MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Monday, September 1, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 69.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Madison Craft Beer Week

Bars, wine, beer, cocktails, drunken escapades

Madison Craft Beer Week

Postby workboy7 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:15 pm

Just a little self-promotion here...Pooley's will be hosting the cask ale tasting on Sat May 5th.
http://www.madbeerweek.com/kick-off
Diggity's, the fancy-pants hot dog stand inside of Pooley's, will be offering some wursts of the best kind to accompany the brass band playing German drinking songs....
workboy7
Forum Addict

Re: Madison Craft Beer Week

Postby wallrock » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:17 pm

I'm really looking forward to this, and I'm sure all that German drinking music will have me in the mood for encased meats.

There's a ton of things I'd like to do during MCBW but my only for-certain events are this, Great Taste tickets on Sunday and the Abita oyster special at the Bayou. I thought about signing up for that Belgian barrel-aged Quad tasting at the Malt House but it sounds like it could be trouble.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:14 pm

Picks for the week from Robin Shepard:

http://www.thedailypage.com/eats/articl ... icle=36608
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:18 pm

I had a chance to go on the 'Backwoods Beer tour' with Robin last weekend; very cool person, extremely knowledgeable about beer. Also, she apparently has a genetic anomaly that gives her 1000x the taste buds of a 'normal' person. She's, like, a brewing superhero!

Picked up my Craft Beer Week guide. Holy shit! There are so many awesome events that my liver began to hurt just looking at it.

Wednesday night Hop Head Tours is going to be running a free shuttle van around various East side / Downtown drinking establishments.

Sadly, free bacon night at Wando's is not on the itinerary. Which is probably for the best, in that there's sure to be enough chundering going on without throwing some industrial-grade bacon gobbling into the mix.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nichole » Tue May 01, 2012 9:00 am

Seconded, Robyn is awesome. She also hosts the FEMs meetings at Vintage.
nichole

Postby Athena » Tue May 01, 2012 10:29 am

There's too many things going on! I used the website and resized it to a tiny font and still ended up with 16 pages. I'm probably only going to do things that don't require reservations since my husband works too many hours during the week and isn't always able to get out. Also, I'm not sure what sort of shape I'll be in on Sunday night after waiting in line all morning. I do know that I'll try to get to something at both Vintage and Brassiere V as they're both having several great events.
Athena
Forum Addict

Postby gargantua » Tue May 01, 2012 10:53 am

Marvell wrote: Also, she apparently has a genetic anomaly that gives her 1000x the taste buds of a 'normal' person.

For those who may not know, this is a real thing. The term for them is "supertaster", and is much more common to women.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Tue May 01, 2012 12:18 pm

gargantua wrote:
Marvell wrote: Also, she apparently has a genetic anomaly that gives her 1000x the taste buds of a 'normal' person.

For those who may not know, this is a real thing. The term for them is "supertaster", and is much more common to women.

Tetrachromacy also is more common in women (actually I think it only happens in women). http://www.blogadilla.com/2008/06/08/ar ... rachromat/

At least men still have a finer sense of physical comedy.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Athena » Sun May 06, 2012 5:30 pm

The cask ale tasting was a lot of fun. That Central Waters Belgian with honey was incredibly good. After about an hour of drinking, my husband and I stopped in at the bar and got food which was also very good. Today we stood in line for tickets and got lucky and were inside the Capitol Brewery during the rain. Tonight dinner at Merchant with Sixpoint Brewery. Oh, and almost forgot that we went to Vintage on Friday night and I got my Common Thread mug. I was surprised at how well the beer turned out and I love the design of the mug.
Athena
Forum Addict

Postby kimm » Thu May 17, 2012 12:07 pm

I decided I was too effing lazy to sort through the gigantic list of events. Last year it was a managable browse through the listings. This year it seemed spread out, for good or bad. My loss, I'm sure.
kimm
Forum Addict

Return to Beer, wine & cocktails