MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, December 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 40.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Super carbonated beer

Bars, wine, beer, cocktails, drunken escapades

Super carbonated beer

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:08 pm

Once in a while I buy a sixer of micro/craft beer and every bottle is nothing but foam. The latest was Lake Louie's Kiss the Lips.

What's up with that?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Super carbonated beer

Postby green union terrace chair » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:49 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Once in a while I buy a sixer of micro/craft beer and every bottle is nothing but foam. The latest was Lake Louie's Kiss the Lips.

What's up with that?

I recently had some of that (purchased from a liquor store myself) and it was just fine. Maybe you got a bad batch? I could see that happening more often with a small brewery.

This was more than just the first bottle, after maybe having been rapidly cooled?
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:54 pm

green union terrace chair wrote:This was more than just the first bottle, after maybe having been rapidly cooled?

Put all six bottles in the frig. No different than usual. Opened the first a few hours later. The second an hour after that.

I'll let you know how the third bottle does tomorrow.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:16 am

Do you have them way in the back of the fridge (in a spot where things tend to freeze)?
Or is it possible they were colder than normal when you bought them?

I've seen beers immediately foam over upon opening when they are almost frozen. It had nothing to do with the particular brand/batch/style of beer.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Endo Rockstar » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:25 am

Super cold beer is the culprit. Micro brews tend to be more susceptible.

Any high ABV brew is going to foam up if it gets too cold before you open it. Its also the reason most high quality beer is served at cellar temperature rather than refrigerated.

Let it sit out for a while before you drink it.

Possible thread-jack, is anyone else less-than-impressed with Mai-Bock from Capital this year? I can't shake the feeling Capital is going the way on Leinenkugels.

-Dan Motor
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:37 am

I bought the beer off the shelf (room temperature). My frig is not super cold. I opened another beer next to the super carbonated Lake Louie (it was a Summit IPA) and it poured nicely, with just the right amount of head.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:27 am

My only guess, then, is that it had been shaken up prior to purchase.
That doesn't seem feasible given the time between purchase and the two openings, though. Maybe Mrs. Vilas is messin' with ya.

I'd be anxious to see how beer #3 reacts, after having been stored in the fridge for a few days.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:29 am

jman111 wrote:I'd be anxious to see how beer #3 reacts, after having been stored in the fridge for a few days.

I'll let you know this evening.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Endo Rockstar » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:39 am

Henry, if Mrs. Vilas asks why you're drinking so much just tell her the Forum demands it! For Science!

-Dan Motor
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:43 am

It could be an overcarbonated batch. I've heard about the problem from homebrewers, but never in a commercially-distributed beer.

If the problem is consistent throughout the sixer, I'd give that feedback to the brewery. I'm sure they'd want to know about it.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:12 am

jman111 wrote:If the problem is consistent throughout the sixer, I'd give that feedback to the brewery. I'm sure they'd want to know about it.

I know the brewer and guarantee he would want to know. Best if you could give him one of the bottles to he could see it and analyze the issue. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he gave you a six pack, at the very least, for your trouble. Brewer's name is Tom Porter....great guy.

I homebrewed a batch of overcarbonated stout once. Too bad, as the beer itself tasted pretty good once the carbonation settled down.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:23 pm

jman111 wrote:It could be an overcarbonated batch. I've heard about the problem from homebrewers, but never in a commercially-distributed beer.

If the problem is consistent throughout the sixer, I'd give that feedback to the brewery. I'm sure they'd want to know about it.

I opened the next KIss the Lips over the kitchen sink about an hour ago. I'm glad I did because it put a rootbeer float to shame. After leaving the partially full bottle and a pint glass of foam sitting for some time, enough settled in the glass to drink. Then pour some more from the bottle and repeat. I'm about halfway finished with 12 ounces of beer. At this rate I'll certainly stay sober tonight.

I assume the whole batch is the same way and maybe someone else will tell Lake Louie. Bought it off the shelf (not refrigerated) at the Open Pantry, Regent and Randall on Monday (yesterday).
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:48 pm

I know this will sound silly, Henry, but did you taste it? If not, please do. Bacterial infections are not uncommon in unpasteurized beer and will definitely cause overcarbonation in a sealed bottle. You will know if it's infected...and yes, the brewer needs to be aware if it is infected.
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:03 am

Not only did I taste it, but I drank all six. It took time (and a bunch of kitchen cleanups). Didn't have an off taste and I didn't get sick. Carbonation and the alcohol in beer usually kills bacteria or greatly mitigates any chance of bacterial ill effects.

I went to Lake Louie's website to get an email address to tell them about the problem, but the site is "under construction" and no email address was listed. Maybe they will read this thread.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Endo Rockstar » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:08 am

david cohen wrote:I know this will sound silly, Henry, but did you taste it? If not, please do. Bacterial infections are not uncommon in unpasteurized beer and will definitely cause overcarbonation in a sealed bottle. You will know if it's infected...and yes, the brewer needs to be aware if it is infected.

That's actually a good point Henry, where did you buy it? It's possible they weren't storing their back stock properly. Some smaller stores who don't have enough cooler space have been known to do this....

-Dan Motor
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Beer, wine & cocktails