MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, October 2, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 63.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Help a new guy out

Bars, wine, beer, cocktails, drunken escapades

Help a new guy out

Postby udub » Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:11 pm

New to Madison. need some suggestions regarding good beer festivals locally or pretty much anywhere in WI. Have heard great things and now i'm ready to go taste for myself. Thanks in advance.
udub

Re: Help a new guy out

Postby tibor » Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:33 pm

http://www.mhtg.org/great-taste-of-the-midwest

is popular. People actually line up for tickets on the day they go on sale, so plan accordingly.
tibor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dust Mite Rodeo » Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:46 pm

Bogart: Say, pardon me but, could you help out a fellow American who's down on his luck?
Bugs Bunny: [tossing him a coin] Hit da road!
Bogart: Pardon me, but uh...
Bugs Bunny: But could YOU help an American whose down on HIS luck? Here!
Dust Mite Rodeo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:47 am

Most every summer neighborhood festival in Madison has good beer on tap, but yes, the Great Taste of the Midwest is the king-- it's just harder than snot to get tickets if you miss the day they go on sale. But man, if you get hold of one-- plan the entire day off, and bring a camera.

Quivey's Grove may hold their fest again this fall.

I'd also strongly suggest the WORT block party, the earliest of the neighborhood festivals. Partly sponsored by the Madison Area Home Brewers, which also put on the Great Taste, they always have a decent selection ("No Crap on Tap") of maybe a dozen brews over the course of the day, and is small enough to be comfortable. This year it's on May 17th. Admission is free, and there are good live bands, food, and various other vendors.

Just found this link of Madison Area Beer Festivals, although most are not centered around beer. Probably should just be labeled Madison Area Festivals.

Anyone know if the Essen Haus is still holding a summer festival in their parking lot? Seemed like it was petering out last I attended about eight years ago.
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Beer, wine & cocktails