MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Thursday, September 18, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 47.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Wollersheim Cab Sauv. Worst wine ever?

Bars, wine, beer, cocktails, drunken escapades

Wollersheim Cab Sauv. Worst wine ever?

Postby Osso Muriendo » Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:47 pm

I'm relatively new to this wine thing being twenty two, but i know what i like and i spent some time this summer drinking across Italy this summer, so I'm not a complete neophyte. That being said my friend bought a bottle of 2007 Wollersheim Cabernet Sauvignon, and i make no exaggeration, that was the worst wine to come out of a bottle that I've ever had. It tasted like another wine ive (unfortunately) but that came out of a bag and was called Franzia.

Wisconsin has a great GREAT local microbrew beer tradition and i kept hearing Wollersheim mentioned in the same breath as those breweries. Frankly it makes me embarassed for the state that we pretend it's good.

Or was Wollersheim's god-awfullness just a poorly hidden secret?

Their wine tried to ruin my thanksgiving!
Osso Muriendo

Re: Wollersheim Cab Sauv. Worst wine ever?

Postby gargantua » Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:26 pm

This brings up a conundrum. I haven't tried this wine. Your post has made me curious about it, since Wollersheim seems to have a pretty good reputation around here. However, since you hated it, I am reluctant to risk BUYING the wine.

I guess, upon really brief reflection, it isn't worth it to me to find out. However if others have tried it and liked it, I might reconsider. Or not, since how do I know if they are just saying that to get me to try this awful wine?

Thanks a lot, Osso.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby iwiw99 » Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:44 pm

You can't grow Cabernet in Wisconsin, at least not well. They probably bought grapes, juice or actual wine and shipped it in. That's strike one even before they get started. Try their Domaine Reds, grown at the winery. Good if a bit esoteric reds. It always amazes me what wineries will slap their label on to make money (and that is exactly is going on here). A Wollersheim Cabernet? Bells and Whistles go off that it is going to SUCK.
iwiw99
Forum Addict

Postby Endo Rockstar » Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:31 am

iwiw99 wrote:You can't grow Cabernet in Wisconsin, at least not well. They probably bought grapes, juice or actual wine and shipped it in. Try their Domaine Reds, grown at the winery. Good if a bit esoteric reds. It always amazes me what wineries will slap their label on to make money (and that is exactly is going on here). A Wollersheim Cabernet? Bells and Whistles go off that it is going to SUCK.

This.

The only grapes that grow in Wisconsin make very sweet wines. That's not to say there isn't a rich wine-making tradition in our area, there is. Its just a little different. We tend to have amazing recipes for making wine out of everything other than grapes. Dandelion wine is still a staple of every family reunion on my ma's side. Do yourself a favor and try some Meade, Honey wines. I usually hate the sweet stuff, but it's surprisingly light and crisp and there's a few great ones that come out of Wisconsin.

Wollersheim found it's niche with its blush, riesling , and the prairie fume. I'm not sure what brought on the cab thing.

-Dan Motor
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:43 am

I find it hard to accept that Wollersheim could produce the worst wine even in a 50 mile radius. Try Botham wine once; If you survive, report back on just how wrong you were about who makes the worst wine around here.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wallrock » Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:55 pm

I've never tried the Wollersheim Cabernet so I can't say either way, in fact I didn't even know they bottled one. I will say that the Domaine du Sac is my favorite wine - I'm not a big wine drinker so this isn't a massive endorsement or anything, but if I'm picking up a bottle of red 8 times out of 10 I'll go with this. As far as their other wines: the Sunburst Red was OK, I like Prairie Fume and Eagle White as far as whites go, and the one time I had the Ruby Nouveau I liked it a lot. Of course the port is good too, but it knocks me on my ass so I tend to limit my exposure (and resulting hangovers).

I do know that Wollersheim ships in grapes from NY and Washington. I took the tour last year and they were quite open about it, since most of the grape varieties don't grow here. If it's from the winery itself it'll say Lake Wisconsin Viticultural Area on the label.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:10 pm

Are you talking bad as in "they did something wrong" or "perhaps this has turned?"

It's far from uncommon to occasionally get a bad bottle that lost its seal. That's forgiveable. However, if it's the former, then no need to risk another bottle of same.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby drinkinblackcoffee » Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:56 pm

I know fuck all about wine, but if someone asks I say my favorite is Wollershein's Prarie Fume. It's cheap and local and if you're not a wine person who can tell the difference, its as good as anything else.
I appreciate the posts about the grapes in Wisconsin, etc. Lots of good bullshit I can reiterate to make me sound smart.
A question about the Wollershein tour- is it worth the trip?
drinkinblackcoffee
Forum Addict

Postby rabble » Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:38 am

drinkinblackcoffee wrote:A question about the Wollershein tour- is it worth the trip?

It's interesting. Not great, but a nice day trip on a nice day. I like touring old places.

But my favorite is the yearly wine tasting. At least, I think it's yearly. It's like an abridged winery tour with wine and cheese stations along the way. When it's chilly they have those lamp post heater things. You get a chart with a list of the wines and you taste them and mark the ones you like, then mix n match yourself up a case or so.

Plus you get in a really good mood. Somebody told me once you were supposed to spit it out.

Ha.

Now that I think about it though, we've never brought home any cab.

Also, I remember them talking about how they don't do the wine stomping festival they used to put on. It seems they were overwhelmed a couple years in a row by people who apparently showed up just to get rip roaring drunk. Shocking.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wallrock » Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:10 pm

drinkinblackcoffee wrote:A question about the Wollershein tour- is it worth the trip?

I went on the tour last year, just before they finished the renovation, with my family and relatives from Illinois and found it to be completely worthwhile. Didn't cost much, took about 45 minutes and then the tasting. They gave us novices tips on proper tasting methods, gave samples of a few preselected wines and then opened it up to requests. I really liked the little chart for grading the different wines. We all ended up getting a couple of cases between us, then hit up the Dorf Haus in Roxbury for dinner. All in all I came away knowing more than I did before, and I can sound at least somewhat knowledgeable talking about wines.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:48 pm

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Adam Powell » Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:43 pm

-
Last edited by Adam Powell on Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adam Powell
Forum Addict

Postby winemaker » Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:29 pm

As the winemaker and co-owner of Wollersheim winery, with 28 years of experience, I'm so glad to see that our wines are generating some comments.
I believe our reputation has been established and proven but certainly will not try to convince the world that we are the best. It wouldn't be our style and would be pompous to even think that way.
By the way, Wollersheim Winery doesn't make a Cabernet.......!
We are grape growers with a 27 acre vineyard and grow grapes suited to the harsh Wisconsin winters. We also have grapes custom grown for us in NY state and Washington state. We currently produce 1.1 million bottles and ferment it all at the winery and bottle on site.
Please come visit and taste, enjoy the beauty, the hospitality and the quality of our wines.
Philippe
winemaker

Postby john_titor » Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:57 pm

Well said.

I personally would have lead with the part about, "Wollersheim Winery doesn't make a Cabernet.......! "
john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:13 pm

I was perusing some wines tonight, and noticed that a Cab was not among the many Wollersheim wines available.

Wonder what Osso actually had, since it's clear that it wasn't Wollersheim.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Beer, wine & cocktails