MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Monday, July 28, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 73.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Whiskey infusions

Bars, wine, beer, cocktails, drunken escapades

Whiskey infusions

Postby O.J. » Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:24 pm

My interest piqued by a recent episode of Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives, I whipped up a little bacon infused bourbon the other day. The flavor was subtle; I used a maple bacon, so I experienced hints of smoky sweetness, but it wasn't significantly different than drinking the straight bourbon. Next time, I might add a little more bacon fat, but don't want to go overboard. Anyone else try this?

What I enjoyed much better, though, was the anise hyssop* infused rye that I made over the summer. It only took a day for the distinct flavor to be imparted into the whiskey. I made a mock Sazerac, mixing the infused rye(I omitted the absinthe, since the hyssop adds a similar flavor) with bitters, a little simple syrup and lemon peel. It was pretty damn good; very refreshing and easy to make.

Do any of the fine mixologists out here in Foronia have any other suggestions?

*I highly recommend planting this perennial, whether in an herb garden or elsewhere. It grows to about 4 feet tall, with violet foliage, attracting tons of bees and butterflies.

O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Whiskey infusions

Postby joey » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:43 pm

i'm a fan of the regular sazerac. i do rather enjoy a fancy cocktail from places like nostrano very much. my home mixology is very limited though.
i usually do the traditional drinks... the only exciting things i've done was to make a cherry vanilla biters which is pretty good and i have a bourbon cherry bounce hanging out in my basement that i'll crack open possibly on xmas.
joey

Re: Whiskey infusions

Postby city2countrygal » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:46 pm

Nice use of the footnote, O.J.! Thanks for the recommendation on the anise hyssop. I was planning to add lavender to my herb garden, and this looks very similar, but with a much different flavor. I love anise, esp. in sausage. Maybe I'll plant both next spring and experiment!
city2countrygal
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Beer, wine & cocktails