MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Sunday, August 31, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 61.0° F  Fog
Collapse Photo Bar

Mickey's Really Does Have Good Food!

Bars, wine, beer, cocktails, drunken escapades

Postby Learned » Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:29 pm

skippy wrote: Almost everything about that place is safe and anodyne.

You go to bars looking for danger and irritation? I can get that at home.
Learned
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:57 pm

So these slackers still only take cash. Talk about saving a nickel to spend a dime! Are their only customers drug dealers? My God, even Perk & Brew takes plastic. How precious can a bar get?
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bekee » Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:56 pm

fennel wrote:So these slackers still only take cash. Talk about saving a nickel to spend a dime! Are their only customers drug dealers? My God, even Perk & Brew takes plastic. How precious can a bar get?

you are aware of the cut that visa and mastercard demand of their customers who take plastic, aren't you? what's wrong with the simplicity of paper money?

there's an atm by the front door if your pockets aren't spilling. it's not that big of a deal.
bekee

Postby fennel » Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:06 pm

bekee wrote:
fennel wrote:So these slackers still only take cash. Talk about saving a nickel to spend a dime! Are their only customers drug dealers? My God, even Perk & Brew takes plastic. How precious can a bar get?

you are aware of the cut that visa and mastercard demand of their customers who take plastic, aren't you? what's wrong with the simplicity of paper money?

there's an atm by the front door if your pockets aren't spilling. it's not that big of a deal.

You're aware of the cut that ATMs take, aren't you? This is a cost usually born by the business because they value your patronage. Imagine what the transaction fees must add up to for a coffee shop. Yet they take the hit as an aspect of customer service and don't expect you to use some dubious ATM run by Billy Bob's fish & tackle & ATM service.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bekee » Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:16 pm

fennel wrote:
bekee wrote:

You're aware of the cut that ATMs take, aren't you? This is a cost usually born by the business because they value your patronage. Imagine what the transaction fees must add up to for a coffee shop. Yet they take the hit as an aspect of customer service and don't expect you to use some dubious ATM run by Billy Bob's fish & tackle & ATM service.

it isn't unreasonable to expect to pay using whatever method you want, but it's not a mistake that they don't take plastic (just so you don't keep thinking they're slackers). maybe i'm just used to it since i'm on the check list. :) i know! who uses checks anymore?!

do you avoid lazy jane's, the crystal, and mother fool's for the same reason?

(also, perk & brew is a chain... that may help offset those nasty fees.)
bekee

Postby fennel » Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:57 pm

bekee wrote:do you avoid lazy jane's, the crystal, and mother fool's for the same reason?

Most definitely unless I happen to have cash on hand. Less patronage is a hidden cost.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bekee » Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:04 pm

fennel wrote:Most definitely unless I happen to have cash on hand. Less patronage is a hidden cost.

cool.

<rerail>

anywho. mickey's kitchen has been operating for over a month with few hiccups. most of the errors are a result of the supplier sending the wrong buns or french fries. but the sexy fries have been selling like hot cakes. the veggie burger is pretty good and the pizza is nowhere near tombstones (which haven't been served there in the last 12 years).

give it a try; just bring cash. :)
bekee

Postby skippy » Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:46 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:
skippy wrote:
ilikebeans wrote:Is the Weary Traveler is "just another fucking bar and grill"?

From my experience, yes it is. They do have great beer there, however. Almost everything about that place is safe and anodyne. Everyone is urban outfitted and looks middle class. No character.

That is an incredibly lame critique of an establishment. A good 50% of your beef with the place is about the people who go there. That is the most superficial BS reason you could provide to criticize the WT.

A bar that has great beer. That sounds terrible to me.

What's superficial about saying the atmosphere sucks because most of the crowd looks like they should be at an Appleby's? Are you saying that patrons are not a component of a tavern's atmosphere? If you enjoy hanging with people who stepped out of a JC Penny catalogue, by all means do so.

To exaggerate, if a bar had a fantastic beer selection but was the hangout of KKK members, I still wouldn't want to go there because of the patrons.
skippy
Forum Addict

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:03 pm

skippy wrote:
TheBookPolice wrote:
skippy wrote:
ilikebeans wrote:Is the Weary Traveler is "just another fucking bar and grill"?

From my experience, yes it is. They do have great beer there, however. Almost everything about that place is safe and anodyne. Everyone is urban outfitted and looks middle class. No character.

That is an incredibly lame critique of an establishment. A good 50% of your beef with the place is about the people who go there. That is the most superficial BS reason you could provide to criticize the WT.

A bar that has great beer. That sounds terrible to me.

What's superficial about saying the atmosphere sucks because most of the crowd looks like they should be at an Appleby's? Are you saying that patrons are not a component of a tavern's atmosphere? If you enjoy hanging with people who stepped out of a JC Penny catalogue, by all means do so.

To exaggerate, if a bar had a fantastic beer selection but was the hangout of KKK members, I still wouldn't want to go there because of the patrons.

And I'm telling you that the two aren't even remotely the same thing.

Refusing to patronize a bar because you don't like what the other patrons are wearing is so mind-numbingly superficial I can't explain it any more clearly.

Refusing to patronize a bar because you don't like racist bigots is in no way the same thing. It's not even just an exaggeration.

My uncles probably all shop at JC Penney, and they're all at the top of the list of people with whom it's fun to drink (except for the one who gets surly when he drinks--then it don't matter what dude wears, I don't wanna be there).
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Beer, wine & cocktails