MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, November 29, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 27.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Satisfaction Jasksin

Bars, wine, beer, cocktails, drunken escapades

Re: Satisfaction Jasksin

Postby rrnate » Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:46 am

kweetech wrote:I find celebration and jacksin to not be very similar in style or taste....not sure where the arguement is founded?

Yup, you ladies need to calm down.

I like Jackson quite a bit, though it's either a bit inconsistent or hits my pallet different ways - sometimes it seems like the malt is too strong vs. the hops, and sometimes it seems like the hops are nicely right out front.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:50 am

Henry Vilas wrote:Yet last year I could get Sierra Nevada's Celebration Ale at half the price. And I rate it as good or even better than SJ.

Two thoughts....

1. Duh - Sierra Nevada obviously has a much larger distribution volume, so yes, it makes sense that their pricing will be lower. (Are you equally impressed by the low, low prices at Wal-Mart?)

2. Where are you getting Celebration Ale so cheaply? ("Half Price" would be $6 a sixer?)
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:05 pm

rrnate wrote: Where are you getting Celebration Ale so cheaply? ("Half Price" would be $6 a sixer?)

Last year SJ went for nearly 15 bucks a sixer. Recently I've been drinking SN's Torpedo Extra IPA. Great stuff. And only seven and half a sixer.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:21 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:
rrnate wrote: Where are you getting Celebration Ale so cheaply? ("Half Price" would be $6 a sixer?)

Last year SJ went for nearly 15 bucks a sixer. Recently I've been drinking SN's Torpedo Extra IPA. Great stuff. And only seven and half a sixer.

Hmm - I don't recall paying that much for SJ anywhere last year - just bought a six pack the other day at Steve's (which I don't consider to be a bastion of good pricing) for $12.

At any rate, clearly you either have stock in Sierra Nevada or are dating the owner.

The other day, I ended up getting stuck with some Point Pale Ale (in cans) and can say it's not as good as any of the pale ales previously discussed in this forum, though I was reminded of the joys of a not-heavy beer.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:05 pm

rrnate wrote:Hmm - I don't recall paying that much for SJ anywhere last year - just bought a six pack the other day at Steve's (which I don't consider to be a bastion of good pricing) for $12.

It was at Steve's (Mineral Point at Junction Rd. store) were SJ was going for $14.99 last year.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Goober McTuber » Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:05 pm

It was $14.99 a 6-pack at Woodman’s last year, $11.49 this year. Again, it says something about the brewer that they lowered the price this year due to lower ingredient costs, considering the way it flew off the shelves last year.
Goober McTuber
Forum Addict

Postby boston_jeff » Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:36 pm

I enjoy Celebration too. Sometimes the anti-Sierra and New Belgium comments get a little old here. We get it--you prefer all locally produced beer to anything from outside WI. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:27 pm

boston_jeff wrote:I enjoy Celebration too. Sometimes the anti-Sierra and New Belgium comments get a little old here. We get it--you prefer all locally produced beer to anything from outside WI.

I'm by no means bashing Sierra - I like Celebration and love Torpedo. I do think New Belgium is pretty overrated by plenty of folks.

boston_jeff wrote:Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

The cheese stands alone.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Goober McTuber » Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:47 pm

boston_jeff wrote:I enjoy Celebration too. Sometimes the anti-Sierra and New Belgium comments get a little old here. We get it--you prefer all locally produced beer to anything from outside WI. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

I like hoppy beers. I just prefer pale ales that are a little better balanced, rather than something that just batters your taste buds with bitterness. It’s not a local thing. Bell’s out of Kalamazoo, Michigan makes some excellent well-balanced ales, as does Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery.

And I've yet to find anything that I really like from either Capitol or New Glarus. I'd take Sierra Nevada over either of them.
Goober McTuber
Forum Addict

Postby Wino » Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:45 pm

The Mrs. and I finally tried this. The interplay between the malt and hops is like a live wire. The finish sails on forever...impressive. She imagined using some to make beef carbonnade this autumn. Will have to set aside a sixer in the cellar.
Wino
Forum Addict

Postby O.J. » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:17 pm

Release party September 1 @ Ale Asylum. Giddyup.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Petro » Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:31 pm

O.J. wrote:Release party September 1 @ Ale Asylum. Giddyup.

I figured it had to be right around the corner.

That Tripel Nova tastes like a blackout.
Petro
Forum Addict

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:00 pm

How has this thread lived this long a life without someone nitpicking the spelling error in the title?
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:11 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:How has this thread lived this long a life without someone nitpicking the spelling error in the title?

Excellent question. Care to enlighten us?
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:18 pm

Um. What?
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Beer, wine & cocktails