MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, July 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 66.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Pilsner/Lager Recommendation?

Bars, wine, beer, cocktails, drunken escapades

Pilsner/Lager Recommendation?

Postby john_titor » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:29 am

Kind of back from where I started, I am looking for a domestic pilsner/lager, micro or not, that can offer some taste.

For reference, I have leaned towards German offerings lately. Spaten Pils & DAB specifically. Additionally, while not German, I have been digging Hollandia (sp?).

I am thinking there must be some micro (or possibly macro) out there that could fill my bill.

Suggestions?
john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Pilsner/Lager Recommendation?

Postby Brainraid » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:44 am

Victory Brewing Co's Prima Pils. Available at most liquor stores and Woodmans/HyVee, etc.
Brainraid

Postby kweetech » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:21 pm

Capital does a good job with their lagers. Check out Dave's Brewfarm Select..for a decent light lager in a can. Prima Pils is a great beer too..as mentioned above, but its a little hoppier than standard pilsners..which is good (if you're me)
kweetech
Forum Addict

Postby john_titor » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:08 pm

Thanks, I will check them out!
john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:11 pm

Great Dane has a lighter German pilsner that you might like. I prefer their Peck's pilsner when I'm in a pilsner mood.....a little more assertive than their German variety. I think it's called Verruchestadt Pilsner....something like that.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bill6beers » Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:55 pm

For some really inventive domestic lagers, try the Coney Island beers.
http://www.coneyislandlager.com/
bill6beers

Postby boston_jeff » Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:35 pm

gargantua wrote:Great Dane has a lighter German pilsner that you might like. I prefer their Peck's pilsner when I'm in a pilsner mood.....a little more assertive than their German variety. I think it's called Verruchestadt Pilsner....something like that.

This as well as the usual suspects, and I like Sam Adams Noble Pils too.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby brentron909 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:19 pm

Leinie's Limited. Damn good, without being all carmel-y and fake "complex" ala Classic Amber. But don't take my word for it.
brentron909
Forum Addict

Postby john_titor » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:54 pm

Brainraid wrote:Victory Brewing Co's Prima Pils. Available at most liquor stores and Woodmans/HyVee, etc.

I tried this based on your recommendation. It was a bit too hoppy for what I was after(as kweetech mentions). Almost IPA level. I thank you for taking the time for responding, so please don't feel I am ungrateful. I went nutzo for the hops for a while and kind of got burnt. To go on the complete whiney kick; never been a fan of malt flavor. Don't really care for foo-foo flavors. Not much of a fan of beer that tastes of strong alcohol(thanks college/broke years!). Don't like wiess. I guess it is not much of a surprise that I am over The Great Taste of the Midwest either. Everybody seemed to want to try and out alcohol/hops the other. The crowds grew tiresome as well.

I'll go down the list of what others have recommended and try them out.

With that being said, I am not sure what I am really after. I looked over Woodman's beer coolers. I would love to find a new Mexican beer. (I think I have tried all that is importable) I have always been a fan of Japanese beer. I ended up buying a case of Hollandia tall-boys. Anchor Steam and Cream City Pale Ale from Lakefront beckoned, but I resisted. I'll look for the Coney Island and hit the Great Dane suggestions next time I am there. I have searched for the Capitol beers without success (local beer store), and will need to keep an eye out for the Leinie's. There seems to be a ton of Micros out there I have no idea about. Maybe I'll have to just grab and put together a mix and match case.

I should just brew my own.
john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:12 am

At the risk of losing my cred, I recommend you check out "Simple Times", brewed in Monroe, probably only available in Madison at Trader Joe's. Get the stronger stuff (6.2% for cheap - six pack at like $5) and you will not be disappointed.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby buckyor » Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:23 am

If you really want a good pilsner, why do it half-assed? Do it right and go German. Spaten, Paulaner, & Warsteiner all make a great pils. Accept no substitute.
buckyor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Goober McTuber » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:09 pm

If you're looking to try out different micros, Woodman's offers a lot of them by the bottle at about $1.89 per. Nice way to try stuff out without springing for a sixer.
Goober McTuber
Forum Addict

Postby jtmehrin » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:27 pm

Have you tried Dave's Brew Farm?

http://davesbrewfarm.blogspot.com/2009/ ... elect.html

Its a tasty golden lager in a can from a brewery based in the Eau Claire/Black River Falls area. I had it first at the Racince Brewfest this last year and it was the best beer I tried (especially great on a hot day and after drinking a ton of hoppy/hefty beers).

Pretty sure its at Woodman's, know its at JSM.

theres always Schlitz too!
jtmehrin

Postby Bad Gradger » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:45 pm

john_titor wrote:
Brainraid wrote:Victory Brewing Co's Prima Pils. Available at most liquor stores and Woodmans/HyVee, etc.

I tried this based on your recommendation. It was a bit too hoppy for what I was after(as kweetech mentions). Almost IPA level. I thank you for taking the time for responding, so please don't feel I am ungrateful. I went nutzo for the hops for a while and kind of got burnt.

It sounds like you're more interested in the Czech-style pilsener, which is less hoppy than German pilsner. Next time you're at Woodman's pick up some Czechvar, which is what the actual Budweiser brewery in Budweis has to sell their beer as in this country.
Bad Gradger
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:52 pm

Have you tried Pilsner Urquell (obviously not domestic)?
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Beer, wine & cocktails