MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, December 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 30.0° F  Light Snow
Collapse Photo Bar

Mickey's Really Does Have Good Food!

Bars, wine, beer, cocktails, drunken escapades

Mickey's Really Does Have Good Food!

Postby sitnspin » Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:00 am

If you've driven by Mickey's recently, you can't help but notice the huge "GOOD FOOD" sign in their window.

I went in Friday to check it out, and it's true! Mickey's really does have good (bar) food now. Pizza, burgers, soups, sandwiches... It's nice to finally have a selection of grub to chow on while drinking at my favorite watering hole. They're now a full-service bar imho--Smoking patio outside, great drinks, full menu. Thanks, Mickey's!
:D
sitnspin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby cute hat » Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:12 am

Try the steak salad. It has a ginger-lime dressing and it's damn tasty!
cute hat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:16 am

Where did they put the kitchen/grill? What hours do they serve grub?
white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby blunt » Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:35 am

white_rabbit wrote:Where did they put the kitchen/grill?

That was my first question, too.
Upstairs?
blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby juanton » Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:43 am

I think they hollowed out the area near the door to the smoker's lounge.
juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:20 pm

I considered Mickey's a real bar because they DIDN'T serve food. There's nothing like a drunk who realizes at 11:00 pm that he forgot to eat supper, orders up a big sloppy burger basket and proceeds to make a mess of everything within a 2-foot radius of himself. No one should have to see that. Or clean up after it. (speaking from experience)
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DedeTate » Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:21 pm

I think they stop serving food at 10pm, nightly. I tried the chicken sandwich - delicious!
DedeTate
Forum Addict

Postby white_rabbit » Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:52 pm

narcoleptish wrote: There's nothing like a drunk who realizes at 11:00 pm that he forgot to eat supper, orders up a big sloppy burger basket and proceeds to make a mess of everything within a 2-foot radius of himself.

Thank you for the perfect description of a "real bar".
white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Coplay » Sat Oct 27, 2007 12:22 pm

The good news. There's a new bar food sheriff in town. The food here is tremendous. I had a Mickey's burger that was delicious. My friend had a flank steak sandwich and he loved it. We shared an order of sexy fries and I liked that too. Some of the other folks around us were digging into pizza and a turkey rueben sandwich and giving it a thumbs up. The prices are also very affordable. I've always loved Mickey's, even under the old ownership, but the tranformation of the space over the past few years is pretty impressive.

The bad news. Once springtime rolls around and the patio gets full use, Mickey's is going to get pounded with customers. Last night there was a steady stream of customers stopping by for food. Hopefully they are going to be able to handle all the business.
Coplay

Postby narcoleptish » Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:30 pm

Sorry, but I maintain that food ruins a bar. Mickey's was a classic, cool, one of a kind tavern. Now it's just another fucking bar & grill. RIP.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Coplay » Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:45 pm

I understand what you are saying. However, without making changes, Mickey's may have gone the way of other bars that died after the smoking ban. Given the choice of places to drink on Willy, I'd stll go to Mickey's.
Coplay

Postby narcoleptish » Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:24 pm

I'll get over it and still go back there, but the first time I sit on a ketchup smeared barstool I'm bustin up the place.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:59 pm

narcoleptish wrote:Sorry, but I maintain that food ruins a bar. Mickey's was a classic, cool, one of a kind tavern. Now it's just another fucking bar & grill. RIP.

I'll get over it and still go back there, but the first time I sit on a ketchup smeared barstool I'm bustin up the place.

Bitter much? Is the Weary Traveler is "just another fucking bar and grill"? You would have no problem sitting on a barstool of spilled drink instead of food?

Settle down. Mickey's is still awesome. A friend and I ate there late last week. We started with the quesadillas for starters, then he had the half-chicken while I opted for the mac 'n cheese for entrees. All of it was delicious. We stuck around digesting with more drinks for hours afterwards. The atmosphere is the same.

They're obviously concerned about getting this right. We were asked several times during dinner (maybe a little *too* often) whether everything was ok. We will definitely be back. Smart move, Mickey's. Always better to have something to soak up the alcohol besides bags of artificial-everything chips or frozen pizza.
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby skippy » Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:54 pm

narcoleptish wrote:I considered Mickey's a real bar because they DIDN'T serve food. There's nothing like a drunk who realizes at 11:00 pm that he forgot to eat supper, orders up a big sloppy burger basket and proceeds to make a mess of everything within a 2-foot radius of himself. No one should have to see that. Or clean up after it. (speaking from experience)

When a bar like Mickey's starts serving ginger-lime dressing and puts truffle oil on French fries, a Starbucks on Willy is not far behind. The yuppies have won.
skippy
Forum Addict

Postby skippy » Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:00 pm

ilikebeans wrote:Is the Weary Traveler is "just another fucking bar and grill"?

From my experience, yes it is. They do have great beer there, however. Almost everything about that place is safe and anodyne. Everyone is urban outfitted and looks middle class. No character.
skippy
Forum Addict

Next

Return to Beer, wine & cocktails