Friday, September 19, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 71.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Ballistic IPA

Bars, wine, beer, cocktails, drunken escapades

Re: Ballistic IPA

Postby LLUrbanUnderachiever » Tue May 26, 2009 2:25 pm

Goober McTuber wrote:
LLUrbanUnderachiever wrote:
Goober McTuber wrote:I did some taste-testing over the weekend, as I currently have sixers of Torpedo, Ballistic and Hopslam (actually, 3 or 4 sixers of the Hopslam). Torpedo is the worst of the lot, kind of a nasty aftertaste. I do drink and enjoy SN’s regular Pale Ale, as well as their holiday Celebration Ale, but the Torpedo just doesn’t measure up.

The Ballistic is the best thing I’ve tasted so far from AA, and I regularly drink their Hopalicious. Very nice beer.

Hopslam is the best beer ever. The honey seems to nicely moderate the massive hops that went into it, and every time I get two beers into a six-pack I decide I better go buy another because it might soon be unavailable.

HopSlam is a great beer, no doubt, but it is also nearly twice the price of the other two and much stronger ABV-wise. Torpedo is a great session IPA.

When it comes to good beer, money is no object. The Ballistic might be a slightly better buy at $9.99 vs $15.49, but I wouldn’t buy another sixer of Torpedo at $1.50. Nasty, nasty beer. Particularly coming from that label.

I'm often of the "drink less, drink better" school as well, but I appreciate a good bang for my buck as well. Agree to disagree on Torpedo. I don't know if you got a bad sixer or what, but I can't think of anything about that beer I'd describe as 'nasty'.
LLUrbanUnderachiever
Forum Addict

Postby Marvell » Tue May 26, 2009 3:29 pm

LLUrbanUnderachiever wrote:Agree to disagree on Torpedo. I don't know if you got a bad sixer or what, but I can't think of anything about that beer I'd describe as 'nasty'.

The gal you woke up next to after drinking too much of it?
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Tue May 26, 2009 3:34 pm

Marvell wrote:
LLUrbanUnderachiever wrote:Agree to disagree on Torpedo. I don't know if you got a bad sixer or what, but I can't think of anything about that beer I'd describe as 'nasty'.

The gal you woke up next to after drinking too much of it?

Heh. Seriously, though, you've got to be careful how many you consume, or it might affect your performance. On the surface, Torpedo-Dick sounds like a good thing, but...
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Tue May 26, 2009 4:09 pm

Can't say I've ever gotten a stale anything from Sierra Nevada. Remarkable really. But Ale Asylum? I've bought so many varying sixers of Hoppalicious that I tend to bypass it for now. It's a shame cuz initially it was a local revelation. A few sour sixers made me shy though. I genuinely hope they get that worked out. If so, I'll be back. When it's right it's delicious.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby LLUrbanUnderachiever » Tue May 26, 2009 4:44 pm

supaunknown wrote:Can't say I've ever gotten a stale anything from Sierra Nevada. Remarkable really. But Ale Asylum? I've bought so many varying sixers of Hoppalicious that I tend to bypass it for now. It's a shame cuz initially it was a local revelation. A few sour sixers made me shy though. I genuinely hope they get that worked out. If so, I'll be back. When it's right it's delicious.

Have always preferred Ambergeddon to Hopalicious, but I've never been a huge fan of the hop profile on most APA's. Give me an IPA or hoppy red any day.
LLUrbanUnderachiever
Forum Addict

Postby rrnate » Wed May 27, 2009 12:07 pm

I have now guzzled enough Hopalicious to feel I've hit my quota for the year. That being said, it is truly delicious. I knew Michigan had something going for it, and this beer really reminds me what it is.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Beer, wine & cocktails