13%
Great Dane
No votes
Reed's
31%

Total votes : 16

What's your favorite Ginger Ale/Beer?

Postby square » Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:34 pm

I get into a debate over what the best ginger ale/beer is about once a week. I have a 12 pack in the fridge at all times, and I drink a lot of Kentucky Mules. What's your favorite ginger ale/beer? Do you have any suggestions?
square
Forum Addict

Postby Grubendol » Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:48 pm

Vernor's
Grubendol

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:53 pm

I grew up drinking weak-assed ginger ale. Canada Dry and the like. Then about 30 years ago, I first went to Jamaica and tasted real ginger ale/beer. Reed's is a close approximation.

I like to order ginger ale when I fly. It soothes the stomach.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:50 pm

2nd the Vernor's.

Practically the only good thing to come out of my time in Ohio was a taste for Vernor's ginger ale.

Other than that, it was all a bunch of soybeans, auto foundries and inchoate rage. Kind of like Footloose without the Kenny Loggins.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:14 pm

When I'm feeling good, Vernor's.

When I'm ill, Schwepp's.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:28 am

Henry Vilas wrote:
I like to order ginger ale when I fly. It soothes the stomach.

When I was growing up and would get sick, mom would give me Vernor's, she said, to sooth my tummy.
white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby square » Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:12 pm

that's funny, i almost included vernors in the poll but i had never had it and had only seen a 12 pack at the grocery store last week. appears i need to try it.
square
Forum Addict

Postby towanda » Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:02 pm

Vernor's isn't nearly as good as it was before Pepsi bought the company. Now it's just carbonated horse piss.

I voted for Reed's, but that's really my second choice. My first choice, Blenheim's, is not on the list. I haven't found any Blenheim's in Madison yet, though. Maybe I'm not looking in the right places.
towanda
Forum Addict

Postby evansvillehousewife » Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:39 pm

OK- what's the real, spicy, bitey stuff? We stopped at an ice cream parlor on the way back from Viroqua and had a bottle of ginger beer that was so spicy and hot the kids got tears in their eyes and coughed.
We've been missing that stuff something awful.

FTR, there is a little town- crossroads, really- south of Stoughton on HWY 59. Cooksville general store. Going there is like stepping into the 20s. Sarsaparilla. Ginger beers (good, but not as hot as we like) Birch beer, 5 cent popsicles in summer. Violet flavored candies.
But not bitey ginger beer.
evansvillehousewife
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lisalee » Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:00 pm

The super spicy stuff is d&g it's a Jamaican ginger beer. You can get it at Jamerica on Willy st and at Yue Wah on Park st.

By the way, ginger beer and ginger ale are completely different things! In my humble opinion of course.
lisalee

Postby universitylad » Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:54 am

I usually get Canada Dry while on airplanes, but I recently toured the Sprecher Brewery in Milwaukee and found their Ginger Ale to be good too.
universitylad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby square » Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:32 pm

I just bought some Vernor's based on the suggestions here, and I think it tastes like bubble gum. There is no way I am buying their product again. Jone's Soda's ginger ale was the same level of disgusting. While on the opposite end of the spectrum, I had a Stewart's Ginger Beer and that stuff is spicy, but I couldn't possibly drink that because I feel like my throat is gonna corrode. I need a compromise, and Boylan's and Barritt's have been the best solution. I liked Sprecher enough, but if you don't have that stuff cold, it tastes like dust.
square
Forum Addict

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:54 pm

I love ginger ale but, unlike beer, I ain't no snob about it. Thus, I vote for Canada Dry. Why? Because it's 79 cents for a 2-liter at Woodman's!
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dark Meat » Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:04 pm

I think anyone who would classify Vernor's as ginger ale should have his taste buds checked. The one time I drank it, if the person who served it to me hadn't referred to it as ginger ale, I wouldn't have known what flavor they were shooting for. Blech.

I also like Canada Dry as run of the mill stuff goes. Schwepp's pales by comparison.
Dark Meat

Postby Rosemary » Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:20 pm

Forgive my ig'nance, but what's the brand in the yellow and black can that some bars use in cocktails? I've seen it a million times, but had never tried it until the bartender (Brooke at Maduro) let a couple of us finish the can she'd just opened for a drink. Deliciously snappy.
Rosemary
Forum Addict

Next

Return to Beer, wine & cocktails