MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, September 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 73.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Yuengling

Bars, wine, beer, cocktails, drunken escapades

Postby Thusnelda » Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:04 pm

I believe you're looking for SCRAPPLE, Genie -- one of the favorite foods of this transplanted Delawarean almost-vegetarian. I know what's in it but I can't see it so it don't matta.

Still looking for photographic proof of the Yuengling for my Penn State expat friends.
Thusnelda
Forum God/Goddess

Postby GenieU » Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:37 pm

Yeah, scrapple-its made aughtta, y'know, like corn meal n'nat...
GenieU
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Pogoagogo » Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:55 pm

Always liked the Yuengling Black and Tan.

I remember it being quite good. The last time I had it though, must be 12 years ago or so.
Pogoagogo
Forum Addict

Postby Pogoagogo » Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:15 pm

Ok, you had to go there. Thusnelda, thanks for mentioning scrapple. I've never been too much of a fan, but growing up in your neck of the woods I still have a huge affinity for Pork Roll. Otherwise known as Taylor Ham. God, I wish I had some right now to go along with that Yuengling. A nice pork roll egg and cheese sandwich on a Kaiser roll, with poppy seeds.

So thanks again, I wouldn't be hungry right now, thinking about something so unobtainable if you didn't mention Scrapple.

I wish that Pork Roll (Taylor Ham) was sold around here somewhere.
Pogoagogo
Forum Addict

Postby boston_jeff » Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:53 am

Just returned from Amsterdam and Belgium. Aside from the hash, weed, and magic mushrooms in Amsterdam, the Heineken available there is much better than what we get here (I still don't prefer to drink Heineken unless its all thats available). There is no Amstel Light only Amstel, and one of the Amstel varieties is a non-alcoholic malt liquor. Avoid ordering it in Holland, at least twice friends got stuck with an NA beer, and whats the point of light beer when it isn't even light? The Heineken brewery experience is even cheesier than the Guinness one in Dublin (although you get 3 beers vs. 1). Brugge Zot brewery in Bruges, Belgium is a great tour, very educational, historical, and beautiful views of the city from the roof of the brewery. The beer is excellent, won the 2006 beer cup and sadly, you only get one for being on the tour. Not sure if Zot is in the states yet.

Drank a lot of Hoegaarden, Leffe, Chimay, Orval, and many Krieks in Belgium. For export, got a big bottle of Delerium Nocturne, a Delerium glass, several varieties of Leffe and glasses, and the rare beer I discussed earlier in this thread. Its called Westvleteren and it is the smallest producer of the Trappist brewing abbeys. Their beer is very expensive, because it you want it you have to go there - they don't ship even to other places in Belgium. You have to make arrangements with the monks beforehand and they only have one phone and no answering machine or voicemail. Then you have to drive to the abbey and its only 2 cases per car. No one gets special treatment (including beer wholesalers and store owners) and you have to go through this process each time. They make 3 beers, a 6, 8, and 10%. Bought two bottles to bring back at a beer store and the owner told me that sometimes its only available for a few days every two months (6 euro a pop). He steered me to a local bar where they served it and I had a couple bottles there, it was excellent. The brown (8%) and the blonde (6%) were both amazing. Seek it out if you go to Bruges or anywhere in East Flanders or the North Sea coast in Belgium.

Shipping beer is expensive so I decided to carry it back on the plane. Unfortunately, with carry-on liquid and glass rules as such, all of my beers and glasses had to be checked in my baggage. I wrapped everything in dirty clothes and newspapers, and luckily not one beer or glass broke. I look forward to sampling these all in the next week or so, except for the Westvleteren, it has to be aged at least 2 months for best tasting results.

Btw, Yuengling black and tan is actually pretty good for a premixed, they used to serve it at one of my favorite bars back home for cheap.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Rosemary » Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:51 pm

boston_jeff wrote:Its called Westvleteren and it is the smallest producer of the Trappist brewing abbeys. Their beer is very expensive, because it you want it you have to go there - they don't ship even to other places in Belgium. You have to make arrangements with the monks beforehand and they only have one phone and no answering machine or voicemail. Then you have to drive to the abbey and its only 2 cases per car. No one gets special treatment (including beer wholesalers and store owners) and you have to go through this process each time. They make 3 beers, a 6, 8, and 10%. Bought two bottles to bring back at a beer store and the owner told me that sometimes its only available for a few days every two months (6 euro a pop). He steered me to a local bar where they served it and I had a couple bottles there, it was excellent. The brown (8%) and the blonde (6%) were both amazing. Seek it out if you go to Bruges or anywhere in East Flanders or the North Sea coast in Belgium.

Among some beer enthusiasts, Westvleteren has quite the cult following. (Do a search for Westvleteren or Westy on the forums here, for example, and you'll see the masses frothing over it.) Occasionally, it makes it to the States, but you'll pay dearly. I've only had the 8 -- the dubbel -- myself, but I'm pretty sure I paid upwards of $12 for it. (Bought it in Chicago two or three years ago.) I saw it as a one-time thing; it's quite a privilege to have one of your own, it ages very well, and it's really delicious, but I'm just not a rare-beer hound like some are.

It's a fine thing indeed to have had this beer so close to the source. Good for you for taking advantage of it.
Rosemary
Forum Addict

Postby Ned Flanders » Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:16 pm

Pogoagogo wrote:Ok, you had to go there. Thusnelda, thanks for mentioning scrapple. I've never been too much of a fan, but growing up in your neck of the woods I still have a huge affinity for Pork Roll. Otherwise known as Taylor Ham. God, I wish I had some right now to go along with that Yuengling. A nice pork roll egg and cheese sandwich on a Kaiser roll, with poppy seeds.

So thanks again, I wouldn't be hungry right now, thinking about something so unobtainable if you didn't mention Scrapple.

I wish that Pork Roll (Taylor Ham) was sold around here somewhere.

Scrapple and grape jelly on white. Oh baby.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dust Mite Rodeo » Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:55 pm

Three pages and no one has made this joke yet?:

Q: Do like Yuengling?
A: I don't know, I've never Yuengled!

There, it is done.

I always thought that "scrapple" was composed of miscellaneous organ meats and floor sweepings and whatnot. Was I wrong about this all these years?
Dust Mite Rodeo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby CaptDaytonica » Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:56 pm

I live in the town where Yunegling is made--America's FIRST brewery--and I go home at least twice a year. If any Yuneglheads really really need it, I could haul you back a case.
CaptDaytonica

Previous

Return to Beer, wine & cocktails