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 6388
Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2002 9:39 pm
Location: Bay Creek

Re: Is Brink's Making Too Much Money?!

Postby eriedasch » Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:10 pm

O.J. wrote:The Brink doesn't serve food, so there really is no competition to worry about(except on drinks, of course). Actually, I'm pretty sure Larry has exclusive rights to serve food at the Ring for the first five years of his lease.

Sure looks like food to me: http://www.thebrinklounge.com/lounge.shtml

Maybe not a "meal" like Bwis53 was looking for, but food nonetheless. I also know High Noon sells slices of pizza.
eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2920
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2001 4:05 pm
Location: east side of Madison

Re: Is Brink's Making Too Much Money?!

Postby O.J. » Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:21 pm

eriedasch wrote:
O.J. wrote:The Brink doesn't serve food, so there really is no competition to worry about(except on drinks, of course). Actually, I'm pretty sure Larry has exclusive rights to serve food at the Ring for the first five years of his lease.

Sure looks like food to me: http://www.thebrinklounge.com/lounge.shtml

Maybe not a "meal" like Bwis53 was looking for, but food nonetheless. I also know High Noon sells slices of pizza.


Whoops, my bad. Kind of curious what one gets for a five dollar shrimp cocktail.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2990
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:13 am

Postby boston_jeff » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:58 am

This place looks overdone, not sure why anyone would go versus the other two bars in the complex. Trying to do to many things at once. Cloud Nine has that feel (sports bar, restaurant, nightclub), but they pull it off by focusing on good food. And no coffee bar...

The hotel lobby look is nightmarish.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2603
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:41 pm
Location: Near East

Previous

Return to Beer, wine & cocktails

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

moviesmusiceats
Select a Movie
Select a Theater


commentsViewedForum
  ISTHMUS FLICKR
Created with flickr badge.

Promotions Contact us Privacy Policy Jobs Newsletters RSS
Collapse Photo Bar