MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, December 18, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 22.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Brothers...Closed or Moving?

Bars, wine, beer, cocktails, drunken escapades

Brothers...Closed or Moving?

Postby jtmehrin » Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:04 am

Drove by Brothers on University yesterday. Signs were down, and the windows were shuttered. Looks like they finally closed down. I work nearby and can't believe there wasn't more of big deal made of the closing.

So are they closing down or just moving - can't find any news on it.

Some would say good riddance, and its not like there's not enough bars in that area. I was never a huge fan of the place, but I did have a few really good nights there. Oh well.

Brothers memories?
jtmehrin

Re: Brothers...Closed or Moving?

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:34 am

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:19 am

Maybe it was a mistake for Brothers to make its cause so specifically about the UW music school. The owners might have had a more effective message if they'd organized against, generally, the faceless behemoth that is the university. Protesting music pedagogy doesn't seem like a PR winner.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:19 am

A little tidbit I wasn't aware of, from the article:
David Giroux from the UW Board of Regents says the UW music school building project has been in the works since 2005. Giroux says Brothers Bar bought the property after 2005, knowing they would have to move when the project got underway.

Not that I was mourning Brothers' departure, but assuming this is true, I now have absolutely no sympathy for them.
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Right Bower » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:39 am

I thought the same thing. Plus, they're getting $2.1 million.
Right Bower
Forum Addict

Postby green union terrace chair » Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:30 pm

ilikebeans wrote:A little tidbit I wasn't aware of, from the article:
David Giroux from the UW Board of Regents says the UW music school building project has been in the works since 2005. Giroux says Brothers Bar bought the property after 2005, knowing they would have to move when the project got underway.

Not that I was mourning Brothers' departure, but assuming this is true, I now have absolutely no sympathy for them.

Well, the University might have had "plans" but they didn't own it, either. And Brothers had been there for around ten years (more?) prior to that. They could have outbid Brothers and just bought it when it was up for sale, instead of waiting and relying on eminent domain.

Right Bower wrote:I thought the same thing. Plus, they're getting $2.1 million.

It sounds like a lot, but finding a similar space, renovating it and reopening it would be a substantial cost.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:42 pm

I've lived here since 1988 and I'm not sure there are many other downtown bars of less consequence than Brothers. It was generally a decent place, but I can't remember a single interesting thing about the place. It always amazed me to see kids lined up outside... you'd rather wait to get into that place than actually be inside and consuming a beverage at another place?

Back in 1990, the last time I cared about the venues on that part of University, it was called Joe Hart's and its partner in crime (literally, as both were known for being full of underage drinkers on any given night) was Madhatters, right across the street. Couldn't get into Hart's? Play human Frogger to cross the street and get into 'Hatters!

At bar time, it seemed like people were either having sex with their clothes on or fighting (or both) at those joints.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:48 pm

I wasn't aware, until looking for the link I posted above, that the Fortney brothers had turned this concept into a franchise of over a dozen locations. Seems like that degree of success might soften the blow of losing their Madison location.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:59 pm

jjoyce wrote:I've lived here since 1988 and I'm not sure there are many other downtown bars of less consequence than Brothers. It was generally a decent place, but I can't remember a single interesting thing about the place. It always amazed me to see kids lined up outside... you'd rather wait to get into that place than actually be inside and consuming a beverage at another place.

Well that's just like, your opinion, man.

I always thought The Pub was just a pit of despair, but many people shed a tear when it went. One man's trash(bar) is another man's treasure(bar).
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Right Bower » Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:13 pm

green union terrace chair wrote:
Right Bower wrote:I thought the same thing. Plus, they're getting $2.1 million.

It sounds like a lot, but finding a similar space, renovating it and reopening it would be a substantial cost.

Yeah, I realize that. This thing strikes me as similar to the Dotty Dumplings deal. I didn't feel bad for them either, and things seemingly turned out pretty damn well for Jeff Stanley.
Right Bower
Forum Addict

Postby Right Bower » Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:28 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:I wasn't aware, until looking for the link I posted above, that the Fortney brothers had turned this concept into a franchise of over a dozen locations. Seems like that degree of success might soften the blow of losing their Madison location.

Brothers was THE PLACE TO BE for 18-21 year-olds in LaCrosse and Eau Claire in the mid-90s.
Right Bower
Forum Addict

Return to Beer, wine & cocktails