MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Monday, September 1, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 70.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Choosing a Good Red Wine

Bars, wine, beer, cocktails, drunken escapades

Re: Choosing a Good Red Wine

Postby Wino » Thu May 17, 2012 12:49 pm

Marietta Cellars Old Vine Red blend has pleased many a varied palate of people I've known over the years. Available in wine shops and now Woodman's has started carrying it. It's about $12 nowadays.

The latest release:
http://www.mariettacellars.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/Old-Vine-Red-57.pdf
Wino
Forum Addict

Postby Meade » Thu May 17, 2012 4:23 pm

Boxed wine is much more environmentally friendly than bottled. No glass, no cork. Far less energy is used in the production and transportation of the box compared to the bottle. The wine itself stays fresh longer in the opened box than in the opened bottle - which also adds to its value.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kittenwithawhip » Thu May 17, 2012 5:42 pm

Wine going stale is never a problem in my house. And I always insist on a cork:
http://news.mongabay.com/2010/0228-hance_cork.html
http://www.corkforest.org/faq_cork_facts.php
From the link:
"First and foremost, the trees are not cut down; the outer bark is harvested, by hand, every 9 years. This allows the tree to consume 10 tons more carbon dioxide. The trees in these managed forests live 250-300 years. In maintaining sustainable farming practices, farmers ensure the health of the cork tress in this fragile eco-system.

Iberian Lynx (the most critically endangered feline in the world), Iberian Imperial Eagle, Barbary Deer, Black-shouldered Kite, Corn Bunting, also, millions of North European bird species make their winter home in the cork forests."

I don't drink alot of red wine myself, my sinuses go crazy, but I stock it for my friends. The Gnarly Head is very good and Trader Joe's has a good selection of cheap reds and some decent chiantis.
kittenwithawhip
Forum Addict

Postby sallybell » Thu May 17, 2012 7:07 pm

Meade wrote:Boxed wine is much more environmentally friendly than bottled. No glass, no cork. Far less energy is used in the production and transportation of the box compared to the bottle. The wine itself stays fresh longer in the opened box than in the opened bottle - which also adds to its value.

While I never really worry about wine going stale, Bota Box is actually pretty decent.
sallybell

Postby fennel » Thu May 17, 2012 7:38 pm

K-Whip, I've come across similar reports re cork forests. Isn't that odd? Cork forests are disappearing because a long-sustained market has given way to attempts to save it from itself. That's something even a libertarian could appreciate. But the idea that the forests are being replaced by condos is about as unappealing as one could imagine.

As far as the sinuses, maybe try to find some less-than-mass-produced wines. It depends on what might be triggering your reaction, but from anecdotal reports via friends who have tetchy immune systems, you may have better luck with small producers. No guarantees, of course, but you might also discover some more satisfying wines.

And if pthalates disagree with your inconveniently humanoid biology, stay away from box wines, Bota Tox, or otherwise.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kittenwithawhip » Fri May 18, 2012 10:52 am

Thanks for the tips, fennel, but the reds I prefer are pretty local. Like regional DOC Italian wines, no sulfites, grown in volcanic soil. Still packs my sinuses, even taken with an antihistimine.

I read long ago that Sweden was using cheap Spanish red wine to fuel their buses. Hugely vexing to the Spanish wine producers. Good income yet it was ruining their street cred with wine elite.

The cork forest problems are also vexing. And of course I have to always take the side of the endangered feline! I did find out from that article that you can recycle cork stoppers at Whole Foods, so I am marching my big bag o' corks over there pronto!

Don't worry, I have no plans to slurp wine from a box anytime soon. That's just a gateway drug to wearing kleenex boxes for shoes and making "Mock" apple pie. One must know where to draw that line.
Botox, well, we will see.......
kittenwithawhip
Forum Addict

Postby Meade » Fri May 18, 2012 11:10 am

kittenwithawhip wrote:Don't worry, I have no plans to slurp wine from a box anytime soon.

Such effete snobbery. "Slurp"? Ironically, it's in sophisticated Europe where wine in boxes is widely appreciated, thus creating a market leading to higher quality wines in boxes, leading to greater and greater value and greater environmental payoffs... and so on. Someone here should start a thread inviting historical examples of the damage caused by purism, purity, need to feel pure. The thread would never end.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Endo Rockstar » Fri May 18, 2012 11:28 am

Meade wrote:
kittenwithawhip wrote:Don't worry, I have no plans to slurp wine from a box anytime soon.

Such effete snobbery. "Slurp"? Ironically, it's in sophisticated Europe where wine in boxes is widely appreciated, thus creating a market leading to higher quality wines in boxes, leading to greater and greater value and greater environmental payoffs... and so on. Someone here should start a thread inviting historical examples of the damage caused by purism, purity, need to feel pure. The thread would never end.

Is there any topic you can resist piping-in and turning into a fucking mess? Cause those are the threads I'd like to hang out on.

fucking dolt.

-Dan Motor
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Fri May 18, 2012 2:43 pm

Bummer re the histamine response. That's nearly as unfortunate as being allergic to cats ... lounging, purring, sun-warmed cats ...
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kittenwithawhip » Fri May 18, 2012 3:19 pm

fennel wrote:Bummer re the histamine response. That's nearly as unfortunate as being allergic to cats ... lounging, purring, sun-warmed cats ...

Mmmmmrowrrr!! I hope to spend much of my weekend lounging in the sun along with my languorous felines. Sipping perhaps on a nice cold glass of Falanghina Bianco.
kittenwithawhip
Forum Addict

Postby Bwis53 » Tue May 29, 2012 9:38 pm

I kinda like the Malbec. I've got the Cabernet left to try, and try, and try...

Didn't like Cabernet Shiraz.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Beer, wine & cocktails