MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, August 29, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 66.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

The Packer Inn no more

Bars, wine, beer, cocktails, drunken escapades

The Packer Inn no more

Postby Remember_Me » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:10 pm

The Packer Inn banner I keep seeing here reminded me to check out the bar as I drove by it yesterday. Except, it was no longer The Pack... it's now called Chief's I think.

I also drove by a few weeks ago on a Saturday night and was perplexed as to why the parking lot was empty and no lights on inside.

My last visit inside was probably early last Summer... and my how the crowd had changed. The place was packed... outside of the bartender, I believe I was the only other caucasian in the joint. Hip hop was blaring from the jukebox and the tension in the air was palpable.

We left after a single drink and I learned later that evening that a woman stuck another woman with a busted beer bottle over a "weave" comment.

Was this local institution just another victim of the hip-hop crowd or does anyone know why the Pack no longer ceases to exist?
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Re: The Packer Inn no more

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:46 pm

Yeah, what the "hip-hop crowd" was demanding was a 50's retro spot to eat Buck's Pizza in.

http://host.madison.com/wsj/entertainme ... 963f4.html
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:25 pm

First time I visited the Packer Inn was mid-to-late 60s, a summer night, and the Goose Island Ramblers were playing in the room on the west end of the building. The place was so packed you could barely get through, everyone was dancing, music was unforgettable, good vibes in every regard. Cottage Grove Rd was two lanes back then, ungraded, and patrons' cars were parked in the ditch for half a mile in both directions.

R.I.P. in a historical sense, though you're right the bar had its problems and nobody with good sense walks around the area much after dark on certain nights -- too much drug dealing. I hope things get better under new ownership. I don't know what happened -- I think the former owners or managers just got old and lost control of the place. When you run a bar these days, you have to BE there, every night, in every sense of the word.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:31 pm

Remember_Me wrote: it's now called Chief's I think.... does anyone know why the Pack no longer ceases to exist?

From what I hear, upon review of a few crucial plays the final outcome of the first Superbowl has been reversed. It didn't get a lot of press. Anyway, I'm pretty sure that has something to do with it.

And if it "no longer ceases to exist", isn't it still there?
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:26 pm

The building's still there.

But The Pack has ceased to exist.

Good catch on the Packer's to Chief's SB 1 name change.

I wouldn't have remembered that.

Sure beats Da Bears Inn.
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Broadsheet » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:00 am

The Packer Inn used to top every restaurant in the city for its annual city food inspection cleanliness ratings. Like, zero violations year after year.
Broadsheet
Forum Addict

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:00 am

"Eat our food and you won't get sick." Catchy slogan, hey?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Broadsheet » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:07 am

Actually, I am mistaken. It was not the Packer Inn that won the honors but the Horseshoe Tavern up the road.
Broadsheet
Forum Addict

Return to Beer, wine & cocktails