?
?
6 Domestic - Furthermore Knotstock
Tyranena Rocky's Revenge
Bear Republic Racer 5 IPA
Capital's Prairie Gold
Two Brother's French Country Ale
Ale Asylum Porter

thanks. nice little selection there. no lake louie, ey?
seanpeterson

Postby NullDevice » Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:38 pm

Here's a quick phone-cam pic of the belgians they had on tap.

The Corsendonk? Awesome. I wasn't thrilled by the Duchesse (it's kind of a sweet beer) but my friend loved it. The Framboise was surprising - it was very tart, hardly sweet at all, which was kind of refreshing with the opressive humidity we've been having.

Their bottle list is enormous.
NullDevice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bill6beers » Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:33 pm

Hey all,

Bill here from The Malt House. Our drafts will rotate frequently and what was on 5 days ago might not be on now. We have 12 draft lines right now (6 Belgian, 6 US micros), 6 more in the works, plus 100+ different bottled beers, and a solid and growing whiskey selection. We have a full bar, of course, and I'm told our 3 reds and 3 white wines are pretty good. Not being a wine drinker, for now I have to trust that my vinophile friends are telling me the truth <grin>.

Hours are M-Th 4-12, F/Sa 4-2:30; we're closed on Sundays. For those unfamiliar with the old Union House Tavern the address is 2609 E Washington Ave, which is the corner of E Wash & Milwaukee, across the intersection from the Red Letter News. I don't have my own sign yet -- it's still the Union House sign. There's a Fauerbach neon in the window as you approach from downtown. The building is a single story painted pale yellow with green trim.

On tap now:
Tyranena Bitter
Capital Prairie Gold Belgian Pale Ale
Ale Asylum Big Slick Oatmeal Stout
New Holland Full Circle Kolsch
Two Brothers Domaine du Page French Country Ale
Grumpy Troll "Curly" Scotch Ale

Cantillon Lou Pepe Framboise (raspberry) vintage 2005
St Bernardus Abt 12
De Ranke XX Bitter
Corsendonk Brown Abbey Ale
Duchesse de Bourgogne
Jenlain Biere de Garde

Waiting in the wings are Oud Beersel Kriek, more Duchesse, Piraat, Leffe blonde, St Bernardus Prior 8, Kasteel Triple, Ale Asylum Contorter Porter, and more.

I have ordered Saris' biggest commercial bike rack. It should be here and installed in a week or two. I appreciate all my neighbors who have bicycled over. For now, there's a long chain link fence in the parking lot that you're welcome to lock your bikes to. Four-wheeled patrons will find overflow parking on the frontage road behind the empty Union Corners lot. It's expecially convenient now that the Winnebago/6th street connection to it is paved.

To Rosemary: I have not heard from your friend, either by phone or email. I'm usually here.

Cheers,
Bill
bill6beers

Postby BobArctor » Sun Jun 29, 2008 1:20 pm

Stopped in on my Birthday last week.
Pretty cool.

My GF deleted the pix from that visit because she's pissed that my ex-typist was there, drunk, and grabbed my butt.

Bill, sending the old Union House pix along. :D

Here's the old Union House file from my site.
BobArctor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Learned » Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:19 am

Outstanding selection.

I enjoyed ordering a few tap beers without fearing that the lines would be dirty, thereby rendering said beer undrinkable.
Learned
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nevermore » Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:25 am

I've been quite a few times but probably not anymore after last night. mrs nevermore and I went over after dinner to have one. She wanted a kriek and I ordered one with a St. Bernardus. I got the SB but the tap was spraying out the kriek (like a beer will do at the end of a barrel - all foam), so I told the bartendress to we'll take the other lambic on tap - an $8 one. She proceeds to pour me a blonde (clearly marked on the tap), tells me it's a lambic when I point it out to her, takes my money and walks away.

A little later, the short round bearded guy who I think is the owner was behind the bar and I ordered the lambic. He pours it, and when I told him I got the wrong beer last time says absolutely nothing. Then when he returns with my change, I suggest he talk with his staff about what is on tap so they get orders right and he says absolutely nothing - just a blank stare.

Look, I like going out to bars and I think I try to be a good customer. I've worked behind a bar before so I'm sympathetic (it was half-full, a little busy) when mistakes happen. And I certainly am not looking to get over on anyone, I can pay for my drinks thankyouverymuch, I don't need anything comped. I just ask that you try to give me what I order, don't lie to me and at least acknowledge when mistakes are made. That's all I'm asking. That's not what they did and they lost a customer.
nevermore
Forum God/Goddess

Postby makmadison » Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:45 pm

Hey Bill, is it ok to order in food? Gyros from across the street, or are these to messy and aromatic?
makmadison
Forum Addict

Postby beenie » Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:01 pm

makmadison wrote:Hey Bill, is it ok to order in food? Gyros from across the street, or are these to messy and aromatic?

We order food almost every time we're there, as we usually go after the better half gets out of work.
beenie
Forum Addict

Re: Union House Tavern

Postby Coplay » Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:31 am

I was reading one of the latest posts about a customer having some issues at the Malt House.

Well, it's a weird kind of place. Bill the owner, seems to me to be a quiet kind of guy, with the bar being run like it's in his basement.
The bartenders are half up to speed on their beer knowledge which is balanced by the beer snobs who like to pontificate about different brews. The bar offers excellent beer, but it also brings out an element of people who have to put on the superior act for the benefit of the beer newbies.

The place is ok though. I stop every so often, keep to myself and tune the snobs out. It looks like it will be successful and at least Bill is forthright about what he is trying to do.
Coplay

Previous

Return to Beer, wine & cocktails