MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Sunday, September 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 55.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Capital's Supper Club?

Bars, wine, beer, cocktails, drunken escapades

Capital's Supper Club?

Postby rrnate » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:08 am

OK guys - what is up with the new Capital beer? Something about a supper club? I like the packaging, but I can't really tell what kind of beer it is. (I'm guessing a straightforward lager?)

Anyone here try it yet?
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Capital's Supper Club?

Postby green union terrace chair » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:15 am

rrnate wrote:OK guys - what is up with the new Capital beer? Something about a supper club? I like the packaging, but I can't really tell what kind of beer it is. (I'm guessing a straightforward lager?)

Anyone here try it yet?

I saw it in the store but wasn't swayed from my intended purchase. I suppose it's a "banquet beer" (apologies to Coors), but I can't even guess how that differentiates it from lagers in general.

Is it the beer that was made to go with fish frys?
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:55 am

It's an accessible beer. An attempt, I think, to brew a beer that will appeal to those whose tastes run more toward your Schlitz, your Blue Ribbon, your High Life.

I enjoyed it when sampling one at The Vintage a few weeks ago. I can imagine it served a little colder and out of a bottle (Vintage had it on draft). But when the temperature gets above 90, I enjoy High Life or Old Style out of the can, the colder the better.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wallrock » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:59 am

green union terrace chair wrote:Is it the beer that was made to go with fish frys?

Pretty much. Capital came out with it last summer, only on tap at certain locations. I'm guessing that sales were strong enough to roll it out in bottles this year. It's a straight-up American lager, fairly light and definitely crisp and balanced. It's not my favorite style of beer by a long-shot, but they've definitely created a go-to beer for those times when you just don't feel like a big IPA or dopplebock.

Shepard did a write-up on it last summer: http://www.thedailypage.com/daily/article.php?article=22558
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:08 pm

green union terrace chair wrote:Is it the beer that was made to go with fish frys?

Only if they brewed it with tartar sauce.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby john_titor » Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:23 pm

"Posted Tuesday, April 6, 2010 -- 5:11pm
By Zac Schultz

Middleton: Capital Brewery has been working on their latest beer, Supper Club, for nearly two years. The initial release has gone so well, even the brewery's tasting room is out. Brewery President Carl Nolen says they had 5,000 cases for their opening month. "We sold all of the product for the month of April in two days. It's certainly exceeded our expectations and now we're playing catch up." "

http://www.nbc15.com/news/headlines/90038912.html

To be honest I have not had a Capital beer in a long time. After reading about it selling out and admiring their billboard, I bought some.

A slightly sweet, no hoppy, somewhat malty, intriguingly carbonated rich mouth-feely(heh) beer.

I think the bubbles would make this a good beer to go with a lot of foods, especially fried. The flavors are slight but there is a malty sweetness that could be a bit much at times. I would like to try it draft or off the neighbor's stomach.
john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wallrock » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:17 pm

john_titor wrote:I would like to try it draft or off the neighbor's stomach.

I don't know my neighbors well enough to be doing body shots off of them!
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby chainsawcurtis » Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:45 am

jjoyce wrote: But when the temperature gets above 90, I enjoy High Life or Old Style out of the can, the colder the better.

Out in right field playing Chicago style softball, a hamburger in one hand and an ice cold Pabst tall boy in the other. Nobody can hit the 16" ball that far but if they do I have plenty of time to put the burger in my pocket, the Pabst on the ground and catch the ball.
chainsawcurtis
Forum Addict

Postby gargantua » Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:23 am

chainsawcurtis wrote:
jjoyce wrote: But when the temperature gets above 90, I enjoy High Life or Old Style out of the can, the colder the better.

Out in right field playing Chicago style softball, a hamburger in one hand and an ice cold Pabst tall boy in the other. Nobody can hit the 16" ball that far but if they do I have plenty of time to put the burger in my pocket, the Pabst on the ground and catch the ball.

Sounds like a Norman Rockwell painting. Are you sitting in a lawn chair in the outfield?
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby diaper daniels » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:43 am

It tastes like Leinie's....but more expensive.
diaper daniels
Forum Addict

Return to Beer, wine & cocktails