MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, November 28, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 14.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

A dollar tip per drink is unreasonable

Bars, wine, beer, cocktails, drunken escapades

A dollar tip per drink is unreasonable

Postby Fat.The.Gangster » Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:13 pm

An individual on a recent thread suggested that a $1 tip per drink should be the norm, stating "10%!!!!!!!! Cheap. If you can't afford to go out, perhaps you shouldn't go out. 15% is acceptable. 10% is lame. This is why I tip a dollar a beer. This sort of mentality doesn't help servers pay the bills. Besides, what's the point in tipping if is not to insure prompt service."

I understand that the system is set-up to compensate bartenders and servers with a mixture of wage and gratuity, but I believe our friend and those who share his outlook just help perpetuate the continuing substandard living of hard working individuals by reinforcing poor pay practices. For instance, in British pubs, a tip is not expected because most pubs pay a living wage. In Madison, however, most people expect a gratuity, depite the fact that a tip should be something given without claim or demand and certainly shouldn't be relied upon to produce a decent livelihood (if for no other reason than the vicissitudes of patrons' whims concerning tipping).

Am I advocating no tips? No. But I am decrying the modern practice and stating that a dollar tip per drink is unreasonable.

p.s. Yes, yes, based on my last post it appears I am a complete miser, prone to bouts of avarice, and a complete jackass. Let me save you the time: I disagree.
Fat.The.Gangster
Forum Addict

Re: A dollar tip per drink is unreasonable

Postby white_rabbit » Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:18 pm

Fat.The.Gangster wrote:An individual on a recent thread suggested that a $1 tip per drink should be the norm,

Should be? It is the norm, some tip more, very few tip less but most tip $1/drink.
white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Re: A dollar tip per drink is unreasonable

Postby Fat.The.Gangster » Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:23 pm

white_rabbit wrote:
Fat.The.Gangster wrote:An individual on a recent thread suggested that a $1 tip per drink should be the norm,

Should be? It is the norm, some tip more, very few tip less but most tip $1/drink.

I understand. I am disagreeing with it and those who perpetuate the practice.
Fat.The.Gangster
Forum Addict

Postby Michael Patrick » Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:24 pm

Dude, tip whatever in the hell amount you want to. Just do it, and don't whine about it. :roll:

Of course, you may have to wait a bit longer for the bartender to notice that you are looking for a refill, and you may not get quite as much liqour and more of the mixer in subsequent drinks, but don't do the crime if ya can't do the time is what I say...
Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Fat.The.Gangster » Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:29 pm

Michael Patrick wrote:Dude, tip whatever in the hell amount you want to. Just do it, and don't whine about it. :roll:

Of course, you may have to wait a bit longer for the bartender to notice that you are looking for a refill, and you may not get quite as much liqour and more of the mixer in subsequent drinks, but don't do the crime if ya can't do the time is what I say...

See, this is part of the problem. Every bartender expects a $1 tip even if all he or she did to deserve the tip is to pull a handle, open a bottle, or mix some spirits. Sure, sure, certain bartenders have exceptional skill in mixing drinks (although i haven't met one in Madison) and others can lend a sympathetic ear, but I would say 99% of the time a bartender has done nothing to deserve a gratuity. Over the course of the night, sure, I will leave a tip. But $1 for every beer is unreasonable.
Fat.The.Gangster
Forum Addict

Postby white_rabbit » Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:32 pm

Fat.The.Gangster wrote:Every bartender expects a $1 tip even if all he or she did to deserve the tip is to pull a handle, open a bottle, or mix some spirits...but I would say 99% of the time a bartender has done nothing to deserve a gratuity.

DUDE! You can't be serious. The bartender is the keeper of the booze. If you want to get to the promised land you have to pay the gatekeeper.
white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Michael Patrick » Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:46 pm

Fat.The.Gangster wrote:
Michael Patrick wrote:Dude, tip whatever in the hell amount you want to. Just do it, and don't whine about it. :roll:

See, this is part of the problem. Every bartender expects a $1 tip even if all he or she did to deserve the tip is to pull a handle, open a bottle, or mix some spirits. Sure, sure, certain bartenders have exceptional skill in mixing drinks (although i haven't met one in Madison) and others can lend a sympathetic ear, but I would say 99% of the time a bartender has done nothing to deserve a gratuity. Over the course of the night, sure, I will leave a tip. But $1 for every beer is unreasonable.

Well fucking A, if I was in charge of the world it world it would be a whole lot different, too...
Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Fat.The.Gangster » Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:00 pm

Michael Patrick wrote:
Well fucking A, if I was in charge of the world it world it would be a whole lot different, too...

Thanks for agreeing with me; it's always nice to hear from reasonable people.
Fat.The.Gangster
Forum Addict

Postby Fat.The.Gangster » Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:04 pm

white_rabbit wrote: DUDE! You can't be serious. The bartender is the keeper of the booze.

And more often than not, bartenders know it and imagine it bestows upon them magical powers . . . magical powers that necessitate a one dollar tip per act. I would imagine that if a bar eliminated tipping, more people would patronize the establishment, in turn creating a higher return with which to pay a living wage to their employees. It's a win-win.
Fat.The.Gangster
Forum Addict

Postby Marvell » Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:24 pm

Fat.The.Gangster wrote:I would imagine that if a bar eliminated tipping, more people would patronize the establishment, in turn creating a higher return with which to pay a living wage to their employees.

I would imagine a world of sunshine and rainbows, where children wear gumdrop smiles.

Kee-rist.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Fat.The.Gangster » Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:27 pm

Marvell wrote:I would imagine a world of sunshine and rainbows, where children wear gumdrop smiles.

Kee-rist.

Something tells me you spend more than your fair share imagining what you would do to children.
Fat.The.Gangster
Forum Addict

Postby Fat.The.Gangster » Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:28 pm

Marvell wrote:I would imagine a world of sunshine and rainbows, where children wear gumdrop smiles.

Kee-rist.

Something tells me you spend more than your fair share imagining what you would do to children.
Fat.The.Gangster
Forum Addict

Postby Marvell » Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:34 pm

Fat.The.Gangster wrote:Something tells me you spend more than your fair share imagining what you would do to children.

Fascinating.

Does this 'something' also tell you to show it to the Laker Girls? I only ask because they have this lithium stuff now, and it can make all the little voices go away...
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Fat.The.Gangster » Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:50 pm

Marvell wrote:
Fat.The.Gangster wrote:Something tells me you spend more than your fair share imagining what you would do to children.

Fascinating.

Does this 'something' also tell you to show it to the Laker Girls? I only ask because they have this lithium stuff now, and it can make all the little voices go away...

That "something" is the overriding sense that you have sex with minors.
Fat.The.Gangster
Forum Addict

Postby oranger » Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:50 pm

Things that a bartender after during every order that deserves a tip-
1) Promptly serves you when you are ready to be served.
2) Ensures that your beverage has been poured into an appropriate glass.
3) Charges you appropriately.
4) Is polite and respectful.

Consequences for poor tipping-
1) Slow service.
2) Standard portions.
3) No free shots from the bartender.
4) Getting treated rudely.

Tipping a dollar for every pour is a smart thing to do. It will cost you 5 bucks for the night but is well worth the service if you a) are getting drinks for other people b) you don't want other people to think you are cheap c) want the bar tenders to like you d) you don't want to spend 25 minutes of your evening in line at the bar while tipping customers get served first.

Keep on tipping like a fool. That just means I don't have to wait behind you.
[/quote]
oranger
Forum Addict

Next

Return to Beer, wine & cocktails