MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, December 18, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 26.0° F  Light Snow
Collapse Photo Bar

Good Scotch seliction?

Bars, wine, beer, cocktails, drunken escapades

Postby Bunny Chow » Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:51 pm

We have more bourbon than scotch because that's where my personal tastes are headed these days.

i heard a couple a months ago that bourbon is the new black....in other words, make some room and get rid of all the flavored vodkas.
Bunny Chow
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wallrock » Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:18 am

boston_jeff wrote:Any Glen will do, eh? Try the Mac 12, its like Balvenie, only better. Laphroaig and Lagavulin are my favorite Islays, but only on the rocks and only when I'm really in the mood. Speysides and Highlands are much preferred neat.

We need to get some local place to have a Macallan tasting, one of the more informative spirits-related lectures I've ever been to (plus you get free Macallan swag and pours). The Macallan rep is amazingly informative and knowledgeable, also he's pretty entertaining for a former Buckingham palace guard. You learn all about how all whisky is distilled, the four regions of Scotland and their flavors, and of course the particulars of the Macallan operation. Kicks the shit out of those corny Johnny Walker tastings with the guy in the kilt.

FWIW, they call it single malt scotch whisky, http://www.themacallan.com/

Thanks for the recommendation - I tried it last night and it was top-notch, quite possibly my favorite single-malt yet. Further research will of course be required. The best part was that I conned my buddy to buy my second somehow. I might have to get that Costco membership now.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:34 am

I know what you mean, I'm always looking for comparison, but I always end up back at the Mac 12. Highland Park is supposedly close to the Macallan distillery, and apparently embodies the flavor for a bit less money (as recommended by the Macallan rep). It did not do it for me, but some people swear by it. Also, the oak flavored Macallans (10 and 15--cheaper at the store) do not compare to the "classic" varieties that use sherry casks for aging (that's the trick). I've had Macallan 8 in Europe that was better than the oaks because of the sherry cask.

On a special occasion, you have to try the Macallan 18 (or better yet snag a bottle on sale), its fucking great stuff!
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bunny Chow » Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:12 pm

boston_jeff wrote:Highland Park is supposedly close to the Macallan distillery, and apparently embodies the flavor for a bit less money

Macallan + Highland Park = Famous Grouse

Not a bad blend.
Bunny Chow
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Beer, wine & cocktails