MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, December 26, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 38.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Great Taste tix

Bars, wine, beer, cocktails, drunken escapades

Great Taste tix

Postby Thusnelda » Mon May 07, 2007 2:18 pm

So who's goin'? And were the cashbox folks just as anal everywhere else as they were at Wonder's? They herded us into exact numerical order (like it would have made a difference in groups of five :P) and wouldn't take checks from people not in line, even if the person was present.
Thusnelda
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paco » Mon May 07, 2007 3:13 pm

i got in line at 9 at Star, got 4 with about 20 tix left. Not sure it's worth waiting in line for 3 hrs though next year.... about 75 people waited for naught.

what numerical order? We just lined up, and filed in, got what we needed and filed out.
Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Mon May 07, 2007 3:25 pm

Scored tre. Didn't even have to wait in line this year. One of those friend of a friend things. Nice.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Tue May 08, 2007 1:55 pm

Got to JT Whitneys at about 9,and was about 20 people too late. I was fortunate.....a friend was able to spare me two.

I agree it is a lot of running around, and if getting in line 3 hours early still isn't early enough.....gotta wonder if it's worth it. I'll wait until next year to ponder it again though.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Thusnelda » Tue May 08, 2007 3:31 pm

Speak for yourself. The Wonder's line was full by 8; I was in the 40s when I arrived at 6:15.
Thusnelda
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Chuck_Schick » Tue May 08, 2007 3:38 pm

gargantua wrote: ... gotta wonder if it's worth it.

I wonder this every year when I hear y'all report in about how many Wonka Bars y'all had to scarf down to finally score a coveted Golden Ticket.

Honestly, I've never been, but I'm reluctant to stand in line even for concert tickets. And I'm a beer loving fool, but I don't know that sipping urine-sample sized helpings of different beers, most of which I can buy down the street and enjoy on my hammock at home, is my idea of a good time.

Anyway, I drink too many different flavors and the only lasting impression I get is a nasty-ass hangover. Am I just too old for this sort of shit, or what am I missing?
Chuck_Schick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Thusnelda » Tue May 08, 2007 3:54 pm

I believe the consensus was that next year we may attempt a Great Taste of My Apartment.
Thusnelda
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue May 08, 2007 3:57 pm

Chuck_Schick wrote:Honestly, I've never been, but I'm reluctant to stand in line even for concert tickets. And I'm a beer loving fool, but I don't know that sipping urine-sample sized helpings of different beers, most of which I can buy down the street and enjoy on my hammock at home, is my idea of a good time.

Anyway, I drink too many different flavors and the only lasting impression I get is a nasty-ass hangover. Am I just too old for this sort of shit, or what am I missing?

I dunno, the beer fest in Appleton a month or two back was pretty cool. I would not describe the drink size as urine-sample sized. And they're spaced out just enough that you don't get nearly as hammered as you might if you were pounding them. Stop somewhere in the middle for a burger (the venue determines how handy this option is; I would think that most places would at least offer a stand that sold sandwiches or something), and you're golden.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Chuck_Schick » Wed May 09, 2007 2:41 pm

How much do tix for this thing run anyway? I want to know how much beer I can justify buying having not gone to the trouble.
Chuck_Schick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bleurose » Wed May 09, 2007 3:04 pm

tickets were $30 per this year, I believe same as last year.

As for the Taster's Guild reps at Wonder's not taking checks - call bullshit on that one. They took checks from all & sundry as long as you had the common courtesy to wait to get in line until your group of numbers was called. Not an overwhelming task to ask of individuals, I don't think. Yes, they did politely decline to immediately take a check & sell tickets to an individual that was waving a check in their faces before they had even started to sell tickets and yes, they did politely & quietly insist that you wait until it was your turn and then they happily took a check. Called "civilized behavior". But to claim that they "didn't take checks at Wonder's" is crap.
bleurose
Forum Addict

Postby roadkill bill » Wed May 09, 2007 3:30 pm

I go every year, but I have an inside source. Nevertheless, there are always tickets available on the day of the event. Just show up and look for someone with an extra.

I love it, and you can sample beers that you would never get in Madison. Some are just experiments by the brewers, and some are special, small batch brews. If you think of it as a place to hang with friends, grab a bit to eat, listen to music, sit in the sun/shade, walk around and see who's there, and oh, yeah, you get free beer, then $30 for an afternoon of entertainment seems OK.

The setting is beautiful, you can bike, walk, or bus to the event, and I see people I never see the rest of the year. My rule is that I never drink a beer that I could get on tap in Madison or easily find as a 6 pack. And if you don't think it's that good, toss it and get another one. No guilt.
roadkill bill
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Thusnelda » Wed May 09, 2007 3:58 pm

I didn't claim that they didn't take checks at all, merely that they were quite a bit more picky about some aspects of the transaction and not about others. And of COURSE we waited politely until our turn. After all, the pitchers were on the table, not in line :)
Thusnelda
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Chuck_Schick » Thu May 10, 2007 9:23 am

roadkill bill wrote: ... you get free beer, then $30 for an afternoon of entertainment seems OK.

Free beer ... for a $30 fee.

You've got an interesting view of the world, Bill.

Just sayin' ...
Chuck_Schick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Pogoagogo » Thu May 10, 2007 11:38 am

I waited in line for 5 hours at Steve's liquor. I noticed that the organizers were handing out tickets to "special" people behind the dumpster before they went on sale to the general public. They were also selectively pulling people out of line, taking them behind the building, then you shortly heard a single gunshot ring out. Those folks never made it back in line.

I don't understand why the police weren't called. They even had a bobcat out back to bury the evidence.

What's with the Madison Home Brewer's Guild anyway? It appears to be a cult, with strange customs and even initiation rights. Ever go to one of the secret meetings at Wil-Mar? They all wear goat masks and chant strange spells over vats of boiling malt. One of the most popular additives to the brew is chicken blood.

I agree with Chuck, what a fuckin' pain in the ass. My suggestion? Do away with the mail order tickets and have them all available localy only. Or, how about a two day event, and double capacity? It's only beer for chrissake.
Pogoagogo
Forum Addict

Postby roadkill bill » Thu May 10, 2007 2:29 pm

Chuck_Schick wrote:
roadkill bill wrote: ... you get free beer, then $30 for an afternoon of entertainment seems OK.

Free beer ... for a $30 fee.

You've got an interesting view of the world, Bill.

Thanks, I like to think so.

What I'm saying is, it's more than just beer. It's a very nice afternoon, and you also get to sample unlimited amounts of some of the finest brews in the country for 5 hours.
roadkill bill
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Beer, wine & cocktails