MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, October 30, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 40.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Bar Loyalty

Bars, wine, beer, cocktails, drunken escapades

Bar Loyalty

Postby jtmehrin » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:26 pm

Are you loyal to your favorite bar/neighborhood?
Are you a known regular anywhere? Just curious.
I've lived in Madison for about 13 years, and have never really been a regular to any particular bar. I have the bars I like, but mostly just end up where ever the night/mood/crowd take me.

Thoughts?

Follow Up question: how do feel about going in a bar you've never been in before? Why won't you go there? I've been to just about everybar in the Capital/State St area, but for some reason I've never been in the Silver Dollar. It's never come up as somewhere to go, and I've never suggested it.
Last edited by jtmehrin on Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jtmehrin

Re: Bar Loyalty

Postby wallrock » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:30 pm

I was close to being a regular at the old JT Whitney's, courtesy of their mug club. It wasn't exactly close to home for me but I still went at least once every couple weeks, and almost always after hockey games. Since it closed down I haven't really been a regular fixture anywhere.

In college my friends and I were basically regulars at the Oakcrest on Regent. I don't know why specifically, but if no one had planned otherwise we'd always just meet up there. Also, I've only gone back there once or twice since graduating, not counting a few game day parking lot beers.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:37 pm

I am known by name to almost all the staff of the following establishments:

The Harmony
Mickey's
The Glass Nickel
The High Noon

Keith Daniels even bought me a beer on my birthday. That's how strong my Eastside bar-fu is.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:05 pm

Back in my bartending days, folks referred to the place where I worked as "Cheers" (ya know, where everybody knows your name). Some people seemed to be drawn to just such an atmosphere. The familiarity of the decor, patrons, employees, etc. WAS the draw. Many of my customers were greeted not only with words, but with their anticipated order already prepared. That said, others were repulsed by the idea of walking in and having a drink ready-and-waiting on the bar. They seemed to prefer the anonimity of unfamiliar surroundings.
I cannot speak for others, but I like a mix of the two. There are plenty of watering holes that know my preferred poison (in addition to my name)- places that I frequent for conversation, entertainment, or just a nice stiff drink. However, I try to avoid finding myself on the same stool having the same conversation with the same people over, and over, and over (I think you get where I'm going with this).
jtmehrin wrote:Follow Up question: how do feel about going in a bar you've never been in before? Why won't you go there?

#1 reason I won't go there- a line outside the door. It absolutely amazes me that people will stand outside for who-knows-how-long waiting for an opportunity to stand shoulder-to-shoulder in an overcrowded bar so that they can then wait in line for an over-priced, watered-down drink. I must be getting old....
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:15 pm

jman111 wrote:#1 reason I won't go there- a line outside the door.

I noticed a line at least a block long over the weekend outside of Plan B. I mean, I know this town is a little short on gay-friendly dance clubs, but c'mon. Looked like at least an hour wait, if not longer.

Never could figure out why anyone would wait outside of a college dive like Brothers though. What, every other meat market along University or State too far of a walk?
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mrak » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:18 pm

jtmehrin wrote:Are you loyal to your favorite bar/neighborhood?
Are you a known regular anywhere?

Dexter's Pub. It's a pretty nice place, with decent food, and they're impressively obsessed with good beers. And walking distance from home.

How loyal? When my wife and I go anyplace else, we refer to it as "cheating on Dexter's".
mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:19 pm

I've been a by-name regular at Nick's for 20+ years.

I'm guessing the bar I've been to most often is the Plaza. Back in the day I went there afternoons / evenings / late night / whenever, but for the last 10 years or so it's been strictly an after-work bar. Afternoons & early evenings at the Plaza are awesome.

I was a regular at Montmartre. :(

Used to be a regular the Essen/Come Back (and later, Up North) complex, but these days not so much. Essen Haus has lost my stein three times.

Used to go to High Noon a lot, but not so much now that I don't work in the neighborhood. It's still an easy walk from my house, though, and it's where I go most often for live music.

Over the past 8 months or so I've become a semi-regular at Maduro. It's really cozy, but on an busy night the smoke can be pretty overwhelming.

I could see becoming a regular at Cooper's. It's so close to home, and isn't quite as crowded as the Old Fashioned after work. Yet, anyway.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:20 pm

Oh, and I was a regular at the 'bou for a couple years when I lived in that neighborhood.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:28 pm

Ducatista wrote:Oh, and I was a regular at the 'bou for a couple years when I lived in that neighborhood.

very sorry to hear that... (kidding!!!)
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:31 pm

May I add that it is often the bartender that draws me, not the venue. A bad bartender can make a great bar miserable, and vice versa.
Good servers have a dedicated following.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby swoon_queen » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:34 pm

ilikebeans wrote:I noticed a line at least a block long over the weekend outside of Plan B. I mean, I know this town is a little short on gay-friendly dance clubs, but c'mon. Looked like at least an hour wait, if not longer.

On my way home Saturday night (around 12:30 AM) there was still a ridiculous line wrapped around Plan B. The cab driver pointed it out and said he'd taken a lot of folks there from the GLBT conference that happened downtown this weekend.

so, there you have it!
swoon_queen
Forum Addict

Postby supaunknown » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:57 pm

I haven't been going out hardly at all lately.
Back in the day it was mainly The 'dise.
Used to hit The Farm, and Pitcher's Pub for Swampwaters.
Musically, wherever. Chamber, O'Cayz, Corral, Anchor, etc.
The Wisco. It's been too long.
Mickey's has been there for me, but I don't enjoy it as much when it's mega-crowded, which fortunately for them is most of the time.
Love the HNS more and more.
I think my Cheers is The Rustic Tap on Park Street. People are real to a fault there.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:21 pm

Ducatista wrote:Essen Haus has lost my stein three times

You too, eh? :(
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HeyZeus » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:47 pm

The Jade Monkey is always a great place to drink with friends.
HeyZeus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:57 pm

I'm most loyal to Mickey's, but I also like Paul's, the Crystal, the Weary, the Wisco, Essen Haus, and Great Dane. Not really a regular anywhere.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Beer, wine & cocktails