MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, August 1, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 84.0° F  Thunderstorm
Collapse Photo Bar

Your campaign beer

Bars, wine, beer, cocktails, drunken escapades

Your campaign beer

Postby Stomach » Fri May 25, 2012 3:49 pm

Inspired by the camping beer thread because I read it wrong when I first saw it.

Lets say you are out on the campaign trail and you are allowed to give any potential voter a single beer. You probably want to be able to appeal to the most people and not come off as a snob, so something basic with wide acceptance might be the best bet. Or maybe not. Its your campaign, you can do whatever you want.

For the sake of this discussion the campaign is in Wisconsin so choose an out of state beer at your own risk.

I'm going with Riverwest Stein. Sure, PBR or Miller High Life are probably safer choices but I want the person to feel like I have given them something special, something that I have put some thought into, yet it is a beer that they will probably like. Nothing too "weird" about it.

Yup, Riverwest Stein from Lakefront Brewery.

Whats your choice?

Happy Memorial Day Weekend everybody!
Stomach
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Your campaign beer

Postby bdog » Sat May 26, 2012 7:00 am

I think you would have to be sure the brewer was on your side, or at least would not make a big stink about you giving away their beer.

PBR was my first thought. But I don't like PBR. I drink Bud Light, which could be a problem.

Then again if you're giving out beer you'd get people that would expect you to drink with them. that is not feasible with a crowd of thousands unless you are Tommy Thompson from 15 years ago.

But you would still have people who would say "where i come from if you buy a guy a drink you drink with him"

I really hate that fucking "where i come from..." shit. Where you come from people try to have sex with dead bodies so FUCK YOU AND WHERE YOU COME FROM.

I really think I should hand out free lemonade instead.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat May 26, 2012 9:39 am

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Sun May 27, 2012 1:49 pm

Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kimm » Tue May 29, 2012 5:00 pm

*snort*
Tough call.
On one hand, I'm weighing Leinenkugel's Amber. Not pretentious, not objectionable to most beer drinkers, strong history, very linked to Wisconsin.

On the other hand, I'm weighing a Central Waters Ouisconsining Red. Small business, good product, from a more rural area, and I like the patriotism in the name. Downfall is that many beer lovers snub the reds.

I'll give this one to the small guy. Central Waters wins.
kimm
Forum Addict

Postby O.J. » Tue May 29, 2012 5:54 pm

I'm not a fan of the beer, but going by Stomach's criteria, I'd have to choose Spotted Cow.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:39 pm

Bought some beer to either celebrate a victory or drown my sorrows. If Walker wins, I got a beer named in honor of my wife (a state worker)... Bitter Woman IPA.

I'll Probably take more shit from Ned for that because he thinks I am being extravagant for buying "expensive craft beer" on a teacher's pension.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:46 pm

bdog wrote:PBR was my first thought. But I don't like PBR. I drink Bud Light, which could be a problem.

Bud Light? Are you rushing a sorority? Seriously, bdog... that's fucking pathetic.

Leinenkugel's Original. Nothing froofy, nothing fancy. Good old fashioned German lager, bold flavor, brewed in Wisconsin, loved by Democrats, owned by Republicans.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:32 am

What beer should President Obama drink on his campaign?

Marketing consultant Laura Ries thinks Bud Light is a good fit for the president.

"Going with Bud Light is a safe choice and is probably the best choice," says Ries. "Bud says 'leader.' I think it is still believed by Joe SixPack across the nation to be an 'all-American' beer. Even though it is owned by a foreign conglomerate now, most people don't think about it. The average person thinks of Budweiser as an American choice."

With all the ramifications involved in a presidential beer choice, the most savvy person involved might be the bartender from Ziggy's. When asked if the chance to meet and serve a beer to President Obama meant that he'd be getting her vote, Ives wasn't saying.

"I try and stay out of the whole politics thing," says Ives. "I see the way people are with it and how angry they get and kind of stay away from it."
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Beer, wine & cocktails