Saturday, December 27, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 27.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

When The Students Are Away, The Townies Will Play

Bars, wine, beer, cocktails, drunken escapades

Re: When The Students Are Away, The Townies Will Play

Postby LLUrbanUnderachiever » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:09 pm

narcoleptish wrote:
Metallicist wrote:
When someone asks me for change I have a scintillating repertoire of about three responses:
1. No.
2. Grunt ("No")
3. Make non threatening eye contact and say nothing
4. Offer them them the still toasty warm half of the tedgy wedger I'm taking back to work.

You ever get hit because you couldn't count?

They did say about 3.
LLUrbanUnderachiever
Forum Addict

Postby narcoleptish » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:31 pm

If they'd said "a couple three" I would have let it slide for sheer cuteness .

I'm guessing I'll get about three expletives in response.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby blunt » Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:41 am

1) "Do you have any spare change?"
"No. Do you?"

2) "Do you have any spare change?"
"There is no such thing as spare change."

I still think the city should just officially declare panhandlers free-range organic change machines. Let them charge a nickel every fifty cents.

First CityWide Change Bank
blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:52 am

ilikebeans wrote:
Marvell wrote:
rrnate wrote:I'd like to be able to get breakfast at the Marigold at 3 PM too. That being said, I don't have any hotpants, but if wearing them will get me a 3 PM breakfast there, I'm in.

If so, I'm confident in stating that you would be the first person in the history of human civilization to wear hotpants with a sweater vest.

Now there's someone on the street I'd give money to for the entertainment value alone.

Fantastic. Finally I have a "golden parachute".
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kweetech » Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:19 am

blunt wrote:
We call 'em the mudpunks.
Dirty as Scanner Dan but without the manners.
Poor little grunge dogs are starved ribsy and then the mudpunks make a sign begging for dog food.
Shameless.

gutter punks
They're the worst..most live their life by choice.

Back to the original topic...there really isn't much worthwhile downtown barwise that brings me back there anyway...so students gone = meh
kweetech
Forum Addict

Postby LLUrbanUnderachiever » Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:18 pm

kweetech wrote:
gutter punks
They're the worst..most live their life by choice.

Back to the original topic...there really isn't much worthwhile downtown barwise that brings me back there anyway...so students gone = meh

Big Scatz fan?
LLUrbanUnderachiever
Forum Addict

Postby kweetech » Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:55 pm

LLUrbanUnderachiever wrote:Big Scatz fan?

I'll try to stay away from the poop jokes..

I guess I just don't see much reason to head west of Blair for drinking these days...
kweetech
Forum Addict

Postby LLUrbanUnderachiever » Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:06 pm

kweetech wrote:
LLUrbanUnderachiever wrote:Big Scatz fan?

I'll try to stay away from the poop jokes..

I guess I just don't see much reason to head west of Blair for drinking these days...

I appreciate your self-restraint. Outside of Maduro and the Terrace, I wouldn't say I have any favorite haunts in the immediate downtown area either. Not to say I don't make appearances at other locales around the square and around State St, but I know what you mean.
LLUrbanUnderachiever
Forum Addict

Postby Elrond » Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:30 pm

boston_jeff wrote:The honesty of panhandlers is a very important issue to take up. I'm glad you have so much free time, maybe you can design a homeless person lie detector too. I don't know about the rest of you, but when I lived in a big city, I never ran around offering sandwiches, tokens or "ticket booklets" to anyone (seriously). I just gave change occasionally, or passed them by. If they were entertaining, maybe a dollar. WTF right do I have to insist that spangers use the money I give them for what I deem to be appropriate? Its no wonder none of them took you up on it.

I know that many of you think that the homeless in the US are lazy addicts who should get a job, but most are self-medicating mentally ill. Hassling them and taking away what little dignity they have by tossing giant bags of dog chow at their feet or offering half eaten sandwiches to call their pathetic bluffs seems equally pathetic. But whatever gets you off.

What exactly is the difference between 'addict' and 'self-medicating mentally ill'? If you can't stop yourself from drinking/using, the original motivation doesn't really matter. It's a question of willpower and you're an addict. And please explain why these people are owed 'dignity'? If they wanted dignity they'd do something with their lives and get over their addictions.
Elrond

Postby boston_jeff » Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:36 pm

If you don't know the difference, I can't have a dialogue with you.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby crevice beatle » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:55 pm

boston_jeff wrote:If you don't know the difference, I can't have a dialogue with you.

Seems to me like an honest question was asked. Why would you throw out a "you just don't get it like I do" sort of statement?
While I don't agree with the "these people have got to pull themselves up by their bootstraps" mentality, I do have experience with mental illness (firsthand and a 10 year tenure caring for those with varying mental afflictions). A line has to be drawn somewhere... while I consider myself empathetic in most situations, there still are plenty of cases of people who are more than capable of helping themselves--- which was precisely the point of my story with the young woman using her dog to beg for money. It was blatantly obvious none of the money she was given went towards feeding her dog - perhaps it was a bit obnoxious the way my friend dealt with it...nonetheless, as a person afflicted with mental illness, I find it equally obnoxious that one would automatically write off street beggars as mentally ill.
crevice beatle
Forum Addict

Postby holyghost » Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:18 am

Elrond wrote:
What exactly is the difference between 'addict' and 'self-medicating mentally ill'? If you can't stop yourself from drinking/using, the original motivation doesn't really matter. It's a question of willpower and you're an addict. And please explain why these people are owed 'dignity'? If they wanted dignity they'd do something with their lives and get over their addictions.

Fan of Sally Satel, much?
holyghost

Previous

Return to Beer, wine & cocktails