Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Monday, July 14, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 70.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Genny Light???

Bars, wine, beer, cocktails, drunken escapades

Genny Light???

Postby madgirl » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:34 pm

Can someone please explain this to me?

I'm a transplanted Upstate NYer, so I grew up in Genesee Beer country. Known as a cheap beer that was often derided ("Buffalo piss water"). We'd avoid it unless we were dead broke and there was nothing else to drink. Moving to Wisconsin, I was glad to live somewhere where there's tons of great brews and microbrews.

So I'm in Sentry recently and notice the guys in line ahead of me have a 30pk of Genny Light. Hunh? Why in the world would anyone drink Genny Light in WISCONSIN? And it even costs more to drink it here!

And this week's Isthmus has a grocery ad for Madison Market and guess what? They have Genny Light on sale!! Please, someone explain this to me - Nostalgia? Homesickness? A love of cheap, bad beer? I am baffled...
madgirl

Re: Genny Light???

Postby gargantua » Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:28 am

A lot of people just don't care what beer they drink, as long as it's cheap. They often haven't been exposed to good beer, or if they have didn't stick with it long enough (i.e. have more than one) to acquire a taste for it.

Fine by me, more good beer for those of us who appreciate it.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jackisonian » Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:16 pm

I like a Genny cream ale when i can get one, they have not been available in the area much. I guess if the light is a round I should look again.
jackisonian
Forum Addict

Postby chainsawcurtis » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:30 am

Back in about '81 or '82 I was in a blues band that played for a Walter Taylor winery ox roast. Huge party (like, a thousand people), lots of wines on tap. The wine maker invited us down to his on site house where he had a keg of Genny Cream Ale on tap in a fridge. Can't speak for Genny light but the cream ale was always a fave in a lot of places in upstate NY. Cheap, yes, but tasty.
chainsawcurtis
Forum Addict

Postby juice » Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:20 pm

I would assume they are college students just trying to get drunk. What gets you more drunk for about 11 dollars in change, a twelve pack of delicious microbrew or 30 beers? Think about that while you eat your ramen noodles.
juice

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:05 pm

Why is light beer like making love in a canoe?

They're both fucking near water.

(An oldie, but a goodie.)
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby EastSideTom » Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:19 pm

I'm also a former resident of Upstate New York, surprised to learn that any flavor of Genesee is available behind the Cheddar Curtain. A click on Wikipedia reveals the following:

"From 2000 to 2009, the company was known as the High Falls Brewing Company. In 2009, High Falls was acquired by the capital investment firm KPS Capital. Together with also newly acquired Labatt USA, KPS merged the two companies as North American Breweries."

So, I'm guessing they're expanding their distribution area. I just came back from a road trip to New York State where I enjoyed Genesee Cream Ale. Still as good as I remember it for an everyday beer. I'll have to look for it here.
EastSideTom
Forum Addict

Return to Beer, wine & cocktails