MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Monday, December 29, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 24.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Sick of Dowtown Bars...Suggestions?

Bars, wine, beer, cocktails, drunken escapades

Sick of Dowtown Bars...Suggestions?

Postby day tripper yeah » Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:24 am

It's summer, which means every weekend my friends and I head to the downtown bars and work the usual route: Nitty for power hour, then Brats, then Wandos and then to Brother's. I'm tired of the monotony--any ideas where a group of 21/22 year olds can have a good time away from the college scene?
day tripper yeah

Re: Sick of Dowtown Bars...Suggestions?

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:31 am

Scatz in Middleton I would suppose is the most logical if you go to Brothers/Brats. Club Tavern out there too still has their nights. Like this Saturday. Live Music outside all Day and inside all Night. My band Pine at 10Pm (Shameless Plug). The Bean has been deader than dead but its also not a bad spot for you 21-22yr olds. Monkey Shines off Verona Rd. Volleyball there most nights. A bit classier maybe Draft House in Verona. Great food there actually. Big sports bar kinda place.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stomach » Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:39 am

Don't come around Schenk's Corners or I'll kick your college asses.

*I'm kidding
Stomach
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:44 am

Why not get away from the State Street crowd. Check out Genna's, High Noon Saloon, Madisons, Brocach and Great Dane to name a few. There may be college age customers at those places, but I wouldn't consider any of them "college bars".
Last edited by white_rabbit on Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:46 am

I like all 3 Great Danes. I live close to the one in Fitchburg. The one on Hilldale regularly has some DJ's/Dancing going on on weekends. If you're looking for something smaller and quiet try O'Grady's on Mineral Point Across from the mall. Or if you want the complete opposite of downtown hit up Le Tigre.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:06 pm

I'll put a plug in for Dexter's and Alchemy.

Just stay the fuck out of the Harmony. I have a hard enough time finding a bar stool as it is.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MacHuman » Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:41 pm

Cafe Montmartre or the Cardinal Bar.
MacHuman

Postby Right Bower » Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:06 pm

Try West Main Street:

Start at the Main Depot, hit the Echo, the 'Dice, Shamrock and Genna's.
Right Bower
Forum Addict

Postby robbie webber » Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:33 pm

I am going to assume that either the OP doesn't want to drive to go to bars, doesn't have access to a car, or even better, is a responsible drinker, and chooses to not drive to bars.

Therefore, I'd suggest he simply head farther up State St, or check out the Capital Square and King St area. Buses galore (at least until 11:30 PM), a relatively short walk or bike ride, and way fewer "college crowd" problems and congestion.

Seriously, there are some great bars and restaurants just a few blocks away. How about simply doing a different block, moving away from the State/Lake/University circuit, until you find something you like? Or hike up to the Capital and work your way home.

However, you may have to act like you aren't a moron if you move away from the standard college bars. Or learn to act like a different kind of moron to fit in.
robbie webber
Forum God/Goddess

Postby day tripper yeah » Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:29 pm

Thank you for the helpful suggestions...we've decided to try out Genna's and the surrounding Main St. bars. I guess I forgot to add in the original post that we're a group of girls, and certainly not morons, but I can see how you would get the impression that there are idiots running amuck--thus our exodus from the Univesity Ave crowd. But I'm curious, what is with the hostility towards us college kids?
day tripper yeah

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:35 pm

Your usual route as explained in the OP is enough to make MOST (not all) forons wretch. You'll enjoy the bars around the capitol. Give it a year or two and you may not want to be caught dead in places like Brothers.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:38 pm

fisticuffs wrote:... to make MOST (not all) forons wretch.
Hey, are you verbing a noun? Cut it out!
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:41 pm

Hey, are you verbing a noun? Cut it out!

Consider that noun verbed. Also consider verb verbed as well also too.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby swoon_queen » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:41 pm

day tripper yeah wrote:Thank you for the helpful suggestions...we've decided to try out Genna's and the surrounding Main St. bars. I guess I forgot to add in the original post that we're a group of girls, and certainly not morons, but I can see how you would get the impression that there are idiots running amuck--thus our exodus from the Univesity Ave crowd. But I'm curious, what is with the hostility towards us college kids?

Unfortunately, TDPF (like probably most anonymous forums) can tend towards hostility towards anyone. Best overlooked and taken with a grain of salt, because there's generally more good than bad 'round here.

Genna's et al. on Main will be great. Be sure to stop at the Frequency while you're at it-- usually some good live music going on, and they also have a nice bar that's separate from the stage area.
swoon_queen
Forum Addict

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:15 pm

robbie webber wrote:I am going to assume that either the OP doesn't want to drive to go to bars, doesn't have access to a car, or even better, is a responsible drinker, and chooses to not drive to bars.

What, she couldn't take a cab here in Madison?

(beat)

HA HA HA HA HA HA!

HA!

(wipes eye)

Ha. Aaaaanyway...

day tripper yeah wrote:But I'm curious, what is with the hostility towards us college kids?

Oh, swoon_queen. It has nothing to do with any blanket TDPF hostility, perceived or otherwise. It has everything to do with Foron Nation being a bunch of people who can still look with some fine definition on their college days, but from a position of not being able to replicate those feats of strength as thirtysomethings.

We're bitter farts, lurching irrevocably toward being bitter old farts.

So get offa our Internets!
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Beer, wine & cocktails