MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Sunday, December 28, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 27.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

"Your beer is like swill to us."

Bars, wine, beer, cocktails, drunken escapades

Re: "Your beer is like swill to us."

Postby Ducatista » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:57 am

rabble wrote:What can I say, I was young, we'd just bought a house, and it was three bucks a twelve.

Big spender! I could usually scrape up the $1.55 for a sixer of Old Mil, but I don't think I ever budgeted far enough ahead to buy a twelve.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:12 am

Ducatista wrote:
rabble wrote:What can I say, I was young, we'd just bought a house, and it was three bucks a twelve.

Big spender! I could usually scrape up the $1.55 for a sixer of Old Mil, but I don't think I ever budgeted far enough ahead to buy a twelve.

Actually I bought two twelvers every payday. We lived on the gravel roads in the Tomah/Warrens/Black River area then. Payday was once a week, the liquor stores usually had it for 2.89 on Fridays. The neighbors were pretty good about helping out with woodcutting and other chores. We'd all just drive in to each other's driveways to see what needed doing - as long as there was a cold beer involved. But if you didn't have a beer handy every time somebody dropped by, after a while it got harder and harder to find help. So you stocked up.

Lost count of the number of friends who were hard core Bud or MGD fans until they bought a house and switched to Old Mil. In our circles when somebody said "I just gotta stop and pick up a 12 of Homeowner's," everybody knew what they meant.

Them was the days.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:34 am

Liandella wrote:What is the best way to drink Corona? Which is better with it Lemon or Lime, and how do you incorrporate the lemon or lime with the Corona?

The best way to drink Corona is to leave the cap on the bottle.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:22 pm

fennel wrote:
Violet_Skye wrote:I miss Old Style, was always my cheap beer of choice. Anyone know if it's still out there?

For me, it used to be 8-packs of Huber longnecks. $1.89. It advertised itself as a "whole-grain beverage."

I recently re-watched the Blues Brothers and noticed a Huber neon sign as they walk into Bob's Country Bunker.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Violet_Skye » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:23 pm

gargantua wrote:
Liandella wrote:What is the best way to drink Corona? Which is better with it Lemon or Lime, and how do you incorrporate the lemon or lime with the Corona?

Could not agree more.
Violet_Skye
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:31 pm

gargantua wrote:

I'd go so far as to say that's the way it was intended to be drunk. It should be seen and not tasted. Why else would it come in a clear bottle? (A clear bottle, for crying out loud.)
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Beer, wine & cocktails