Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Tuesday, September 2, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 57.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Super carbonated beer

Bars, wine, beer, cocktails, drunken escapades

Re: Super carbonated beer

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:15 am

As I posted on Tuesday:
Bought it off the shelf (not refrigerated) at the Open Pantry, Regent and Randall on Monday (yesterday).

Not refrigerated at the store, so the beer was probably pasteurized. I assume it was stocked on the shelf by the distributor.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Endo Rockstar » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:22 am

Henry Vilas wrote:As I posted on Tuesday:
Bought it off the shelf (not refrigerated) at the Open Pantry, Regent and Randall on Monday (yesterday).

Not refrigerated at the store, so the beer was probably pasteurized. I assume it was stocked on the shelf by the distributor.

Ahh duh.

I was under the impression that Lake Louie was not pasteurized, at least I don't think it was when it first came out.

I know when it comes over to Cork'n'Bottle and Neils Liquor it comes off a refrigerated truck and is taken right into the cooler.

-Dan Motor
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:39 am

Endo Rockstar wrote:I know when it comes over to Cork'n'Bottle and Neils Liquor it comes off a refrigerated truck and is taken right into the cooler.

-Dan Motor

Same with the Zuzu Cafe, where I usually buy it. But the Zuzu is closed on Mondays (until they go to their summer hours) so I went to the nearby Open Pantry instead. Probably won't do that again.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:39 pm

What beer is bottled unpasteurized? As far as I know, only keg beer is unpasteurized (and uncarbonated).
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:13 pm

Many craft brews are unpasteurized.
I would assume Lake Louie isn't pasteurized, but I'm not sure.
Alternatives to pasteurization include filtration and bottle-conditioning.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Chairman Meow » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:07 pm

Definitely contact the brewer; they want to know. Don't be shy, just call their number on the website. They WANT to hear from you.

As with most things, the problem can be multi-faceted. Multiple little issues evilly comingling to create a bigger problem.
-- Beer too cold? NOT a problem (physics of gas/liquids shows that colder temps keep gas entrained in liquid, not the opposite).
-- Infection problem? Possibly. Bacteria are a concern with all brewers.
-- Barley malt issue? Possibly. Certain harvest conditions can lead to bottle gushing.
-- Yeast issues? Possibly.
-- Beer clarification issue? Possibly.
-- Etc, etc, etc.

Long-story-short: Contact the brewer because he cares deeply about his art and cares deeply about you the customer. He is in the best position to trouble-shoot the problem.

Cheers to beer,
Chairman Meow
Chairman Meow

Postby lakelouie » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:22 am

DeAnn here. I told Tom about this when Henry first posted it. He said that he hasn't had any complaints about carbonation, but will check into it. He suspects the beer was on the shelf too long. While we don't pasteurize our beer, Tom has switched to a new filtering system that makes it possible for it to be unrefrigerated while in a store (A/C required). Refrigeration is preferred, but not always possible.

Henry, please give Tom a call. He would be happy to replace the sixer with something a little fresher. 608-753-2675.

DeAnn Porter
lakelouie

Postby Twigz2011 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:37 am

Doug McKenzie: Yeah. OK, well, uh, we found, uh, this mouse in a bottle of YOUR BEER, eh. Like, we was at a party and, uh, a friend of ours - a COP - had some, and HE PUKED. And he said, uh, come here and get free beer or, uh, he'll press charges.
Twigz2011

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:46 am

Actually I'll pass on the free sixer, but thanks for the offer. The gas for a round trip to Arena would make it a wash. I'm glad to know that the entire batch of beer wasn't over carbonated (otherwise I'm sure you would have heard from others about it). I'll continue to buy Lake Louie products, but probably only from the retailer's cooler.

Again, thanks for the reply.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Beer, wine & cocktails