MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Wednesday, July 30, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 58.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Sixpoint Resin

Bars, wine, beer, cocktails, drunken escapades

Sixpoint Resin

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:24 pm

A friend and former neighbor gave me a call and said he'll be right over with some beers and a story to tell. He brought over a couple of cans of Sixpoint's Resin IPA. I've heard of Brooklyn's Sixpoint and that it had a Wisconsin connection. The Resin was recentedly named one of the top 2012 beer (so far) by Esquire. The 12 oz. can is tall and thin. Probably cools faster, but also warms up faster once outside the fridge. Anyways, it was close to the best beer I've had in a can.

On to the story. When my friend used to live across the street he found brewing equipment in the basement of his rented two flat. He recently saw a story in the Wisconsin alumni mag about the Sixpoint's owner/brewmaster Shane Welch, who learned his craft homebrewing while a UW student and lived on my street. Another former tenant of the two flat said it was him.

Too bad I never knew Welch, as I would have certainly volunteered as a taster.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Sixpoint Resin

Postby green union terrace chair » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:21 pm

It is really good. But what are you doing drinking it out of the can? Pour it into a glass for cryin' out loud!

Have you tried their Bengali Tiger? Also quite good.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:55 pm

I've managed to quaff all of Sixpoints beers, and there isn't a weak one in the bunch. Hell I can't even call one my favorite. Consistently excellent.
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:21 pm

OK, gotta try it. Where'd you get it, Henry? David?
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:57 pm

Woodies carries the full line of Sixpoint. Look for the unrefrigerated small boxes on the right side of the beer aisle as you head down towards the Wisconsin beers. I'm sipping a Sweet Action right now. Technically a cream ale, but it reminds me of some ales I've had in the British Isles.
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:27 pm

Damn, somebody brought 4-packs of The Crisp and Bengali Tiger on the boat on Friday. Should've tried 'em.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:02 am

david cohen wrote:Woodies carries the full line of Sixpoint. Look for the unrefrigerated small boxes on the right side of the beer aisle as you head down towards the Wisconsin beers. I'm sipping a Sweet Action right now. Technically a cream ale, but it reminds me of some ales I've had in the British Isles.

Thanks--I'll take a look!
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kimm » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:27 am

DH agrees-the Resin is awesome. We liked the Bengali Tiger, too. Slowly working out way down the list. The prices are high, but if it's great beer, we'll keep splurging on a four pack every few weeks. In the last two years we've been embracing the "quality over quantity" principle for alcohol.

Clearly we are getting old.
kimm
Forum Addict

Postby Athena » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:32 am

I went to the Sixpoint beer dinner at Merchant during Craft Beer Week. Everything was excellent and I've been buying the Sixpoint cans since then. I think my favorite was their smokey IPA but I don't think they've done a release of that one.
Athena
Forum Addict

Postby green union terrace chair » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:18 pm

Detritus wrote:OK, gotta try it. Where'd you get it, Henry? David?

Hey, you don't wanna know where I got it?

I'll tell you anyway: Woodman's West. Sadhana on Broom has a couple of the other varieties.

I noticed that the Resin I got was in 12oz cans while Bengali Tiger was in 16oz (as well as Sweet Action, I believe). Do they all come in two sizes or are they brew-specific?
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:25 pm

Their website is down right now, but the brewery might have the answer.

http://sixpoint.com/
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:39 pm

green union terrace chair wrote:

Sorry, I didn't mean to leave you out of the plea. When I get some, I'll specifically raise a glass in your direction.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:39 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Their website is down right now, but the brewery might have the answer.

http://sixpoint.com/

And it's back! I don't see an explanation, but it does confirm that the Resin is 12oz while all the others I've looked at so far are 16oz. Resin is 9.1% ABV, so that's probably the reason.

Obviously it's secondary to the beer itself, but I really like their packaging design. Some microbrews fall into this trap of making label and box design a really low priority, maybe getting someone's nephew to do a quick hackjob on design and then their packaging looks like crap.

Six Point's packaging is clear, attractive and I love the indication of ABV, IBU and SRM right on the label. (I didn't even know what SRM was until I looked it up just now: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_Reference_Method ).
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:40 pm

Detritus wrote:
green union terrace chair wrote:

Sorry, I didn't mean to leave you out of the plea. When I get some, I'll specifically raise a glass in your direction.

And I, mine in yours.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Drinkslinger » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:24 pm

I worked with Shane at the Angelic Brewing Co when he was the assistant brewmaster to Dean Coffey (now at Ale Asylum). He was nice enough to do a sampling and presentation here at the store back in May when he was in town.

Sixpoint has 5 styles in the Madison market:

Resin Double IPA 9.1% ABV
Bengali Tiger American IPA 6.4% ABV
Sweet Action Cream Ale 5.2% ABV
Righteous Ale Rye 6.4% ABV
The Crisp Pilsner 5.4 % ABV

The 6th flavor, a seasonal called Apollo, sold out in the Madison market a few weeks ago. Someone told me Sunday that they drove around town, hitting 7 liquor stores and cleared out all the remaining Apollo (only 2 stores had them left). I was informed to expect the new seasonal in the fall.

Lastly, Sixpoint can be found at most local liquor stores, not only Woodman’s. Here at Trixie’s we carry the full line up, always cold in door #10.

p.s. Avoid warm stacked beer. While the distributors will tell you “It’s fine!” the brewers will tell you different. Tom Porter for years demanded that Lake Louie could only be served cold. It is shipped cold, stored cold and brought to the stores cold. Ask some of the fine people at the Ale Asylum about their thoughts on warm displays of beer….leave the warm displays for Mill/Sears/Coors.

Cheers & shop local!
Drinkslinger

Next

Return to Beer, wine & cocktails